What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2019/20 CFB Coaching Carousel

Status
Not open for further replies.
The UNM athletic program has managed to develop a problem with the reputation of the program https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/sd-sp-newmexico-20170603-story.html and the football program has contributed including the Bob Davie issues, These followed embarrassing incidents with former coach Mile Locksley and other incidents up to this years public relations disaster with QB Sheriron Jones.

As a result of all this along with the consistent losing overall support for the program has not been strong in terms of fan support or support from many in the university and those who influence the athletic budgets.

MM has his failings including a failure to put enough emphasis on recruiting and an excess of loyalty to certain members of his staff but he is known as a guy who runs a clean program, cares for his athletes and emphasizes academics, maintains discipline in terms of his teams off field conduct. The closest thing he had to a scandal at CU had more to do with timing of his response than failure to respond.

In many ways he might be exactly what they need. He also established a lot of recruiting connections while at CU in the areas the UNM relies on. If he can get a better recruiting staff he could do very well there and they would love him.
Won't happen, they can't pay $1.5 million. Try and keep up.

Sam Pittman at Arky. A guy who hasn't been a HC since his days at Hutchinson CC...27 years ago. Talk about swinging and missing. This one looks awfully bad.

UNLV has the best board out west right. Either USC OC Graham Harrell or Oregon DC (former Boise DC) Arroyo would be solid hires.

The UNM athletic program has managed to develop a problem with the reputation of the program https://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/aztecs/sd-sp-newmexico-20170603-story.html and the football program has contributed including the Bob Davie issues, These followed embarrassing incidents with former coach Mile Locksley and other incidents up to this years public relations disaster with QB Sheriron Jones.

As a result of all this along with the consistent losing overall support for the program has not been strong in terms of fan support or support from many in the university and those who influence the athletic budgets.

MM has his failings including a failure to put enough emphasis on recruiting and an excess of loyalty to certain members of his staff but he is known as a guy who runs a clean program, cares for his athletes and emphasizes academics, maintains discipline in terms of his teams off field conduct. The closest thing he had to a scandal at CU had more to do with timing of his response than failure to respond.

In many ways he might be exactly what they need. He also established a lot of recruiting connections while at CU in the areas the UNM relies on. If he can get a better recruiting staff he could do very well there and they would love him.

Yeah, UNM has sucked since Rocky Long left. Mike would find that recruiting into ABQ is harder than into San Jose. He'd have to live with a combination of transfers, JUCOs and 2 star kids from TX and AZ. N Mex is a talent desert; the Urlachers are few and far between. I was in SE N Mex a few months ago and the Roswell paper had a story about the dwindling interest by kids in HS football in some parts of the state, while soccer is growing. UNM is definitely a job for a guy who really likes a challenge. Even a high energy guy like Rocky eventually threw in the towel....

Yeah, UNM has sucked since Rocky Long left. Mike would find that recruiting into ABQ is harder than into San Jose. He'd have to live with a combination of transfers, JUCOs and 2 star kids from TX and AZ. N Mex is a talent desert; the Urlachers are few and far between. I was in SE N Mex a few months ago and the Roswell paper had a story about the dwindling interest by kids in HS football in some parts of the state, while soccer is growing. UNM is definitely a job for a guy who really likes a challenge. Even a high energy guy like Rocky eventually threw in the towel....
Spot on. No money, no following. UNM is now where old coaches go to die.

I think they have more potential than you give them credit for. They can get kids out of Texas and Arizona. They should also be able to recruit Oklahoma where the top kids go to OU and OSU but the next level is only Tulsa which a mess.

Their big problem is that they don't have much success to sell. They need somebody who can bring some optimism and can keep them positive while they build a program from scratch.

I think they have more potential than you give them credit for. They can get kids out of Texas and Arizona. They should also be able to recruit Oklahoma where the top kids go to OU and OSU but the next level is only Tulsa which a mess.

Their big problem is that they don't have much success to sell. They need somebody who can bring some optimism and can keep them positive while they build a program from scratch.
That's a glass half full outlook on their program. I agree with Creebuzz - the program's more likely to fold than to have success.

My prediction: New Mexico and San Jose State will both drop FBS football within six years.
SJSU has been on the verge of that decision in the past, don't think it would be a stretch.

New Mexico will stay in FBS until something significant changes. There are enough people in positions of influence who want and expect the state to have a program at the FBS level that it won't get dropped. NMSU is much more likely to drop and should but the politics will prevent that as well.

There are a lot of things wrong in New Mexico but to do anything there you have to understand that New Mexico politics is something unique.

SJSU has been on the verge of that decision in the past, don't think it would be a stretch.

New Mexico will stay in FBS until something significant changes. There are enough people in positions of influence who want and expect the state to have a program at the FBS level that it won't get dropped. NMSU is much more likely to drop and should but the politics will prevent that as well.

There are a lot of things wrong in New Mexico but to do anything there you have to understand that New Mexico politics is something unique.

Can’t say I know a ton about UNM, but they’re budget woes are out there and they’ve cut a lot of sports lately (skiing, soccer, volleyball). With the TV payout so low, I honestly don’t know how most of the Mountain West schools function.

Can’t say I know a ton about UNM, but they’re budget woes are out there and they’ve cut a lot of sports lately (skiing, soccer, volleyball). With the TV payout so low, I honestly don’t know how most of the Mountain West schools function.
Doesn't make sense for a lot of schools to stay in FBS football but those schools want to sell the idea that they are "big time" and having a football team they can claim is playing at the top level is part of that.

Problem is that they really aren't. The G5 schools are almost all subsidizing their programs at a minimum of $10 million a school, CSU is over $25 million.

Even with the subsidy they can't compete or even close. Texas A&M has a three year average revenue ending in 2018 of $143 million per year. That probably matches the revenue of some entire lower G5 conferences.

I think at some point in the future we are going to see the top 60-80 schools form a true top division with athletes getting paid in some manner past the current system.

The next level with include many of the current G5 schools plus some of the top FCS schools. They will have some limitations on scholarships and other spending to control budgets.

A few of the G5 schools plus the majority of FCS will become the next level down with further budget controls.

If Arky swung and miss on Drinkwitz, damn, they’re lower than I thought. If they didn’t, dumb.

If Arky swung and miss on Drinkwitz, damn, they’re lower than I thought. If they didn’t, dumb.
Pittman is a good choice. Great OL coach, superb recruiter, can run a P5 program, knows conference, will bring physical approach, a player’s coach who connects with kids and badly wanted job. Will work his butt off.

Can he assemble a staff?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back