What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Buffs vs. UCLA Game Thread

agree. just worried we played like that because of the long lay off? now we have another long lay off and travel.
Not too worried. With the travel, it is essentially just an extra day off unlike the bye last week. I think it is the perfect scenario with a road game coming up.

Still feels good this morning, it was ugly but that happens to any team. Cool thing is they fought their way through it. Last year, we don't see that. Keep it movin fellas. We actually needed that type of game, it's big, for upstairs.

Mac hasn't really had a reason to punish the players yet this season until last night. Going to be some sore and tired guys this morning.

Ugly ugly ugly, but it was a win and while only 43k in the stands, man was Folsom rocking last night.

Our offense has become predictable and boring. I don't get it. I think the only thing I can chalk it up to is that the past two weeks the defenses have dominated our O Line, put pressure on our QB thus not giving our receivers time to get open or the QB to find them if they are.

Also, I'm a little concerned that we didn't really put a lot of pressure on their QB. If we do that against WSU and Utah, we may be in trouble. UCLA's QB and receivers were not good. The QB missed throws and the receivers dropped throws. This will not happen with WSU.

If we can keep Leavitt, can you imagine what he could do with 4 & 5* players? Hoping we can somehow convince him to stay.

What an ugly beautiful win last night.

Our offense has become predictable and boring. I don't get it. I think the only thing I can chalk it up to is that the past two weeks the defenses have dominated our O Line, put pressure on our QB thus not giving our receivers time to get open or the QB to find them if they are.

Also, I'm a little concerned that we didn't really put a lot of pressure on their QB. If we do that against WSU and Utah, we may be in trouble. UCLA's QB and receivers were not good. The QB missed throws and the receivers dropped throws. This will not happen with WSU.

Hopefully our best pass rusher won't get tossed because of an inadvertent "targeting" call in the WSU game.

Mac hasn't really had a reason to punish the players yet this season until last night. Going to be some sore and tired guys this morning.

Ugly ugly ugly, but it was a win and while only 43k in the stands, man was Folsom rocking last night.

I agree 100% but I think it is going to be at least a little tricky given Mac's proclivity for losing his **** when things don't go his way. Kind of hard to get real high and mighty on this one. He has to do something but if he comes off as this huge disciplinarian I think he risks at least raising some eyebrows.

I agree 100% but I think it is going to be at least a little tricky given Mac's proclivity for losing his **** when things don't go his way. Kind of hard to get real high and mighty on this one. He has to do something but if he comes off as this huge disciplinarian I think he risks at least raising some eyebrows.
What are you talking about??

Mac hasn't really had a reason to punish the players yet this season until last night. Going to be some sore and tired players.

HCMM should have Lindgren running laps too. Sefo rushed 23 times (option or called plays) for 2 yards a carry. Ridiculous on so many levels:
CU has the leading rusher in the Pac12
Not passing to Fields and Ross
An injured QB, let's run him up the gut repeatedly
Hope Lytle wasn't watching, he's already a soft verbal for that exact reason

You can just see some of the ridiculous **** talking UCLA was doing on the tv rewatch. On the punt where Oliver caught it right up on the sideline, and just kind of slithered out of bounds right away, Octavius Spencer came over and got right in his face and started jawing at him. Seriously out of nowhere, Oliver was on his way back to our sideline. Of course that started a back and forth and the refs had to intervene.

It's **** like that, I'm not blaming the refs for calls but I do blame them for poorly controlling the game and inconsistently throwing flags. Several should have clearly been off-setting. Especially considering UCLA has been building up a reputation for this. I imagine they'll be called much tighter in their remaining games.

HCMM should have Lindgren running laps too. Sefo rushed 23 times (option or called plays) for 2 yards a carry. Ridiculous on so many levels:
CU has the leading rusher in the Pac12
Not passing to Fields and Ross
An injured QB, let's run him up the gut repeatedly
Hope Lytle wasn't watching, he's already a soft verbal for that exact reason

They ran Lindsay 24 times and passed to him 11 times. How many more touches can you possibly expect to give him?

Fields and Ross were not getting open most of the night, although Fields did run out of bounds on a crucial play and Ross dropped a deep ball.

We really do not have a choice. The QB rush is a significant portion of this offense.

I think our coaches will tailor the offense to individual QB strengths. You are just trying to push a dumb narrative for no reason.

How many 15 yard penalties does Mac have this year?

Point taken, however, if any player did some of the things most coaches do they would be flagged without a doubt. It's a bit of an apples to oranges comparison.

I am not saying there shouldn't be some level of discipline. The standard is the standard and it shouldn't matter how ridiculous the other team or the officiating is (both horrible in my opinion). You either perform to your standard or not. They didn't. My point is this is a tricky area for a coach who wears his emotions on his sleeve especially in a game where there was some clear incitement from the other team and some lack of control on the part of the officiating crew. Best for everyone if Lindsey and Sefo and the other leaders take responsibility for those issues and get them fixed than for Mac to over correct.

They ran Lindsay 24 times and passed to him 11 times. How many more touches can you possibly expect to give him?

Fields and Ross were not getting open most of the night

We really do not have a choice. The QB rush is a significant portion of this offense.

1. Actually, rushing your QB 23 is a choice and not a good choice. Add to that his injury history and injury in this game and it is moronic. Now, if CU was running the wishbone and the QB was averaging 6 yards a carry, that might make sense. 2 yards per carry does not justify 23 carries for an injured QB period.
2. Fields and Ross were open, Sefo returned to his previous form of not going thru progressions - he flat out missed them. Montez was only in for a brief stint but immediately hit a slant to Fields and under threw Ross. The WR's were clearly upset with Sefo's erratic throws all night - they were open.

I actually sw a lot of positive takeaways from the game, which I posted on page 25 of this post. Sefo's play was not one of the positive takeaways. Calling that out does not translate to me having a "dumb narrative". Sefo sucked last night, fortunately defense and Special teams won the game for CU. Sefo has not looked as he did earlier in the season for whatever reason - hopefully Chev can identify the issue and turn it around. The Sefo who played against Michigan, that version was stellar and the offense was exciting to watch.

Next time, don't take my comments deliberately out of context. The "dumb narrative" comment had nothing at all to do with Sefo's poor play last night, so stop making stuff up.

1. Actually, rushing your QB 23 is a choice and not a good choice. Add to that his injury history and injury in this game and it is moronic. Now, if CU was running the wishbone and the QB was averaging 6 yards a carry, that might make sense. 2 yards per carry does not justify 23 carries for an injured QB period.
2. Fields and Ross were open, Sefo returned to his previous form of not going thru progressions - he flat out missed them. Montez was only in for a brief stint but immediately hit a slant to Fields and under threw Ross. The WR's were clearly upset with Sefo's erratic throws all night - they were open.

I actually sw a lot of positive takeaways from the game, which I posted on page 25 of this post. Sefo's play was not one of the positive takeaways. Calling that out does not translate to me having a "dumb narrative". Sefo sucked last night, fortunately defense and Special teams won the game for CU. Sefo has not looked as he did earlier in the season for whatever reason - hopefully Chev can identify the issue and turn it around. The Sefo who played against Michigan, that version was stellar and the offense was exciting to watch.

If you visit Allbuffs often you will note that there's A LOT of sentiment for Sefo. I understand a RESPECT element and a LIKE element, but sentiment is bull****. I don't know what MM's decision making process is for switching QBs during a game, but apparently last night's game didn't trip the threshold. Very fortunate to get the win, and winning defers the tough conversations. The whole issue does go away relatively soon.

I wonder how many called runs there were for Sefo, though. Every sack counts as a run. Every scramble that turns into a run of a yard or two counts as a run. I'd guess that about half of it was that stuff and most of the rest was on read option where he read the DE committing to the RB. Maybe 5 calls all night that went into the huddle as "Sefo is running this one".

Back