What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2019/20 CFB Coaching Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Boston College:

They wanted Luke Fickell, but he isn't interested in jumping from Cincy yet.

New top target is Jeff Hafley Ohio St Co-DC. Mike Elko from aTm is also in the conversation.

Fresno St:

They have a favorite and then they're all over the place. The favorite is Indiana OC and former Redford OC; Jalen DeBoer.

After that names like MacIntyre, Pat Hill, Mike Martz, Beau Baldwin, Troy Taylor, Tim Skipper, Sparkles, Hawkins and a few others.

Looks like Foster is finally hanging up the ol joxk strap and whistle.

Underwhelmed, but not unexpected. I didn't think Fuente would bring in a big name who might be an immediate threat to his HC position.

I've been waiting and waiting for the post Harbaugh slide. It appears to be FINALLY happening. Shaw did a good job keeping the momentum up for a while.

He would be smart to see what we see and make the jump while he still has options.
One year is not a trend. I hope he finds employment elsewhere. While he is there, Stanford is a handful.

I've been waiting and waiting for the post Harbaugh slide. It appears to be FINALLY happening. Shaw did a good job keeping the momentum up for a while.

He would be smart to see what we see and make the jump while he still has options.
Terrible take, Highlander. Harbaugh hasn’t coached at Stanford in almost 10 years. Shaw is a fantastic coach who is experiencing a blip of a down year.

One year is not a trend. I hope he finds employment elsewhere. While he is there, Stanford is a handful.
Terrible take, Highlander. Harbaugh hasn’t coached at Stanford in almost 10 years. Shaw is a fantastic coach who is experiencing a blip of a down year.
It isn't just one year. Besides last this year, they've finished 3rd in the North 2 of the previous 3 years after being 1st 4 of his first 5 year. They have only been to a New Year's 6 bowl game once in the last six years after getting there in each of his first 3 years.

This year is obviously much different, but they had gone from elite in his first three season to pretty good up until this year. There is a definitive trend.

1575826115890.png

2019 Shaw, 3-6 Conf, 4-8 Overall, 6th (north), No Bowl

Last edited:
Yeah, 8 straight bowls as HC of Stanford for Shaw prior to this year’s aberration. He was OC for the entirety of Harbaugh’s first college run at San Diego and Stanford. You can make a legit argument that Harbaugh has never been the same without Shaw.
It isn't just one year. They've finished 3rd in the North 2 of the past 3 years after being 1st 4 of his first 5 year. They have only been to a New Year's 6 bowl game once in the last five years after getting there in each of his first 3 years.

There is a definitive trend.

View attachment 32967

I can see where one could see that as a trend, but seems like Stanford was very unlucky injury wise in the last few years. I’d like to see a year or two years to call it a trend in my opinion.

Last edited:
It isn't just one year. They've finished 3rd in the North 2 of the past 3 years after being 1st 4 of his first 5 year. They have only been to a New Year's 6 bowl game once in the last five years after getting there in each of his first 3 years.

There is a definitive trend.

View attachment 32967
This is an extremely impressive run by historical Stanford standards. The regression you are talking about has more to do with Oregon, WSU, Cal, and the Malamutes all improving during that same time period.

Yeah, 8 straight bowls as HC of Stanford for Shaw prior to this year’s aberration. He was OC for the entirety of Harbaugh’s first college run at San Diego and Stanford. You can make a legit argument that Harbaugh has never been the same without Shaw.

I can see where one could see that as a trend, but seems like Stanford was very unlucky injury wise in the last few years. I’d like to see a year or two years to call it a trend in my opinion.
This is an extremely impressive run by historical Stanford standards. The regression you are talking about has more to do with Oregon, WSU, Cal, and the Malamutes all improving during that same time period.
I am super interested in seeing how they do the next 2-3 years myself. I see the last few years as the start of regressing to the mean for Stanford. Shaw has been damn impressive for his first 8 years, though. Without question.

Now you see why Bobo took the $1.85 million buyout with no strings attached. Otherwise, CSU would’ve waited until January, fired him with $3 million buyout plus offset. I imagine he’ll get $750,000 or more as OC with the Cocks, so he may have gotten less, net, with the offset. It worked out for everyone.

Fresno St:

They have a favorite and then they're all over the place. The favorite is Indiana OC and former Redford OC; Jalen DeBoer.

After that names like MacIntyre, Pat Hill, Mike Martz, Beau Baldwin, Troy Taylor, Tim Skipper, Sparkles, Hawkins and a few others.

Pat Hill wtf? Didn't they fire him?

You're right. That's the one. UNM would struggle to do better than Mike. And even coming in late in the recruiting season, he could load up with as many JUCOs as would sign, and probably start off better than the Lobos finished last year. But that job program been Purgatory lately.
The UNM athletic program has managed to develop a problem with the reputation of the program https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/sd-sp-newmexico-20170603-story.html and the football program has contributed including the Bob Davie issues, These followed embarrassing incidents with former coach Mile Locksley and other incidents up to this years public relations disaster with QB Sheriron Jones.

As a result of all this along with the consistent losing overall support for the program has not been strong in terms of fan support or support from many in the university and those who influence the athletic budgets.

MM has his failings including a failure to put enough emphasis on recruiting and an excess of loyalty to certain members of his staff but he is known as a guy who runs a clean program, cares for his athletes and emphasizes academics, maintains discipline in terms of his teams off field conduct. The closest thing he had to a scandal at CU had more to do with timing of his response than failure to respond.

In many ways he might be exactly what they need. He also established a lot of recruiting connections while at CU in the areas the UNM relies on. If he can get a better recruiting staff he could do very well there and they would love him.

Big Sunday Carousel Update:

New stuff noted with an UPDATE tag. Lots to cover, updates are now more of a conglomeration so you don't have to scroll through to catch up.

Filled Jobs:

Rutgers-
Chris Ash out (h/t dwyermj), Nunzio Campanile was interim. Schiano back for Round 2 (h/t Jalapeno).

Washington-
On and off the Carousel in what may be world record time, Peterson out, Lake in. (h/t MKBuffs) Shout out to onealcd for his swami-like predictive powers on this one.

Florida State- Willie Taggert out after less than two years. (h/t vinniew_11). Mike Norvell in. (h/t CarolinaBuff) Leavitt gone (h/t Trufflesauce)

Ole Miss- Matt Luke is out (h/t jeric). The Lane train rolls into Oxford, Lane Kiffin in, stiffing Arky. (h/t DeNiro, ahoelsken, Hawg) MikMac stays as DC. (h/t BinaryBuff) Love, S and C from FAU follows.

Open Jobs:

Arkansas- Chad Morris is out. Could not win even one SEC game. (h/t Duff). UPDATE: There is always one that turns into a circus, this year it is Arky. Kiffin leaves Arky at the altar, Arky struck out on Campbell, Norvell, Kiffin, Leach and is now considering the UGA OL coach Sam Pittman. (h/t DeNiro) Bust-o-rama.

UNLV- Sanchez does not survive. (h/t Jens). No winning seasons in five. Of note, Ced Cormier is WR coach on UNLV's staff, I hope he lands on his feet. UNLV could be a decent gig, now that they share the Raiders under construction stadium in Sin City. I was in LV last month, that stadium is pretty sweet. Food Cart and RichRod (h/t ahoelsken), (h/t BuffBronco) who adds a list of Rob Likens, Danny Gonzales, DII Danny Hawkins, Graham Harrell, MikMac, Jeff Choate, Rob Stitt and Troy Taylor. In other words, could be anybody. UPDATE: Harrell interviews (h/t DeNiro), Arroyo Oregon DC in play (h/t NWBuff)

University of Almost Mexico- Bob Davie out. (h/t Black Dynamite) UPDATE: Danny Gonzales ASU DC and Arnett SDSU DC in play (h/t DeNiro)

USF- Charlie Strong is out. How the mighty have fallen. Taggart wants the gig (h/t DeNiro) UPDATE: Steve Spurrier Jr. (h/t DeNiro)

Mizzou- Barry Odom out. (h/t Duff) Haskins, Monken and Healy, are early names (h/t Bombay) other names: Troy Calhoun, Skip Holtz, Willie Fritz and Jim McElwain. UPDATE: Blake Anderson (h/t Bombay) Harsin (h/t DeNiro)

UTSA- Frank Wilson out. (h/t DeNiro) Chad Morris withdraws name.

Boston College- Steve Addizzio out. (h/t DeNiro) UPDATE: Luke Fickell says no (h/t DeNiro) Jeff HEfley tOSU DC and Mike Elko aTm DC names.

Old Dominion- Bobby Wilder resigns (h/t DeNiro) Normally, ODU would not make the cut for the update, but damn, DeNiro putting in the work. You have to respect that.

Colorado St.- Bobo out (h/t 85Alum) Tony Alford (h/t BMP), Butch Jones, Todd Graham Jim Leavitt, Jim Mora early names (h/t nik)

Fresno St.- Tedford steps down for health reasons, MikMac, Pat Hill, Mike Martz, Beau Baldwin, Troy Taylor, Sparkles and DII Danny early names (h/t DeNiro)

Secondary Market-

FAU-
Kiffin out,

Memphis- Norvell out

Possibles:

Clay Helton- Swann out, Mike Bohn in as AD. Articles in the mainstream reporting Bohn leaning towards keeping Helton. The path of least resistance is an irresistable shiny object for Mikey. Reports he is out (h/t Serenity), other reports he isn't, classic Bohn cluster. Pres. Folt, and I can hear her now, "the days of the old boys club are over", is sort of like a mildly competent Bitsy, out to reform SC. I applaud her. Reform them to .500, I say. UPDATE; Near riot conditions as Bohn announces retention of Helton (h/t Serenity). SC trying to fend off Tejas for Graham Harrell. (h/t DeNiro)

fUCLA- Could Kelly be on thin ice? Maybe. (h/t Duff) $9MM to buy Kelly out, he owes $9MM if he leaves. Sounds like a deal could be made for both parties to save face.

UTEP- I mean who cares, but (h/t DeNiro) points out Dimel has not had success, so UT-Juarez may be coach shopping.

Tulsa- Philip Montgomery may be cut. (h/t DeNiro) UPDATE: Montgomery safe (h/t DeNiro)

Okie Lite- The yearly, will he or won't he leave drama of Gundy's Mullet begins anew (h/t DeNiro).

NMSU- Marin safe (h/t De Niro).

Other News:

Show me the Money- Cali leads the way to player pay, starting 2023. Hapless NCAA and Conferences clutch pearls.

Sheriron Jones- The well-traveled QB gets caught in a solo routine. CU dodged a bullet. (h/t sewallbeach)

Arizona- Gets defensive about its DC and fires him, and one defensive AC. (h/t Jens). Chuck Cecil now DC (h/t ahoelsken). Fired their DL coach, Sumlin dropping defensive AC's on a near weekly basis. (h/t DeNiro). UPDATE: Sumlin back for year three (h/t Jens)

ASU- Herm guns down his OC and pretty much the whole O staff. (h/t DeNiro) Hue Jackson as OC? (h/t MKBuffs) Maybe Lindgren as OC (h/t onealcd)

Wazzu- Tracy Claeys "resigns". (h/t Tractor) UPDATE: Leach extended (h/t DeNiro)

USC- hires Mike Bohn as AD (h/t ZKobalt), 11 other P12 programs chuckling uncontrollably.

Minnesota- PJ Fleck extended for 7 years, kNU in mourning.

Indiana- Tom Allen negotiating a raise, and presumably, an extension. kNU mourns more.

kNU- Frost extended by two years, then promptly loses, again, to Wiscy. (h/t blackdynamite), I think he had it first. kNU extends no bowl streak with loss to Iowa.

BYU- Kilani 'the Mushroom" Sitaki extended.

Willie Taggart- As noted in the FSU update, not so slick Willie never signed a formal agreement with FSU and the buyout provisions are up in the air. Willie needs to lawyer up and go after his agent and former attorney. This one cost him a bundle.

No. Colorado- Earnest Hollings gets the axe. (h/t ahoelsken)

UNLV-UN-R: Game erupts into a full blown brawl.

Norhtwestern- McCall the OC/QB canned. (h/t DeNiro) UPDATE: Mike Bajakian new OC (h/t DeNiro)

Texas St.- Bob Stitt out (h/t DeNiro)

ISU/Matt Campbell- Extension signed through 2025 (h/t TSchek)

Tejas- Making play for SC OC Harrell, 2.2 MM offered (h/t Duff)

Oregon St.- Bigger AC pool (h/t DeNiro)

Liberty- Hugh Freeze gets raise (h/t DeNiro)

Mike Bobo- Lands gig as So. Carolina OC (h/t BCS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back