What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2023-24 MBB Season Thread

Simply not true. St. Mary's has been consistently Top 25 level and other programs have flashed. WCC isn't the Big East and the bottom half of the league isn't on the same level as even the A-10, but it is not a 1 team league.
My bad. A two team conference.

Direct link to article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/8/21/...-announce-2023-24-nonconference-schedule.aspx

"
BOULDER – The University of Colorado's 2023-24 men's basketball nonconference schedule features seven home dates and games against five teams that won 20 or more games a year ago, Buffaloes' head coach Tad Boyle announced on Monday.

Colorado will start the season with three home games, tipping off against Towson on Monday, Nov. 6, at the CU Events Center. Towson won 21 games last year, finishing third in the Colonial Athletic Association.

The Buffaloes will then host a pair of 2022-23 league runner ups. Colorado will face Grambling State in the return of the Pac-12/Southwest Athletic Conference Legacy Series on Friday, Nov. 10. The Buffaloes will then host Milwaukee, a 22-game winner in the Horizon League last year, on Tuesday, Nov. 14.

Colorado's game with Milwaukee is part of the Sunshine Slam Multi Team Event (MTE) which was announced on Aug. 16. The Buffaloes travel to Daytona Beach, Fla., to play Richmond on Monday, Nov. 20 (6 p.m., CBS Sports Network) and either Florida State or UNLV on Tuesday, Nov. 21.

Colorado returns to the CU Events Center for a date with Iona on Sunday, Nov. 26. The Gaels are the defending Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference regular season and tournament champions, finishing the 2022-23 season at 27-8. Iona lost to eventual national champion UConn in the first round of the NCAA Tournament.

The Buffaloes will then take the hour-trip north for the hardwood edition of the Rocky Mountain Showdown. Colorado will battle Colorado State in Fort Collins on Wednesday, Nov. 29, with a probable start time of 7 p.m. (subject to change with television selections).

Colorado finishes the nonconference slate with three of four at the CU Events Center. The Buffaloes will host Pepperdine on Sunday, Dec. 3, and will then have a week to gear up for the previously announced NABC Brooklyn Showcase against 2023 NCAA Final Four participant Miami (Fla.) on Sunday, Dec. 10, at the Barclays Center in Brooklyn, N.Y.

Colorado returns home to wrap up nonconference play by hosting Northern Colorado on Friday, Dec. 15 and Utah Tech on Thursday, Dec. 21.

The Pac-12 Conference schedule is still in the works and will be announced at a later date. Unlike the last two seasons, there are no early games in late November-early December in the middle of nonconference action. The full 20-game schedule will begin the week of Dec. 28-31.

Colorado men's basketball season tickets are on sale now and can be purchased online at CUBuffs.com/tickets or by calling 303-49BUFFS.

2023-24 Colorado Men's Basketball Nonconference Schedule

DATEOPPONENTLOCATIONTIME (MT)TV
Monday, Nov. 6TOWSONBOULDERTBATBA
Friday, Nov. 10GRAMBLING STATEBOULDERTBATBA
Tuesday, Nov. 14^MILWAUKEEBOULDERTBATBA
Monday, Nov. 20^vs. RichmondDaytona Beach, Fla.6 p.m.CBSSN
Tuesday, Nov. 21^vs. Florida State/UNLVDaytona Beach, Fla.2/4:30 p.m.TBA
Sunday, Nov. 26IONABOULDERTBATBA
Wednesday, Nov. 29at Colorado StateFort Collins, Colo.7 p.m.TBA
Sunday, Dec. 3PEPPERDINEBOULDERTBATBA
Sunday, Dec. 10#vs. Miami (Fla.)Brooklyn, N.Y.12 p.m.TBA
Friday, Dec. 15NORTHERN COLORADOBOULDERTBATBA
Thursday, Dec. 21UTAH TECHBOULDERTBATBA
Dec. 28-31*Pac-12 Conference Season BeginsTBATBATBA
"

A lot of no names on the schedule. Who is Utah Tech? Never heard of them.
Formerly known as Dixie State. Few big names want to come to Boulder in a one for one deal, and it makes absolutely no sense for Tad to give away 2 road games for one home game. Makes scheduling difficult. Probably made even more difficult by the pending Big XXII move where offering a home and home deal is not possible because of conference scheduling next year. Absolutely no big name is going to come to Boulder on a one off with no return home game.

The home slate does stink though. Iona is a good program. Aside from that, eek.

Formerly known as Dixie State. Few big names want to come to Boulder in a one for one deal, and it makes absolutely no sense for Tad to give away 2 road games for one home game. Makes scheduling difficult. Probably made even more difficult by the pending Big XXII move where offering a home and home deal is not possible because of conference scheduling next year. Absolutely no big name is going to come to Boulder on a one off with no return home game.

Gotta get their RPI boost at the tournaments, I guess.

Yeah, I know the program *actively* seeks out Q2 teams that would want to visit. They routinely get *zero* takers. It's a huge challenge for the program.

They'd better go undefeated in non-con outside of potentially the tournaments. Any of those home losses would be disasters. Woof.

Article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/9/5/m...o-blue-ribbon-preseason-all-america-team.aspx

"
BOULDER – University of Colorado senior forward Tristan da Silva has been named to the 2023-24 Blue Ribbon Yearbook Preseason All-America Team.

Da Silva, a 6-foot, 9-inch, 229-pound native of Munich, Germany, is one of five student-athletes selected to the annual yearbook's fourth team. Joining da Silva on the fourth team are Dayton's DaRon Holmes II, Illinois' Terrence Shannon Jr., Tennessee's Santiago Vescovi and USC's Isaiah Collier.

Da Silva was a 2022-23 All-Pac-12 Conference First Team selection as a junior, leading Colorado at 15.9 points per game on just under 50 percent shooting. He led the Buffaloes with 54 3-point field goals and 44 steals while ranking second on the team in rebounding with 168.

On the Pac-12 leaderboard, da Silva ranked sixth in scoring and 3-point percentage (.394), ninth in steals, 10th in overall shooting (.496) an 13th in free throw accuracy (.755).

The reigning Chauncey Billups Team MVP, da Silva enters his senior season at Colorado's active leader in scoring with 912 points, ranking 45th on CU's all-time list. His career 37.9 percentage from 3-point range ranks 10th all-time for the Buffaloes.

Overall, 20 NCAA Division I players were named to one of four five-member teams by Blue Ribbon Yearbook.

2023-24 Blue Ribbon Year Book Preseason All-Americans:

First Team:
Hunter Dickinson (Kansas), Zach Edey (Purdue), Kyle Filipowski (Duke), Tyler Kolek (Marquette), Justin Moore (Villanova).

Second Team: Tolu Smith (Mississippi State), Armando Bacot (North Carolina), Ryan Kalkbrenner (Creighton), Kevin McCullar Jr. (Kansas), Wade Taylor IV (Texas A&M)

Third Team: Johni Broome (Auburn), Oumar Ballo (Arizona), Tristen Newton (UConn), Boo Buie (Northwestern), Jahmir Young (Maryland)

Fourth Team: Tristan da Silva (Colorado), DaRon Holmes (Dayton), Terrence Shannon Jr. (Illinois), Santiago Vescovi (Tennessee), Isaiah Collier (USC).
"

It’s the new name for the school in St George that used to be called Dixie State….
School in St George with a stupid amount of money for where they're at in regards to competition. Some ridiculously nice on campus facilities.

I only know this because I lived there for three years.

School in St George with a stupid amount of money for where they're at in regards to competition. Some ridiculously nice on campus facilities.

I have friend who is a professor there.

St. George was our fallback idea a couple of years ago if we couldn’t find a place we liked in Tucson. We’ve got close relatives in Las Vegas and Phoenix so it seemed to make sense.

St. George was our fallback idea a couple of years ago if we couldn’t find a place we liked in Tucson. We’ve got close relatives in Las Vegas and Phoenix so it seemed to make sense.
It's getting expensive as hell to live there with all the retirees coming there and buying up property.

Congrats to them!

Direct link to article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/9/7/mens-basketball-cartun-ruebesam-promoted-to-assistant-coaches.aspx

"
BOULDER – University of Colorado men's basketball staff members Bill Cartun and Zach Ruebesam have been promoted to assistant coaches, Buffaloes' head coach Tad Boyle announced Thursday.

In January, the NCAA Division I Council voted forward a proposal to increase the number of allowable coaches in men's and women's basketball from three to five which was subsequently approved by the Division I Board of Directors. The updated rule allows for two more coaches to engage in coaching activities and provide skill instruction on the court. The additions are still not allowed to recruit off campus as that number remains at four with the head coach and three assistants.

The rule officially went into effect on July 1 for the 2023-24 academic year.

"It's a win-win all the way around," Boyle said. "We've had guys like Bill and Zach, and those before them like Sean Kearney and Tom Abatemarco that have had important responsibilities in our program but could not coach on the floor. And for young coaches, it's really difficult to get experience, so this rule is going to allow a lot of young coaches to gain experience coaching on the floor."

Coach Cartun and coach Ruebesam will maintain the bulk of their current duties with the program, but the change allows them to be active with the players in a coaching role.

"It never ceases to amaze me how long it takes for the NCAA to recognize situations like this and how long it takes them to react and do the right thing," Boyle said. "This is an easy rule change; doesn't cost any more money. Their titles change and their responsibilities might change a little bit but it makes our players better, and it helps our coaches and their professional development."

Cartun is an original member of Boyle's staff, joining the program in 2010 as the coordinator of operations and the last 11 seasons as the director of operations. He continues overseeing the day-to-day operations of the basketball program along with coordinating all aspects of the team's film and video needs including scouting and game film.

"Bill is a little bit of an anomaly in our business, where he really enjoys his role and being part of Colorado basketball and not looking for 'greener pastures'," Boyle said. "His wife (Ashley) is a professor here at CU and they're raising their kids here in Colorado so it's nice to have him recognized and have additional responsibilities on his plate."

Ruebesam enters his third season on the Colorado staff, serving as director of player development the past two seasons. A Colorado native and CU Boulder graduate, Ruebesam was a student manager for the Buffaloes from 2012-16. He served as head coach of Team Colorado, CU's alumni entrant in the 2023 edition of The Basketball Tournament this summer.

"Zach's a young coach who does want to be a head coach and move up in this business," Boyle said. "This gives him the opportunity to add coaching to his resume, and he's going to be a great coach. He knows the game. He was a manager for us; knows our system.

"To have both of these guys on the floor is just going to do nothing but benefit our program and our players."
"

F5jN1dYXUAARxI6

no serenade, no fire brigade, just pyromania

Bumped into the guys on the hill. Cody is huge. My wife told KJ to cut down on the turnovers. 😆Ruffin was there too. She told him he played better with the mask and he said he still had it in his locker.
IMG_0336.jpeg

(Looks like UCLA (on the road) and Stanford (at home) are the 2 conference opponents the Buffs only play once this season.)

Direct link to article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/9/14/...nnounces-mens-basketball-weekly-pairings.aspx

"
BOULDER – The Pac-12 Conference has released the weekly matchups and site designations for the league's 2023-24 men's basketball season.

The announcement reflects the games being played and the home/away designations each week of the Pac-12 regular season. Specific dates and times for each game within a week will be announced in the coming weeks after selections by the league's television partners are finalized. All 120 Conference games will be televised by either the ESPN Family of Networks, FOX/FS1, CBS or the Pac-12 Networks.

With an additional week in the 2023-24 college basketball calendar, all Pac-12 league contests will be played over the course of 11 weeks after the Christmas holiday. This marks the fourth season of the conference's 20-game schedule. The previous three seasons featured a pair of games in the middle of nonconference schedules in late November/early December.

Colorado will open the Pac-12 portion of its schedule hosting Washington and Washington State the week of Dec. 28-31 at the CU Events Center. The Buffaloes' first road trip comes that next week, Jan. 3-7, at Arizona and Arizona State.

During week three, Jan. 10-14, Colorado will host USC and travel to California. With the 20-game conference schedule, the Buffaloes play home-and-home with nine opponents and single games with two. For the 2023-24 season, Colorado will have a single home date with Stanford, along with the second game with California, the week of Feb. 28-Mar. 3. The Buffaloes will face UCLA only on the Los Angeles swing Feb. 14-18.

Colorado will host Oregon and Oregon State the week of Jan. 17-21. After a three-game road swing to the Washington schools (Jan. 24-28) and Utah (Jan. 31-Feb. 4), the Buffaloes host Arizona and Arizona State (Feb. 7-11).

Following the Los Angeles trip, Colorado will have three-straight at home with Utah (Feb. 21-25) and California-Stanford before finishing off the regular season with a final Pac-12 trip to Oregon and Oregon State (Mar. 6-10).
The 2023 Pac-12 Men's Basketball Tournament will once again be at T-Mobile Arena in Las Vegas, March 13-16.

Colorado men's basketball season tickets are on sale now and can be purchased online at CUBuffs.com/tickets or by calling 303-49BUFFS.

Pac-12 Men's Basketball 2023-24 Weekly Conference Matchups
Week of Dec. 27-31 (Week 1)

Washington/Washington State at Colorado/Utah
Arizona/Arizona State at California/Stanford
UCLA/USC at Oregon/Oregon State

Week of Jan. 3-7 (Week 2)
Colorado
/Utah at Arizona/Arizona State
California/Stanford at UCLA/USC
Oregon/Oregon State at Washington/Washington State

Week of Jan. 10-14 (Week 3)
California vs. Colorado/at Oregon
Colorado at California/vs. USC
Arizona at Washington State
Arizona State at Washington
Oregon vs. California
Oregon State vs. Stanford
Stanford at Oregon State/vs. Utah
UCLA at Utah/vs. Washington
USC at Colorado/vs. Washington State
Utah at Stanford/vs. UCLA
Washington vs. Arizona State/at UCLA
Washington State vs. Arizona/at USC

Week of Jan. 17-21 (Week 4)
Oregon/Oregon State at Colorado/Utah
UCLA/USC at Arizona/Arizona State
Washington/Washington State at California/Stanford

Week of Jan. 24-28 (Week 5)
Colorado
/Utah at Washington/Washington State
Arizona/Arizona State at Oregon/Oregon State
Stanford at California
UCLA at USC

Week of Jan. 31-Feb. 4 (Week 6)
Colorado
at Utah
California/Stanford at Arizona/Arizona State
Oregon/Oregon State at UCLA/USC
Washington at Washington State

Week of Feb. 7-11 (Week 7)
Arizona/Arizona State at Colorado/Utah
UCLA/USC at California/Stanford
Washington/Washington State at Oregon/Oregon State

Week of Feb. 14-18 (Week 8)
Colorado
/Utah at UCLA/USC
Arizona vs. Arizona State
Arizona State at Arizona/vs. Oregon State
California/Stanford at Washington/Washington State
Oregon at Oregon State
Oregon State at Arizona State/vs. Oregon

Week of Feb. 21-25 (Week 9)
Utah at Colorado
Oregon/Oregon State at California/Stanford
USC at UCLA
Washington/Washington State at Arizona/Arizona State

Week of Feb. 28-March 3 (Week 10)
California/Stanford at Colorado/Utah
Arizona at Arizona State/vs. Oregon
Arizona State vs. Arizona
Oregon at Arizona/vs. Oregon State
Oregon State at Oregon
UCLA/USC at Washington/Washington State

Week of March 6-9 (Week 11)
Colorado
/Utah at Oregon/Oregon State
Arizona/Arizona State at UCLA/USC
California at Stanford
Washington at Washington State
"

the local NYE concert schedule is a real letdown after last year -- I'd fukking love a conference home game on 12/31

I just received an email today regarding upgrading my seats starting tomorrow afternoon. I went in and looked and there was limited availability in general (in the first 25 rows courtside on the player's side) which means renewals were strong. Should be a good season. I have already booked lodging for the Pac 12 tournament.

I just received an email today regarding upgrading my seats starting tomorrow afternoon. I went in and looked and there was limited availability in general (in the first 25 rows courtside on the player's side) which means renewals were strong. Should be a good season. I have already booked lodging for the Pac 12 tournament.
Husband got the same email. I think his window is a little after 3 p.m. Probably won't upgrade unless we could get about 10 rows closer.

Back