What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2019/20 CFB Coaching Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pittman is a good choice. Great OL coach, superb recruiter, can run a P5 program, knows conference, will bring physical approach, a player’s coach who connects with kids and badly wanted job. Will work his butt off.

Can he assemble a staff?

Nice spin.

giphy.gif

How do we know?

We don't. This was a much better situation LY than Arky is at the moment-that's arguably the worst program in the P5 as of the writing of this post. Pittman's a great OL coach and an excellent recruiter, but Arkansas needs to be extremely patient with him-I think that's a project. I'm kind of shocked Ole Miss didn't consider promoting RR to be honest-especially given they hired a guy who has more of a track record of immaturity and making news off the field for dumb **** than RR does.

Last edited:
Not a terrible hire, but this is a weird take from you, given your posts on Kiffin. No one in Auburn, Baton Rouge, or Tuscaloosa is worried about this hire.
He will win some recruiting battles against them up front. Tons of support from former players. Kids will connect and play hard. It will look and feel like Mel’s approach with a better staff.

Kiff will do well. I like him a lot. The fit at Ark would not be as good as Pittman. A burner phone is a good idea. Staff is key.

We don't. This was a much better situation LY than Arky is at the moment-that's arguably the worst program in the P5 as of the writing of this post. Pittman's a great OL coach and an excellent recruiter, but Arkansas needs to be extremely patient with him-I think that's a project. I'm kind of shocked Ole Miss didn't consider promoting RR to be honest.

Fair. Folks like Pittman. He has some cache in Ark. It will be a grind to turn it around. Evidently, he really wanted job from early on and has a plan for it. I’ll be interested to see term of his contract.

I think Lane wants Briles, who will have options. Or Chad Morris if Tom Herman doesn’t scoop him up first. I hear he’s likely gonna keep MM.

Fair.

I think Lane wants Briles, who will have options. Or Chad Morris if Tom Herman doesn’t scoop him up first. I hear he’s likely gonna keep MM.

Read the same thing about Briles-and the FHCMM news came out yesterday or Friday night didn't it? I'd have promoted RR had I been them-he's just as good a coach as Kiffin and they're running his offense already. Kiffin's a goofball, and I'm not touching Kendal Briles with a 40 foot pole after all the stuff at Baylor.

Is Harrell to Texas dead? I haven't seen anything about that this weekend, but I was at a wedding all day yesterday.

If I'm New Mexico, I'm going after Rich Rod. The more I think about it, the more I think that's a marriage that makes sense for both sides. They need to do something that can their fan base excited, and they've got a QB who can probably run that offense in Jones if they can get his head screwed on right.

Auburn bias. We get it. You don’t like Kiff. And know little about Pittman and the fit. That’s OK. Time will tell. Staff are key.

I know plenty about Pittman and the fit. I am not saying it is a bad hire, but giving it a grade in the B range is overly generous.

Read the same thing about Briles-and the FHCMM news came out yesterday or Friday night didn't it? I'd have promoted RR had I been them-he's just as good a coach as Kiffin and they're running his offense already. Kiffin's a goofball, and I'm not touching Kendal Briles with a 40 foot pole after all the stuff at Baylor.

Is Harrell to Texas dead? I haven't seen anything about that this weekend, but I was at a wedding all day yesterday.

If I'm New Mexico, I'm going after Rich Rod. The more I think about it, the more I think that's a marriage that makes sense for both sides. They need to do something that can their fan base excited, and they've got a QB who can probably run that offense in Jones if they can get his head screwed on right.
Figuring out what to do with Plumlee will be key. There is merit to the idea of RichRod and Plumlee.

Heard nothing recently on Harrell. I think he likes his weapons at USC. Probably thinks his next move is a HC. Willing to wait. Just surmising.

Grades, so far.

My $0.02.

FSU: A+
Ole Miss: B
Ark: B
Mizzou: C

Agree on FSU. I like Mike Norvell a lot. He's a guy I was interested in last year when we went through this. I'm starting to buy Sam Pittman, but I'm not as in love with that hire as you are because I'm curious to see what kind of staff he puts together. C for now, but that grade can go up based on the ACs he brings in. I also think Arkansas knows that's a project after the Chad Morris fiasco and will be patient with him. Ole Miss gets a D. I think Kiffin is a clown, and I also don't think its that hard to win at the four G5's in Florida. I'd go D for Mizzou too. They looked like they were heading toward hiring Blake Anderson, and then decide he's not a sexy enough hire for a middling SEC team. They wind up hiring Drinkwitz-who hasn't done much other than show he can win with somebody else's players. Oops!

Figuring out what to do with Plumlee will be key. There is merit to the idea of RichRod and Plumlee.

Heard nothing recently on Harrell. I think he likes his weapons at USC. Probably thinks his next move is a HC. Willing to wait. Just surmising.

I think Texas is one more clunker of a season away from being in the same spot USC is. If I'm him, I'm going after the UNLV gig or staying at USC.

Agree on FSU. I like Mike Norvell a lot. He's a guy I was interested in last year when we went through this. I'm starting to buy Sam Pittman, but I'm not as in love with that hire as you are because I'm curious to see what kind of staff he puts together. C for now, but that grade can go up based on the ACs he brings in. I also think Arkansas knows that's a project after the Chad Morris fiasco and will be patient with him. Ole Miss gets a D. I think Kiffin is a clown, and I also don't think its that hard to win at the four G5's in Florida. I'd go D for Mizzou too. They looked like they were heading toward hiring Blake Anderson, and then decide he's not a sexy enough hire for a middling SEC team. They wind up hiring Drinkwitz-who hasn't done much other than show he can win with somebody else's players. Oops!
Some good G5 openings. Do they promote from within? Hire established OCs? Dip down into lower levels for rising stars?

Some good G5 openings. Do they promote from within? Hire established OCs? Dip down into lower levels for rising stars?

Anybody worth a **** can win at South Florida or FAU. UNLV will do well, and I agree with the New Mexico fans-they need Rich Rodriguez. Footballscoop says Clemson co-OC Jeff Scott is the leader at South Florida right now.

Last edited:
They seem to think Beau Baldwin. But it's all speculation
I know he was really successful at EWU, but Cal’s offense has been dogs**t since he’s been there - like worst in the conference every year bad. What am I missing here?

This move would make me more nervous that Cal gets their act together on offense and becomes a real threat in the PAC 12 than CSU improving substantially.

Last edited:
I don't think the last couple years at Cal really helped him.

I don’t disagree, but he seems like he’s a better fit than a career position coach (Alford) or some of the other retreads mentioned. He knows the recruiting landscape and can hopefully build on the offensive skill players that Bobo left him (Warren Jackson and Dante Wright are solid, assuming neither declare or transfer).

This is a terrible year for CSU to be looking for a head coach, given how many openings are out there.

I consider Tony a friend. Having him at CSU scares me a bit. The coaching ties he brings into camps are impressive. Can those relationships result in pulling people into the risk that CSU represents? He is personable, driven and organized. He’s a great guy to share a beer with. Digging that program out of the talent deficit they have is formidable, but I am nervous.

I know he was really successful at EWU, but Cal’s offense has been dogs**t since he’s been there - like worst in the conference every year bad. What am I missing here?

This move would make me more nervous that Cal gets their act together on offense and becomes a real threat in the PAC 12 than CSU improving substantially.

This. I think theres a huge talent gap between us and CSU right now. Look at this years game as an example-we played like garbage for a half because our guys defensively were still figuring it out and we still beat them by 21.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back