What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Arizona Pregame/Game Thread

I was thinking the exact same thing. When I mentioned it to my son, he said "that would be the dumbest rule ever, if you couldn't call a fair catch off the bounce." I was so confused by his statement...but I guess he was right.
* Then last night I learned, even if you bobble a fair catch, you are still entitled to the fair catch.
Maybe that rule wasn't in place when I played, idk? It was the first I've heard of it. I was always told, whether it was a real short punt or the wind knocked it down, whatever, to get the **** away from it. Call peter or pecker, and back off so it didn't bank off anybody. If the coaches even knew that rule, which I doubt, you don't know how it'll bounce, unless it's end over end.

Lewis has not been confident. Hopefully that has changed. He has great HS stats and has shown he can run and throw it. The fact he set every QB weightroom record as soon as he got here, should tell you something about his character and commitment (he sure doesn't look muscular) I'm betting he'll be one of our best ever.

Woods play was incredible - this kid is a great athlete. He obviously had to avoid running into the kicker, so he ran in full speed, with just his had stuck down and low. After blocking it, he had the vision to watch and chase down the ball - again, rushing in at full speed. This was the opposite of a lucky play.

Davis hasn’t had a carry since UNC garbage time. This narrative isn’t true anymore. At some point, CU fans may need to accept that Clayton just isn’t anything special
He played against A&M and Minnesota. He is terrible with pass blocking assignments from my observation. I think if Lewis is running for his life you can't have a Clayton back there until he gets better at picking up the blitzer, chipping the LB and isn't ole to the guy coming through so he can release to run his wheel route.

Arizona is very bad yes. 1st game this year with multiple jet sweeps and pop passes by Chev. He still sucks and gets way too predicable but I’m now leaning towards the camp that KD is pushing WCO on Chev. Hopefully this will stop.

someone with real O line knowledge can chime in but I don’t get how are better linemen like Kusch, Purcell and Roddick are just getting dominated every week? With Turley they should be stronger but it’s nuts some run plans 1-3 OL are getting pushed 5 yards in the backfield.

I was thinking the exact same thing. When I mentioned it to my son, he said "that would be the dumbest rule ever, if you couldn't call a fair catch off the bounce." I was so confused by his statement...but I guess he was right.
* Then last night I learned, even if you bobble a fair catch, you are still entitled to the fair catch.
I’m pretty sure the Arizona punt returner did the exact same thing earlier in the game (minus the CU player trying to steal it from him).

I've never heard of fair catching off the bounce. I didn't know you could. Returning punts, I'd yell Peter or Pecker if I couldn't field it, everybody would clear out. Kicks, you better make damn sure it goes out or it's live. Yes, I let them know I might say pecker instead of Peter. :D

So the fair catch signal must be given prior to the ball hitting the ground. Once signaled the receiving team cannot advance the ball and it becomes dead the moment it is possesed. The right of the receiver to possess the ball unimpeded ends when the ball strikes the ground. So if the ball is muffed or bobbled but doesn't touch the ground the kicking team can't attempt to get the ball. If it touches the ground the kicking team may attempt to possess the ball.

In the game the only question was did the Arizona player touch the ball first and that wasn't clear or obvious from the replay so Arizona maintained possession.

Did see lots of youth playing. Brady was really quiet. Arias, just don't know? Keep thinking he's going to break out.?.? Gonzalez is a stud, I love Wells, Landman is you know.
Yesterday was a gorgeous day.

Did see lots of youth playing. Brady was really quiet. Arias, just don't know? Keep thinking he's going to break out.?.? Gonzalez is a stud, I love Wells, Landman is you know.
Yesterday was a gorgeous day.
Arias is big, fast, seems to run decent routes but the hands just aren’t there. Had the nice catch on the 8y curl route but if I noticed on the end zone cam reply he actually almost dropped it. Probably does drop it frequently in practice I bet.

So the fair catch signal must be given prior to the ball hitting the ground. Once signaled the receiving team cannot advance the ball and it becomes dead the moment it is possesed. The right of the receiver to possess the ball unimpeded ends when the ball strikes the ground. So if the ball is muffed or bobbled but doesn't touch the ground the kicking team can't attempt to get the ball. If it touches the ground the kicking team may attempt to possess the ball.

In the game the only question was did the Arizona player touch the ball first and that wasn't clear or obvious from the replay so Arizona maintained possession.
It's kinda funny, we were talking about this. I was watching Miami and Jacksonville, don't ask me why and ****. Dude was gonna field a punt, then backed off after the bounce. Only problem was, he tried to field it after. They said he didn't touch it, but he did. Index finger on his left hand moved, but they said they didn't have enough. He definitely touched it.

This is the confusing part - if he signals fair catch, then the ball hits the ground, can you tackle him before he gets the ball to allow the ball to keep rolling?

The crowd shot mid way through this clip is pretty good. I know it was family weekend, but the gameday atmosphere was really good yesterday for ANY CU game, let alone for a 1-4 team playing an 0-5 team

Yeah, it was great. It wasn't just about the lead/winning. There seemed to be a huge turnout due to family weekend and - if you think about it - it was the first family weekend in two years! We had some family from Dallas sitting next to us (son and niece bounced over from the student section occasionally for photo ops and free food); the weather was great and people were just having a really good time.

Yeah, it was great. It wasn't just about the lead/winning. There seemed to be a huge turnout due to family weekend and - if you think about it - it was the first family weekend in two years! We had some family from Dallas sitting next to us (son and niece bounced over from the student section occasionally for photo ops and free food); the weather was great and people were just having a really good time.
I'm assuming someone squatted in our seats.

It's kinda funny, we were talking about this. I was watching Miami and Jacksonville, don't ask me why and ****. Dude was gonna field a punt, then backed off after the bounce. Only problem was, he tried to field it after. They said he didn't touch it, but he did. Index finger on his left hand moved, but they said they didn't have enough. He definitely touched it.
This is the confusing part - if he signals fair catch, then the ball hits the ground, can you tackle him before he gets the ball to allow the ball to keep rolling?
If he signals fair catch he has a right to get to the ball unimpeded even if it has touched the ground so no you can't tackle him without the ball.

Even though the returner has a right to get to the ball most coaches will coach their returners to stay away from the ball once it is on the ground. Reason for this is that it is very hard to predict the bounce of the ball. It's far to easy to get an odd bounce that results in touching or dropping the ball resulting in a turnover.

If a coach has a high level of confidence in his returner and/or the ball is in open space where even if he muffs it he is likely to get it then the response may be different.

Sometimes it is hard to let it go on the bounce because if allowed to roll it might go another 15-20 yards.

Something that gets overlooked as well is that if the kicking team touches the ball first then the returning team has no reason not to try to grab it and go. If they don't control it the worst that can happen is getting the ball at the point of the touch.

Back