What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official 2023-24 MBB Season Thread

Pretty confident LOB will still come off the bench most of the time, but will probably end up being 3rd or 4th in minutes behind KJ, Tristan, and close in minutes with Cody Williams.
So, your starters would be KJ, Hadley, Williams, TDS, and Lampkin?

I probably have some recency bias going on, but I thought LOB ended the season strong. While Hadley had some great games, his inability to score outside of 5' from the basket really hurt that team at times. I know Hadley had an outside game at prior stops, but we didn't see it last year. LOB at least forces the other team to stay out on him instead of clogging the lane.

So, your starters would be KJ, Hadley, Williams, TDS, and Lampkin?

I probably have some recency bias going on, but I thought LOB ended the season strong. While Hadley had some great games, his inability to score outside of 5' from the basket really hurt that team at times. I know Hadley had an outside game at prior stops, but we didn't see it last year. LOB at least forces the other team to stay out on him instead of clogging the lane.
Yes. Starters largely don’t matter. Look at minutes and who is in the game in crunch time. LOB will be on the floor in crunch time. Him coming off the bench gives your bench minutes some scoring punch that Hadley doesn’t bring.

Matchup dependent since some opponents will play small ball lineups, but I am pretty confident that Tad's preferred lineup would have TDS at the 3 & a big frontcourt of Lampkin + a rebounding Stretch-4.

Not sure anyone is ready among the youth to be that Stretch-4, so I figure it will be LOB. Possibly Hadley if he rediscovers his mid range jumper & a corner 3 opponents have to respect.

With Hadley still unable to shoot until otherwise proven, I really don't want to see him starting. That's a really clogged up lane since Lampkin can't shoot either.

Yes. Starters largely don’t matter. Look at minutes and who is in the game in crunch time. LOB will be on the floor in crunch time. Him coming off the bench gives your bench minutes some scoring punch that Hadley doesn’t bring.
Agree on the total number of minutes and crunch time. LOB is becoming one of those guys they can count on when they one rebound to close out a game. Just need the free throw shooting to go with it.

LOB brings a different energy this team needs.

TDS is more of a finesse player and technician. KJ has to be more controlled aggression while playing angry because of his role, not getting too loose or forcing things. I hope Cody develops like Jabari did to become comfortable & grows into a dawg by the last quarter of the season, but it sounds like he's figuring things out and isn't in a position to be an emotional leader to spark things yet.

Maybe Lampkin gives us that grit and the energy level which comes with it, but LOB is the guy I trust right now to do whatever it takes. Very valuable player who sets a tone and does all the dirty work, is athletic enough to guard at least 3 position while adding rim pressure and being disruptive, and thrives on chasing loose balls through contact.

I'd go:

KJ
Cody
TDS
LOB
Lampkin

I think that's a Top 25 starting lineup, maybe (hopefully) Sweet 16 or Elite 8 good.

I thought that Dak looked taller and more ready than Diop in the scrimmage. I'd bet one of them redshirts but I think they're pretty close to each other right now.

I'm very interested to see what lineups get rolled out when Lampkin is out. Playing TDS inside really limits him.

I'm happy that we have Lampkin, Diop, Dak, and Hurlburt on the team. It should help the progression of all of these guys when they have a bunch of other bigs to go against in practice, something that was lacking last year.

What's the over/under on Lampkins's RPG?

My feelings (based on very little) is that it won't look impressive in the stat sheet. But he'll body guys to free up other rebounders, or to make drives, and be an energy boost
Lampkin for most of his career has had a 16% defensive rebound rate. So he would have been third on the team last year (behind LOB and Ruffin). So he'll probably put up decent numbers. That said, I tend to side with @jsmilkst in that he probably won't be as impressive in the stat sheet as he is on the court because he's going to be doing dirty work and freeing up other guys to grab boards which is Tad's style (look at Lawson last year).

That said, I do think he's going to crush it on the offensive boards this year.

so excited for this season. I must say, as a fan of the program for more than a decade now, it always feels like during our best years we are one piece away from being truly remarkable.

the fullest team we had was the year Spencer went down with the ACL. this year it feels like we are one solid guard away – JHIII could prove me wrong though

so excited for this season. I must say, as a fan of the program for more than a decade now, it always feels like during our best years we are one piece away from being truly remarkable.

the fullest team we had was the year Spencer went down with the ACL. this year it feels like we are one solid guard away – JHIII could prove me wrong though
He won't be the guard that puts us over the top. He's a nice backup piece but he doesn't raise our ceiling, only our floor. This team is really short on guards.

He won't be the guard that puts us over the top. He's a nice backup piece but he doesn't raise our ceiling, only our floor. This team is really short on guards.

agreed, wasn't trying to suggest that. I'd be happy with a senior year Dom Collier or Nate Tomlinson type (or even someone with the upside of Key), not asking for a Kin. still unsure why Tad has struggled to consistently have more than one above average guard on the team

agreed, wasn't trying to suggest that. I'd be happy with a senior year Dom Collier or Nate Tomlinson type (or even someone with the upside of Key), not asking for a Kin. still unsure why Tad has struggled to consistently have more than one above average guard on the team
I will say Tad did kick some tires in the transfer portal for some pgs/ combo guard. Chance McMillan and Jaylin Sellars come to mind before we signed Bangot. Bangot seems like a late recruiting cycle steal though but yes would love another guard.

Ruffin was a PG in high school and had some extremely fun highlights running the show for his team included some buzzer beaters. Not sure if the intention for him was to become a 3rd ball handler just can't get him healthy.

Tad was bullish on courtney anderson, but I got the sense it was a long term bullish. Hopefully he is the next big time PG.

1) is this legal? (not that Duke cares)
2) the language in this tweet cracked me up

I don't think it's legal. Only students in the portal are allowed to be contacted about transferring. Of course, I don't know how it could be policed.

I don't think it's legal. Only students in the portal are allowed to be contacted about transferring. Of course, I don't know how it could be policed.
I'm assuming everyone knows there are a million ways around that. For example, one of the Duke assistants might "know a guy" who 'just happened' to approach a friend/family member/rep of TDS and say he's 'heard' that money is available if he wants to transfer.

All kinds of fun stuff out there.

I'm assuming everyone knows there are a million ways around that. For example, one of the Duke assistants might "know a guy" who 'just happened' to approach a friend/family member/rep of TDS and say he's 'heard' that money is available if he wants to transfer.

All kinds of fun stuff out there.
That sounds like a topic that, ya know, might be part of blog post, maybe about college basketball and the buffaloes in particular, ya know maybe you know someone that occasionally writes up their thoughts on those topics
Dave Chappelle Omg GIF

Matchup dependent since some opponents will play small ball lineups, but I am pretty confident that Tad's preferred lineup would have TDS at the 3 & a big frontcourt of Lampkin + a rebounding Stretch-4.

Not sure anyone is ready among the youth to be that Stretch-4, so I figure it will be LOB. Possibly Hadley if he rediscovers his mid range jumper & a corner 3 opponents have to respect.
It may have miraculously been rediscoverved, but I wouldn’t count on it. Think Hadley is time away for starting action

Back