What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2019/20 CFB Coaching Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Interesting to see what happens there. Texas A&M probably finishes 7-5 this year. His buyout is pretty huge though.

The trend line seems decidedly negative for Fisher at this point in his career. It’s sort of baffling after his incredible early run at FSU.

I don't know how much Jimbo had a hand in what's going on in Tallahassee, but it would be hard to believe that he didn't have any influence on their current problems. I don't really follow them, so what all their issues are, no idea.

I don't know how much Jimbo had a hand in what's going on in Tallahassee, but it would be hard to believe that he didn't have any influence on their current problems. I don't really follow them, so what all their issues are, no idea.

Players had free reign, no discipline, don’t go to class, bad culture. Folks tie it back to the entitlement granted to Mr. King Crab Legs before he went off to the NFL. I’m not close enough to that program either, but I’ve heard it enough to believe it’s at least partially true.

When was the last time Penn State competed for anything before Franklin got there? ....
3 years before Franklin, PSU lost their division on a tie break, tying UW for the best record
3 years earlier, they split the B1G championship with tOSU

Wish Neu had gotten a natty.
He probably could have, had he not bolted. I remember being able to run the ball pretty ****ing well until that changed, quickly. I'm sure he could've wrote a hell of a song, from a canoe, had he won one. :D

Players had free reign, no discipline, don’t go to class, bad culture. Folks tie it back to the entitlement granted to Mr. King Crab Legs before he went off to the NFL. I’m not close enough to that program either, but I’ve heard it enough to believe it’s at least partially true.

I think it was one of the FSU guys (Danny Kanell maybe?) in the media I was listening to recently and he was talking about it like an open secret that Jimbo was done there his final year, stopped caring, stopped recruiting, stopped coaching. Not a great way to leave a place

Many others on this board follow recruiting ranking much closer than I do, and I'll let that data speak for itself, but for those comparing PSU and USC as football powerhouses, the numbers show that fan attendance at PSU is crushing fan attendance at USC. Both have similar sized stadiums, and even if I look at both teams' "bad years", PSU has much better fan support than USC. In 2010, arguably the worst year in the history of that school, Penn St averaged >100k per home game. Last season, coming off a conference championship year, USC averaged ~52k/home game.

This despite USC having a MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH larger metro area to pull fans from compared to PSU.

3 years before Franklin, PSU lost their division on a tie break, tying UW for the best record
3 years earlier, they split the B1G championship with tOSU
Didn’t realize we were talking about competing for division titles but if so the guy who is about to get fired at USC won 2 of those.

PSU won a conference title 6 years before Franklin got there and 7 years before Helton took over, USC was winning their 3rd consecutive Rose Bowl so this idea that USC is toxic or cannot be a juggernaut very quickly is ridiculous.

Many others on this board follow recruiting ranking much closer than I do, and I'll let that data speak for itself, but for those comparing PSU and USC as football powerhouses, the numbers show that fan attendance at PSU is crushing fan attendance at USC. Both have similar sized stadiums, and even if I look at both teams' "bad years", PSU has much better fan support than USC. In 2010, arguably the worst year in the history of that school, Penn St averaged >100k per home game. Last season, coming off a conference championship year, USC averaged ~52k/home game.

This despite USC having a MUCH, MUCH, MUCH, MUCH larger metro area to pull fans from compared to PSU.
Nebraska out draws Clemson - which is the better job?

Didn’t realize we were talking about competing for division titles but if so the guy who is about to get fired at USC won 2 of those.

PSU won a conference title 6 years before Franklin got there and 7 years before Helton took over, USC was winning their 3rd consecutive Rose Bowl so this idea that USC is toxic or cannot be a juggernaut very quickly is ridiculous.
sorry, but your question was about the last time PSU "competed for anything", and I was responding sincerely. if you believe a division champion, which makes a team one win from a conference championship (literally the highest recognized championship in the sport) is 'nothing', I'm guessing that we won't have any meaningful discussion on the topic.

peace

sorry, but your question was about the last time PSU "competed for anything", and I was responding sincerely. if you believe a division champion, which makes a team one win from a conference championship (literally the highest recognized championship in the sport) is 'nothing', I'm guessing that we won't have any meaningful discussion on the topic.

peace
Go back and read the entire exchange before cherry picking that comment - it was in response to Gary’s question “when was the last time the Trojans competed for anything?” My response was to point out that the answer was about the same time PSU had competed for anything.

Further his suggestion is that PSU is a better job due in large part to USC not having won anything lately, when in fact their current coach (who is about to be fired) has won 2 division championships.

****braska out draws Clemson - which is the better job?
I was offering no opinion on which was a "better job" for their respective head coach.

Swinney makes double what Frost makes, so obviously it's Clemson. but not sure what your point was, I was explicitly only speaking to attendance as one of multiple measures of what might make a given school a powerhouse.

but, I'll also note that Clemson and NU differ by ~10% in attendance over the last decade, where PSU has ~180% of USC's attendance. And since you wen t there, I'll point out that Clemson and NU are both in rural areas, whereas USC is literally in the middle of the 2nd largest city in the US. PSU is almost three hours from from the Pittsburgh, a city with <10% of LA's population. Despite having a much larger potential available market, USC's product simply isn't selling.re

but, like I said above, I'm not looking at recruiting rankings; they may very well show that USC is a more attractive HC job.

USC isn’t a powerhouse because they have a rabid, loyal fanbase

I was offering no opinion on which was a "better job" for their respective head coach.

Swinney makes double what Frost makes, so obviously it's Clemson. but not sure what your point was, I was explicitly only speaking to attendance as one of multiple measures of what might make a given school a powerhouse.

but, I'll also note that Clemson and NU differ by ~10% in attendance over the last decade, where PSU has ~180% of USC's attendance. And since you wen t there, I'll point out that Clemson and NU are both in rural areas, whereas USC is literally in the middle of the 2nd largest city in the US. PSU is almost three hours from from the Pittsburgh, a city with <10% of LA's population. Despite having a much larger potential available market, USC's product simply isn't selling.re

but, like I said above, I'm not looking at recruiting rankings; they may very well show that USC is a more attractive HC job.
Who was comparing the two schools as powerhouses? Did I miss that? Most of the discussion I followed centered around a couple posters making the case for Franklin staying at PSU because it was the better job. I’m not sure how total attendance really applies there.

Who was comparing the two schools as powerhouses? ...
me
...Did I miss that? ..
Maybe, but I don't think so -- you responded to my post where I did just that, using that exact word
Most of the discussion I followed centered around a couple posters making the case for Franklin staying at PSU because it was the better job. I’m not sure how total attendance really applies there.
cool man, but like I said above, since you consider conference championships to be nothing, we're not likely to find common ground on this subject

appreciate the discussion though -- have a great night

Toxic? No. Does James Franklin have it better where he is ATM? That argument can be made. Given Bohn's track record of hires here (closest comparison to the job he just accepted), I think the odds are higher that SC underachieves (food cart jokes aside) and winds up with somebody we're not talking about than they get one of the home runs theyre talking about (Urban Meyer or Franklin).

I think it completely depends on how you define a better job. Money, tradition, fan/admin/booster support and expectations, location for personal reasons, location for recruiting reasons, conference affiliation, divisional opponents, ease of winning big, etc. I don't think people should look at history when determining what's a better job in 2020 and beyond.

1. Money - All big time programs are going to be about equal when it comes to this = Wash
2. Tradition - Shockingly similar win % over the last 50 years (.723 for SC and .731 for PSU), SC has a lot more Nattys but if you only go back 40 years, it's 2-1 in favor of SC. Bowl records are almost exactly even, and conference/division titles are heavily in favor of SC. = If you're staying semi recent, this is a wash, IMO, maybe a slight lean to USC
3. Fan/Admin/Booster Support and Expectations = Lower expectations at PSU probably. Fan support definitely goes to PSU = Edge is PSU
4. Location for Personal Reasons = Who knows, but LA is likely more desirable for most people, outside of population and cost of living = Wash
5. Location for Recruiting Reasons = USC is the no brainer, although PSU recruits nationally and that area of the country isn't devoid of talent at all = USC
6. Conference Affiliation = For monetary purposes, PSU by a mile.
7. Divisional opponents = USC by a mile
8. Ease of winning big = USC due to the easier division and recruiting advantages

I think the biggest ones for being considered a better job are 5, 3, 7, 8, 6 - in that order - which adds up to a 3-2 advantage for USC.

giphy.gif
Great post! I think #6 is the most important factor and the reason that he never considers USC. There are a lot of people connected to college sports that don’t think the Pac-12 is going to be viable as a national brand much longer. The revenue gap is enormous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back