What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2017 Coaching Carousel Thread - Zona hires Sumlin

From Brett McMurphy:

Brett McMurphy
2 hrs ·
Oklahoma State’s Mike Gundy met with Tennessee officials in Dallas on Tuesday, but no decision is expected from Gundy today, sources said.
Gundy had already notified Oklahoma State officials, as required by his contract, of his intention to meet with Tennessee, sources said.

Among the phone conversations Gundy had with Tennessee leading up to Tuesday, included a phone call from former Vols QB Peyton Manning.
Tennessee hopes to land Gundy after its agreement with Ohio State defensive coordinator Greg Schiano blew up behind negative feedback from the Vols' fanbase. Tennessee also reached out to Duke's David Cutcliffe.

Is Gundy, who has talked with other schools in the past, serious about leaving his alma mater? One source says "absolutely," while another isn't so sure. "You might as well say (Nick) Saban is up for the Rice job," the source said.

Sources said Gundy has had “frustrations” in the past with Oklahoma State's administration, especially with his most recent contract negotiations. Gundy recently received a new contract from OSU, worth $4.2 million a year, increasing $125,000 each year. Tennessee could easily top that amount, sources said.

After the 2012 season, Gundy was offered the Vols job, but he turned it down. UT ultimately hired Butch Jones. Sources said last year, he had discussions with Baylor, but the Bears hired Matt Rhule.

Sources said Gundy spoke with Florida officials recently about the Gators job before they hired Dan Mullen.
Gundy has been at Oklahoma State 13 seasons and is the school’s winningest coach. He’s taken the Cowboys to bowls in 12 consecutive seasons.

Initial offer is double what okie lite is paying mullet man.

Result of the first fan reVOLt?

Reset of the reset of the reset.....

Filled jobs:

fUCLA- They strike hard and fast, grabbing the brass ring and landing Chip Kelly. h/t Jens.
UF- Mullen is in, per ESPN.
Ole Miss- Matt Luke it is. h/t nik.

Open jobs:
Oregon St. - Cal OC Beau Baldwin was tapped for the job. h/t nik UPDATE: not so fast, they are still looking. (h/t NW Buff) All AC's, except Cory Hall, fired and told to evacuate the athletic building. Dennis Erickson redux?
Rice- David Bailiff let go. (h/t zapata)
ASU- Graham out. h/t Jens, Pat Narduzzi rumored to be the man. Derek Mason now ramping up. (h/t nik) UPDATE: Herm Edwards is interviewing (cue laugh soundtrack) (h/t cmgoods)
NU- Riley out. h/t Jens. Apparently all in on Frost, after that, who knows? Fuente,?
Arky- Bielema out, ****canned as he walked off the field. Malzahn still has remarkable traction, if not him, probably Norvell or Chad Morriss. Looking to hire AD within the week and HC a week after that.
Kent St.- Paul Haynes out. h/t mdelpizzo
Ga. Southern- Tyson Summers out. Tee Martin has shown interest ( I forget who posted this, so h/t to somebody)
UTEP- Kugler out, Mike Price in for a repeat.
South Alabama- Joey Jones out
aTm- Sumlin out. Rumored to have offered Jimbo Fisher.

Secondary market:

Miss. St.- Mullen leaves for UF. Jeremy Pruitt, Manny Diaz and Brent Venables, Joe Moorhead, Chad Morris and Larry Fedora, although I can't imagine why Fedora would leave UNC for MSU.

In a category all their own:

Tennessee- After enduring Grudcon 1, Rocky Top suffers a case of Grudon dysfunction. Greg Schiano signs a MOU, Vols go absolutely ape**** with legislators, former players, talk show hosts and dog catchers protesting Schiano pedophile allegations. Schiano is told "no thanks" and Schiano's agent, in his best Ray Liotta voice from Goodfellas says "Screw you, pay me." Currie the AD, after having to **** backwards on the issue, is now searching, again. No way Gruden leaves his lofty perch to step in that collective pile of dog doo. Who would? A complete hot mess with a side of vitriol. Fun to watch, unless you are a Vol. Kiffin trolling them mercilessly. Food cart watching the city burn from afar.....UPDATE: Cutcliffe at Duke says no thanks. (h/t Ruckus). Now chasing Mike Gundy, who spurned them in 2012 (h/t Austin Cameron). UPDATE OF THE UPDATE: (h/t Serenity Buff) Mountains of cash being thrown at Gundy, and he is listening, btw, he's a man ya know.

Other news:
TCU- Extended GPat trough 2024 h/t nik
TTU- KliffyK safe h/t onealcd
KU- Beaty confirmed to be back next year.
Mizzou- Barry Odom set for extension.
ISU- Campbell signs extension

This is brilliant - whoever they end up with after passing on Herm will look like a major upgrade in comparison. Props to ASU for intentionally setting the bar REALLY low.

Initial offer is double what okie lite is paying mullet man.

Result of the first fan reVOLt?

Gundy is a smart dude. He is very likely going to come out of this with a big fat contract, likely from Tennessee because T. Boone is not going to play this game again. If I am Gundy, take the Tennessee offer and move on to a new challenge. Oklahoma State would probably move on getting Chad Morris or Les Miles. If he can pull off a 6 year / $48 million dollar deal, he is brilliant!

Sorry mods - I TRIED direct messaging PAHIBuff, but I'm not allowed apparently...and to those that don't care about this dialogue between just us two, apologies on hijacking/diverting discussion a little.

I did watch the 30 for 30 on it, and now I don't think I'm following you on how Duke is corrupt. By corrupt, I'm assuming you feel that Duke is covering something up, or acting amorally while putting a facade of behaving properly. If you enjoyed the 30 for 30, then you'd agree with, or at least appreciate, the argument that the Duke lacrosse scandal was largely driven by an over-ambitious DA, a fraternity-party environment among certain social/athletic circles, the odd relationship and contrast between Duke and Durham, and the unfortunate situation of the stripper's life. The first and last reasons are out of Duke's control. The second is at every school, and having visited and knowing people that have gone there, the party/frat scene at Duke is incredibly pale compared to most schools. Duke could do more I guess to reach out to Durham, but I believe they do to an extent...but again, that's not really corrupt.

As to the things you list in your post, I'm not sure how any of them are corrupt either. Yes, Duke faculty were abhorred about the incident, and the coach was fired. If you're saying the firing was corrupt, I contest your word choice. It could have been premature or a wrongful termination in your eyes, but the university saw the man as being overall responsible for an environment that did not uphold values of the school. And this inability of the coach to get his players to strictly abide the university's values does indeed happen practically everywhere. But again, corrupt is a strong word. What's nefarious about the firing? You could say it was misguided, but corrupt? Are you mad that Duke tried to act in some moral fashion? You can hate Duke all you want, and I get it - it's a strong academic institution that also mostly only wealthy kids attend; it's snobbish. Coach K looks like a rat, and okay, we all get jealous of more successful programs...I get it. Duke sucks - sure. But many factors that led to the Duke lacrosse scandal do occur in many areas of our country - they are not special to Duke.

Using this example to call out Duke is interesting coming from a fellow CU fan, because we also went through our own similar situation with Barnett and the sex scandal. I don't know how old you are, but I was at CU when it was going on. Certain specifics aside, there are many similarities, and to this day, I'll stand by my friends that were on the football team. Were some of the players typical college douchebags, sure. Was there a frat-party environment at CU, especially within athletic social circles, absolutely. Did GB try, but fail, to instruct the players on behaving off the field, sure. Did Boulder have a political environment that was preamturely outraged by the allegations, yes.

College sports is corrupt by pretending that academics are important, and by men making money off of free labor, among other issues. However, to single out Duke because of the lacrosse scandal seems misguided.

The rush to misjudgment and the abhorrent behavior by so many faculty members caused me to use the word "corrupt".

Have to imagine MM's agent has reached out to Tennessee, or will be reaching out very soon

Mike MacIntyre, we'd like to offer you the HC position at UT.

Mac:
78c8943d4fe6f6aff79775846819782e.gif

Back