What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official ****braska Hate Thread

And let's remember why Nebraska is where they are as a program, where no small part of the equation is how their psyche was completely broken on November 23, 2001.

In the 21 years prior to 62-36, Nebraska had:
- 233 wins
- a .857 winning percentage
- 12 conference titles
- 3 national titles

In the 21 full seasons since 62-36, Nebraska has:
- 148 wins
- a .556 winning percentage
- 0 conference titles
- 0 national titles
When they played highlights from that game on the big screen, a Husker fan sitting behind us at the game commented to his wife “that was he beginning of the end”.

It was the most self awareness I’ve heard from a fan of that program maybe ever.

3 reasons why Coach Prime will never leave college for the NFL:
1. He wants to be a mentor. He can have a much larger impact of the lives of people as a college coach.
2. He cannot abide a locker room where everyone isn't passionate and competitive. Most NFL guys aren't like most think. For over half, it's just a job.
3. NFL does not allow promotion of own brand while representing the NFL.

Colorado could lose him under 2 scenarios, imo:

1. He decided he has a different calling. Same thing happened with McCartney. In this scenario, he leaves coaching for his next passion play. I'd expect that with as big as he is on honoring his commitments, he'd stay through the end of his contract if this happened.
2. He leaves for another college program. CU does not pay him market value, does not have the ability to win a national championship (playoff / realignment or NCAA issues), does not support him well enough with the things he wants done & to do, does not follow through on things which were verbally promised to him, does not replace Rick George upon his retirement with an AD of Coach Prime's choosing, does not pay his assistants and other staff a premium, or does not have the backs of players, coaches or staffers in an incident Coach Prime believes his guys were in the right or only warrant a light reprimand or disciplinary action. All this is in CU's control to a very large extent.

I honestly believe that the odds on CU being Coach Primes final head coaching stop is over 80%. It would be higher if I fully trusted CU.
I've been seeing growing sentiment with folks in the industry that are starting to talk about him going to the NFL, or taking over for Saban at Bama or heading to another big program as soon as next year.

I don't see the NFL. His schtick doesn't work in the NFL. buy him as a good CEO HC, his passion and energy isn't built for a pro team like that. It doesn't translate to 30-35 year old career NFLers. Can you imagine a guy like Peyton Manning (as an example of purely professional) getting into it like Prime? I don't.

As far as new CFB coaching gig after this season, I don't see that because Shedeur can't transfer again can he? So long as S2 is here he won't leave. I'm on record saying that Prime is here for no more then 3 years. His MO is not to stick around in one place. It's how he keeps his brand fresh. The only reason that gives me pause with this is that CU is a perfect storm for Prime. We basically gave him the keys to the castle and said do whatever you want. He has built the program AND the brand in his image. That won't the be the case at a blue blood. They won't have gone through the burndown necessary to let Prime do what he wants. There will be other forces that push and pull him away from whatever he wants to do.

I've been seeing growing sentiment with folks in the industry that are starting to talk about him going to the NFL, or taking over for Saban at Bama or heading to another big program as soon as next year.

I don't see the NFL. His schtick doesn't work in the NFL. buy him as a good CEO HC, his passion and energy isn't built for a pro team like that. It doesn't translate to 30-35 year old career NFLers. Can you imagine a guy like Peyton Manning (as an example of purely professional) getting into it like Prime? I don't.

As far as new CFB coaching gig after this season, I don't see that because Shedeur can't transfer again can he? So long as S2 is here he won't leave. I'm on record saying that Prime is here for no more then 3 years. His MO is not to stick around in one place. It's how he keeps his brand fresh. The only reason that gives me pause with this is that CU is a perfect storm for Prime. We basically gave him the keys to the castle and said do whatever you want. He has built the program AND the brand in his image. That won't the be the case at a blue blood. They won't have gone through the burndown necessary to let Prime do what he wants. There will be other forces that push and pull him away from whatever he wants to do.
He will never coach in the NFL because he would have to coach AGAINST his kids. No way does he ever do that.
Blue bloods will not hand it all over as long as there are arrogant AD’s

I don’t think the NFL would appeal to him, but that doesn’t mean he might not see it as an opportunity to do something else. That said, there are a lot of challenges we can put in front of him here that he could enjoy. Getting the West/Northwest/Balch renovations done and getting funding for a baseball team might be challenges he would find interesting.

I don’t think the NFL would appeal to him, but that doesn’t mean he might not see it as an opportunity to do something else. That said, there are a lot of challenges we can put in front of him here that he could enjoy. Getting the West/Northwest/Balch renovations done and getting funding for a baseball team might be challenges he would find interesting.
I think he’s explicitly said he won’t coach in the NFL, but he could change his mind, I guess.

I think he’s explicitly said he won’t coach in the NFL, but he could change his mind, I guess.
He has, and outwardly expresses his desire to help kids make something of their life (by getting to the NFL, or have an amazing career elsewhere). Coaching in the NFL is the exact opposite of this.

Hold on to your britches because as soon as the off-season begins the offers and rumors will abound. It’ll test our nerves. Hopefully Prime puts everything to rest quickly.

I’ve given up trying to get into the heads of coaches or free agent athletes and the like. People are motivated by different things. Usually money. But Deion at least SEEMS to be more idealistic.

Just checked and Nebraska has a super soft schedule. Basically play all the crappy B1G schools and Michigan
I actually think they are on the right track. As much as I don’t care for Rhule, he is a good coach.

Does Prime seem like the kind of guy who gushes about his relationship with the AD, talks non stop about being a "need to be needed kind of guy", buys a multi million dollar home in the area, changes everything about a program in one offseason, convinces 50 kids to transfer to play for him, and then bounces after one year?

Come on.

Does Prime seem like the kind of guy who gushes about his relationship with the AD, talks non stop about being a "need to be needed kind of guy", buys a multi million dollar home in the area, changes everything about a program in one offseason, convinces 50 kids to transfer to play for him, and then bounces after one year?

Come on.
Also, Travis. He's not leaving for at least 2. Sweat next year.

I actually think they are on the right track. As much as I don’t care for Rhule, he is a good coach.
The B1G is probably the conference to grind out some low scoring games. But, they still need a QB. Sims is terrible. He either needs to turn it around or they need to bench him and play someone else and hope for better. Otherwise they won’t win much

Come on.
I agree. But that doesn’t mean programs won’t try. And he will get outrageous offers that will boggle our minds. Count on that. And we’ll hear all the rumors like, “According to my sources, Deion has agreed to become the head coach of XYU. They are just working out the details.”

We basically gave him the keys to the castle and said do whatever you want. He has built the program AND the brand in his image. That won't the be the case at a blue blood. They won't have gone through the burndown necessary to let Prime do what he wants.
This is what I keep coming back to. Looking at the other jobs that were open last year, could you imagine Auburn letting Coach Prime do branded cleats, or basically re-do the entire merch line to be focused on Prime? would Alabama? For that matter, would Mich. State?

The turnaround in 9 months here is insane. CU and CP makes so much sense. Would CP really walk for several more million annually if it meant giving up all the brand focus he gets here?

This is what I keep coming back to. Looking at the other jobs that were open last year, could you imagine Auburn letting Coach Prime do branded cleats, or basically re-do the entire merch line to be focused on Prime? would Alabama? For that matter, would Mich. State?

The turnaround in 9 months here is insane. CU and CP makes so much sense. Would CP really walk for several more million annually if it meant giving up all the brand focus he gets here?
Alabama doesn't even do alternate uniforms.

He's not going to Alabama. That's someone throwing **** against a wall and seeing if it sticks.

Honestly, I think Alabama doesn't even interview him when/if Saban retires. He's Prime, he does things his way, and that doesn't fly at Alabama. They're going to want a guy who is just like Bear Bryant, Gene Stallings, and Nick Saban. Bold, not unwilling to speak out from time to time, but not in any flamboyant, and yes, white.

Any talk of Prime to Bama willfully ignores the racial element of their HC hires.

That could be said of the entire SEC. Of all the head coaches in the entire history of the SEC, 5 of them have been black. Plus the programs that have hired them have been Vanderbilt (twice), Kentucky, Mississippi State, and A&M. Outside of A&M, hardly blue bloods.

I agree. But that doesn’t mean programs won’t try. And he will get outrageous offers that will boggle our minds. Count on that. And we’ll hear all the rumors like, “According to my sources, Deion has agreed to become the head coach of XYU. They are just working out the details.”
I don’t think Coach Prime is going to leave us for at least 5 years. I think the idea of taking a 1-11 team and building it from scratch into a national championship team is much more appealing to him than going to a school like Alabama where they’ve already had recent success.

I just feel like Coach Prime loves it here. Seems like this is a place he stays. Anyone else agree? Just a gut feeling.

If he does decide to leave, it will be devastating but look what he’s done for us in less than a year. At least now he’s made the head coaching job here a position that will have a lot of interest instead of being the job no one wants.

That could be said of the entire SEC. Of all the head coaches in the entire history of the SEC, 5 of them have been black. Plus the programs that have hired them have been Vanderbilt (twice), Kentucky, Mississippi State, and A&M. Outside of A&M, hardly blue bloods.

Definitely. It is not just race, but as others have alluded, a lot of SEC schools really shy away from brash head coaches. Florida (Spurrier and Meyer) seems to be the one school which thrives with the brash types.

I just feel like Coach Prime loves it here. Seems like this is a place he stays. Anyone else agree? Just a gut feeling.

I agree, but - a lot of people thought he loved it at Jackson State and would stay there for a long time.

The difference is, as people have said, JSU apparently didn't follow through on promises they made. I don't know what those promises were, but it sounds like they alienated him a little bit. That's RG's job as far as football is concerned - keep Prime happy. He's obviously a guy who keeps his word, we need to make sure we always keep ours.

I feel comfortable that RG, and Saliman, seem committed to that. I especially love that Saliman is a younger guy and seems like he'll stick around - that helps in the promises kept department.

I was not kidding when I said let him take over after RG. It would be perfect for Coach Prime.
He could still help the student athletes, he could still help elevate coaches and black coaches especially. Besides, he is building an entire brand right now.

Win - Win

Texas A&M and Florida worry me. Both not doing great and are perhaps desperate enough to allow Prime to do what he wants with the program

A&M should probably really worry us next year. Not sure that even A&M can find the money to get out from under Jimbo's contract this year. In 2024 it will a little more palatable for them, I would imagine.

Come on.
Prime seems genuinely happy here.

He has a great relationship with RG, his kids are in school here and the youngest will be for a while.

Prime wants to have an impact on kids, not just his players but on other kids as well. A big part of how happy he stays here is he is getting supported in his work to help kids of color and others he sees as not having the same advantages as others.

If it comes down to a bidding war for him we will lose but I don't think that is likely to happen. Prime is interesting when it comes to money. He has a lot of it, he isn't in love with money but it seems more sees money as a measure of respect. It wouldn't be a surprise if he brought an offer from another school to RG and RG said "Look, we don't have that kind of money, you know what we are working with, but we can give you this much and take care of your staff as well." Very good chance he looks at what RG has on the table and says he's staying.

Keep in mind that he is probably making more for his endorsements than most coaches make coaching.

I was not kidding when I said let him take over after RG. It would be perfect for Coach Prime.
He could still help the student athletes, he could still help elevate coaches and black coaches especially. Besides, he is building an entire brand right now.

Win - Win
That’s a great idea. He can transform our whole athletic department like he has done for football. Bring back wrestling, baseball, swimming/diving, etc etc.

Prime also wants to create cultural change in the white world that is Boulder. And not to just see more black students, but to create harmony and acceptance between black and white culture. I think that’s important to him.

Looks like the Nubs will win this Saturday since Northern Illinois lost to Southern Illinois which wasn't a big surprise for me. But boy if the Nubs lose this Saturday, a double digit loss season is likely.

Back