What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CFB Playoff discussion thread

If no further surprises:
OSU
LSU
Clemson
Oklahoma

-Utah gets in if Clemson or Oklahoma lose (committee gives nod to blue blood OU after beating "Top 10" Baylor)

-LSU/Ohio St do not sneak in as losers unless significant other chaos. Although Bama got in as a non-champ in 2017, the other P5 champ options were 2 loss USC and 2 loss Ohio State. A non-champ like getting in over another P5 conference champ with equivalent number of losses would set a new precedent.... and one that many would not be ok with.

If no further surprises:
OSU
LSU
Clemson
Oklahoma

-Utah gets in if Clemson or Oklahoma lose (committee gives nod to blue blood OU after beating "Top 10" Baylor)

-LSU/Ohio St do not sneak in as losers unless significant other chaos. Although Bama got in as a non-champ in 2017, the other P5 champ options were 2 loss USC and 2 loss Ohio State. A non-champ like getting in over another P5 conference champ with equivalent number of losses would set a new precedent.... and one that many would not be ok with.
Utah is in over OU if they beat Oregon. Only way OU gets in is if LSU wins and Oregon wins along with a win against Bailer.

**** CLEMSON!!! The mountain West is a better conference than the ACC this year, I will defend that to the death. Clemson's best win was by 14 against Texas A&M... Lsu just beat a&m by 43. I would rather see the two loss potential conference championship winners Georgia, Oregon or Wisconsin over Clemson. Good chance big 12 or Utah is left out while Clemson pretty much had a bye this whole year.

If no further surprises:
OSU
LSU
Clemson
Oklahoma

Disagree with several things in your post-Utah goes over OU if they both win next week. I think Utah has a slightly better resume than Oklahoma, but they destroy the Sooners in the game control metrics. Utah has bludgeoned everybody they've played since their loss (other than Washington)-including us. I don't think we did much to bring that on ourselves-they beat us into submission. If it were up to me, I'm putting Utah in over an SEC champ Georgia.

The only argument I could think of to keep tOSU out of the playoff would be a loss next week to 12-1 Minnesota. Now that that's off the table-Ohio State is in.

Let me preface this by saying I don't think Georgia will be able to keep up with LSU's offense-but LSU's in even with a loss to UGA. Their resume is tremendous. They've got wins over at least 3 teams who will be ranked Tuesday (Florida, Auburn, Alabama) and they should be given credit for going to Texas and beating them (even if Texas was down this year). That offense has put up Madden type numbers-they've dropped at least 35 11 times already, and they've hit 50 points 3 games in a row. They pass the game control test.

Clemson might have been on cruise control-but they pass the game control test easily.

Here's what we'll have in all likelihood-
1. Ohio State
2. LSU
3. Clemson
4. Georgia (if they beat LSU)/Utah (if they beat Oregon and LSU wins)/Oklahoma (they need to win and hope Oregon and LSU both win)

Mandel makes a good point. OU over Utah at this point based on resumes. Other factors not considered

Attachments

• 364B43FB-91B7-47E3-902A-C7925BF4307D.png
    364B43FB-91B7-47E3-902A-C7925BF4307D.png
    286.6 KB · Views: 13
Not taking game control into account at all. Utah has the better resume.

Its more of a wash than you'd think-Utah's got more wins over teams who are going to bowls than Oklahoma does. Oklahoma's got more quality wins though. I'd say Utah's loss is better because USC is ranked and KjSU isn't, but that's close. Utah destroys Oklahoma in the game control metrics-Washington was the only team they've played since their loss that they didn't blow out. I'd go Utah over OU if I'm in that room, but I'm not going to be like "Yewt got robbed!" if Oklahoma gets in ahead of Utah.

Its more of a wash than you'd think-Utah's got more wins over teams who are going to bowls than Oklahoma does. Oklahoma's got more quality wins though. I'd say Utah's loss is better because USC is ranked and KjSU isn't, but that's close. Utah destroys Oklahoma in the game control metrics-Washington was the only team they've played since their loss that they didn't blow out. I'd go Utah over OU if I'm in that room, but I'm not going to be like "Yewt got robbed!" if Oklahoma gets in ahead of Utah.

I will. If the names were reversed, it would not be a debate.

I also think ignoring OU's defensive issues (again!) is pretty weak.

Style points may matter this week, sken. Implications for covers?

Style points may matter this week, sken. Implications for covers?

Oh no question-Oklahoma's not going to pass Utah if they spot **** Bailer another 28-3 or whatever it was lead and expect **** Bailer to Falcon again. I'm already on LSU (them getting 5.5 is easy $) and Utah.......and i'm considering jumping on Oklahoma. May stay away from the ACC/B1G games. Wisconsin's really good IMO-even with the Illinois loss.

Last edited:
That Clemson spread skyrocketed. Notable UVA alums include Tina Fey.

Current Bowl predictions incorporate Utah tussling with Penn State in a lackluster Rose Bowl, while Michigan takes on USC in San Diego and Notre Dame and Oklahoma State battle it out in the world famous Camping Bowl in parts unknown. A fan of cold weather bowls are you? Well then possibly feast your eyes on Va Tech and Michigan State doing the tango at Yankee Stadium while Miami Ohio and Utah State storm into Boise to slug it out in that annual potato driven fiasco.

A perfect end to possibly the most tedious college football season since the Georgia Tech Golden Tornadoes won it all in 1917 in a campaign that included a 41-0 win over Penn, a 63-0 win over Washington and Lee* and an 83-0 win over Vanderbilt, and a 98-0 win over the Carlise Industrial Indians, a team comprised of mostly Native Americans. "They didn't seem to fully grasp which direction they should be running in." Read one newspaper report from the Central Georgian Times-Rover.

*This game was attended by Robert E Lee's daughter Mary Custis Lee, who was aged 82 at the time and would die in a few short months. (The college was renamed after R.E.L. in the 1870s.)

Finebaum thought (correctly I think) that this was the most dull off season for college football in his lifetime and a dreadfully putrid season followed in my humble opinion.

But hey, don't let that stop you from possibly enjoying UAB and Wyoming in the New Mexico Meth Bowl.

Current Bowl predictions incorporate Utah tussling with Penn State in a lackluster Rose Bowl, while Michigan takes on USC in San Diego and Notre Dame and Oklahoma State battle it out in the world famous Camping Bowl in parts unknown. A fan of cold weather bowls are you? Well then possibly feast your eyes on Va Tech and Michigan State doing the tango at Yankee Stadium while Miami Ohio and Utah State storm into Boise to slug it out in that annual potato driven fiasco.

A perfect end to possibly the most tedious college football season since the Georgia Tech Golden Tornadoes won it all in 1917 in a campaign that included a 41-0 win over Penn, a 63-0 win over Washington and Lee* and an 83-0 win over Vanderbilt, and a 98-0 win over the Carlise Industrial Indians, a team comprised of mostly Native Americans. "They didn't seem to fully grasp which direction they should be running in." Read one newspaper report from the Central Georgian Times-Rover.

*This game was attended by Robert E Lee's daughter Mary Custis Lee, who was aged 82 at the time and would die in a few short months. (The college was renamed after R.E.L. in the 1870s.)

Finebaum thought (correctly I think) that this was the most dull off season for college football in his lifetime and a dreadfully putrid season followed in my humble opinion.

But hey, don't let that stop you from possibly enjoying UAB and Wyoming in the New Mexico Meth Bowl.
Gambler’s delight. Boring games meaning something to dogs and nothing to favorites. Handicap motivation.

Still trying way too hard.

Using Finebaum as part of your argument was a nice touch though.

**** CLEMSON!!! The mountain West is a better conference than the ACC this year, I will defend that to the death. Clemson's best win was by 14 against Texas A&M... Lsu just beat a&m by 43. I would rather see the two loss potential conference championship winners Georgia, Oregon or Wisconsin over Clemson. Good chance big 12 or Utah is left out while Clemson pretty much had a bye this whole year.
You may be right about Clemson's schedule. But we are talking about an undefeated team that steamrolled the other playoff teams to win the national championship last year -- with the same QB and RB, among others.

Hard to respect the schedule they've played. Also hard not to think they'll end up being the best team in the country when it gets decided on the field in January.

You may be right about Clemson's schedule. But we are talking about an undefeated team that steamrolled the other playoff teams to win the national championship last year -- with the same QB and RB, among others.

Hard to respect the schedule they've played. Also hard not to think they'll end up being the best team in the country when it gets decided on the field in January.
The 2018/2019 season and CFP should have exactly zero influence on the 2019/2020 CFP. That said, I'm not naive enough to think that is the case.

Despite what they might say publicly politics matter. Oklahoma (B12) has been there recently and gotten blown out.

The committee knows that the PAC12 hasn't been included recently and all things being relatively equal will try to give the PAC 12 an opportunity.

If the situations were reversed and the PAC 12 had been the last couple years and the B12 left out I think they would be looking for an excuse to put Oklahoma in over Utah.

No matter what else is in play, the bigtex CCG is still a rematch. That has to be a factor when the final 4 are selected.
It will be fun to listen to the crying coming from Baylor if they win and don't get selected (which they won't.)

They won't want to talk about their embarrassing OOC schedule which included mighty Stephen F Austin (3-8 as an FCS school,) UTSA (4-8 in C-USA,) and Rice (3-9 in C-USA.)

Imagine the ACC Atlantic without Clemson.
giphy.gif

Back