What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2019/20 CFB Coaching Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.
USF lost to Temple last night to drop to 4-5. Cincy, Memphis, and UCF to close out the season means 4-8 is looking likely.

At the moment, USF has lost 11 of its last 15, with ten of those losses by double digits.

Charlie Strong has to be done.
Strong has not delivered since Louisville. I assume he is sending Christmas cards to Teddy Bridgewater.

I'd love it. Itd be entertaining as hell, and the comedy value may be almost as thread worthy as ****braska
Part of me worries that the glee we are showing with the possibility of such a hiring at FSU is similar to the joy expressed when ASU hired Herm.

I know they're different for a wide variety of reasons, but our collective reaction is pretty similar.

Last edited:
I think it completely depends on how you define a better job. Money, tradition, fan/admin/booster support and expectations, location for personal reasons, location for recruiting reasons, conference affiliation, divisional opponents, ease of winning big, etc. I don't think people should look at history when determining what's a better job in 2020 and beyond.

1. Money - All big time programs are going to be about equal when it comes to this = Wash
2. Tradition - Shockingly similar win % over the last 50 years (.723 for SC and .731 for PSU), SC has a lot more Nattys but if you only go back 40 years, it's 2-1 in favor of SC. Bowl records are almost exactly even, and conference/division titles are heavily in favor of SC. = If you're staying semi recent, this is a wash, IMO, maybe a slight lean to USC
3. Fan/Admin/Booster Support and Expectations = Lower expectations at PSU probably. Fan support definitely goes to PSU = Edge is PSU
4. Location for Personal Reasons = Who knows, but LA is likely more desirable for most people, outside of population and cost of living = Wash
5. Location for Recruiting Reasons = USC is the no brainer, although PSU recruits nationally and that area of the country isn't devoid of talent at all = USC
6. Conference Affiliation = For monetary purposes, PSU by a mile.
7. Divisional opponents = USC by a mile
8. Ease of winning big = USC due to the easier division and recruiting advantages

I think the biggest ones for being considered a better job are 5, 3, 7, 8, 6 - in that order - which adds up to a 3-2 advantage for USC.

giphy.gif

2. Heismans? Rose Bowl victories?

Bottom line, USC is on the Mount Rushmore of college football. PSU ain't.

None of this means anything. It will ultimately come down to whether Franklin wants to make the move. There are reasons to move and there are reasons to stay. Maybe he hates LA. Or, maybe he’s always wanted to coach there. I don’t think any of us know where his mind is on the subject.

Part of me worries that the glee we are showing with the possibility of such a hiring at FSU is similar to the joy expressed when ASU hired Herm.

I know they're different for a wide variety of reasons, but our collective reaction is pretty similar.

I had a fair amount of fun with Herm, but this rumor takes silly season to another level. Deion has zero coaching experience from what I know.

If FSU had any sense, theyd go after Mark Stoops.

2. Heismans? Rose Bowl victories?

Bottom line, USC is on the Mount Rushmore of college football. PSU ain't.
Another way to look at it: pretty much everyone would understand if a very successful coach moved from, say, Miami, FSU, Wisconsin, Washington, Florida, aTm, etc to USC.

"He had a good thing going at ________, but I get why he'd take a shot at USC."

Pretty much everyone would scratch their head and wonder what he was smoking if a similarly situated coach moved to Pedo State.

Even put a specific name on it:

"Kirby Smart to become new HC at USC."

vs.

"Kirby Smart to become new HC at Pedo State."

"I'm not sure that's a good move, but I suppose if that's what he wants" would probably be my reaction to the first.

"What the flying **** is he thinking!?" would be my reaction to the second.

Another way to look at it: pretty much everyone would understand if a very successful coach moved from, say, Miami, FSU, Wisconsin, Washington, Florida, aTm, etc to USC.

Pretty much everyone would scratch their head and wonder what he was smoking if a similarly situated coach moved to Pedo State.

vs.

"I'm not sure that's a good move, but I suppose if that's what he wants" would probably be my reaction to the first.

Kirby Smart moving from UGA to USC would be a serious head scratcher. And yes, I know that wasn’t the point of your post, which I mostly agree with.

Deion coaches youth and some hs kids, I think. I don't know if it's actual coaching or camps, he's some special assistant, or what? Doesn't matter, that's a far cry from being the head coach at FSU. As far as coach Strong, it looks like his time being at Texas broke him or something. Like Duff said, it happened fast, too. It's strange.

vs.

The example you chose feels like you’re building an argument against yourself. I would be more surprised if someone like Jimbo left aTm for USC, than I would if bolted for PSU. Same with a couple others on the list. The bottom line, I see a lot more reasons for Franklin to stay at PSU than I do reasons to leave for USC.

Deion coaches youth and some hs kids, I think. I don't know if it's actual coaching or camps, he's some special assistant, or what? Doesn't matter, that's a far cry from being the head coach at FSU. As far as coach Strong, it looks like his time being at Texas broke him or something. Like Duff said, it happened fast, too. It's strange.
This is right. There are a lot of big name guys that have this roll though, so if FSU is seriously considering this....LOL! Hiring of Deion would be an abject disaster I would love to see....especially if he hires Snoop Dogg as his OC

I had a fair amount of fun with Herm, but this rumor takes silly season to another level. Deion has zero coaching experience from what I know.

If FSU had any sense, theyd go after Mark Stoops.

It wouldn't be a sexy hire but Stoops would be a solid hire for them

Chad Morris will likely be out of a job in a couple weeks. Blown out by Western Kentucky yesterday in Fayetteville and will likely drop to 0-16 in SEC play with LSU and Mizzou left.

EDIT: He was fired this morning:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back