What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CFP Selection Freakout Thread

They included Cincinnati a couple years ago. They say that’s their core value, but always revert to the 4 most justifiable teams.

On that part I completely agree, which is why it was such BS when they came out last week and said they pick the 4 best teams. They have always picked the 4 most deserving, or the 4 most justifiable as you put it. Whenever there's been even a sliver of a controversy they've gone with the least objectionable option for that 4th spot. Which makes this year all the more insteresting if FSU wins tonight.

It will happen at the cut line, but it will be excluding flawed teams with flawed resumes instead of trying to split hairs on whether a minorly flawed resume is more important than the teams minor flaws.
Is it easier to draw a line between #12 and #13 then between #4 and #5?

I would argue that in many ways it's actually *more* difficult.

But, I think the thought is that that the choice actually means less because no one would expect #12 or #13 to have a real chance of winning it all.

But, I think the thought is that that the choice actually means less because no one would expect either one to have a real chance of winning it all.
That's what I'm saying.

The morass from #8ish to as far as #18ish in any given year is a mess; but at that point getting left out is more about what you didn't do than what the committee did to you.

But, I think the thought is that that the choice actually means less because no one would expect #12 or #13 to have a real chance of winning it all.

Not to go hokie on you but it will actually be between the 11th and 12th spot with the top G5 team getting an auto bid. But yea I think that becomes less of an issue because in most years those teams in the 9-12 range will have virtually not shot at winning the national championship, and some years more like 7/8-12 or even 6-12 will have no shot.

The regular season games that matter are just shifted and expanded. The games that mattered before for in/out become important for byes/seeding, and the teams playing for a crack at a NY6 bowl are now playing for a crack at the playoffs.

Do we see programs resting key players? Why even play Nix or Penix yesterday under an 8 or 12 team playoff.

Do we see programs resting key players? Why even play Nix or Penix yesterday under an 8 or 12 team playoff.

That's a big concern and the Michigan-OSU game last week is another good example. They were gonna turn around and play again a week later in that situation. I will absolutely miss the elimination type games we get late in the regular season but in the conference champ games I don't think we'll see guys sitting out. For one, teams will often be playing for a bye. Second, I look at the conference championship games in basketball where both teams are often in but we see a fantastic game even though the consequences are often minor and nebulous, like one will be a 1 seed and the other might fall to a 3 seed or something like that.

I don't like the regular season being diminished but it will take on significance in a different capacity.

UGA except against UM and maybe Bama.

I’ve made my case for my four. It does not include FSU in any circumstance.
My point is you’re all about “best 4”, so if you’re going to stick with that, how can UGA be left out? Does anyone honestly believe UGA is not one of the four “best”?

You guys (Duff, UK) love this self-fulfilling prophecy phrase but how does winning big games on the field translate into a self-fulfilling prophecy? I've said that Texas should get in ahead of Alabama. FSU I just don't see, unless you want to take the easy route and just go with records. In which case let's talk about putting Libery in the CFP.
There is no justification to put Bama above UT. UT beat Bama in Bama...end of debate. I would feel for FSU if they get shut out but I can see that happening.

My point is you’re all about “best 4”, so if you’re going to stick with that, how can UGA be left out? Does anyone honestly believe UGA is not one of the four “best”?
I don't know. They're not as good this year, had a cupcake schedule, and I don't know that they're as good as Michigan, Washington, Florida State (if QB1 healthy), Ohio State, Alabama or even Oregon.

That was Saban's argument when he said Vegas would favor them over the teams included.

My personal belief is that game results matter and "best" is synonymous with "most worthy."
I agree with you. I’m trying to understand hawg because he has been all about following this “best 4, not most deserving 4” criteria from the committee.

It’s always the most worthy/deserving.

So it’s not really about the four best, but rather the four most deserving. Their charter is lip service to the idea that “best” can truly be determined
You are scrambling. You don’t seem to know the protocol. It contains multiple factors. I believe the four best are very close this year with several best teams at the margin thus I applied their criteria for championships and head to head.

I have Michigan, UDub, Texas and Bama according to that criteria.

Who do you have again?

You are scrambling. You don’t seem to know the protocol. It contains multiple factors. I believe the four best are very close this year with several best teams at the margin thus I applied their criteria for championships and head to head.

I have Michigan, UDub, Texas and Bama according to that criteria.

Who do you have again?
It’s not really that I disagree with you. I tend to think your teams are correct, especially after having one more data point that is this FSU game. I just arrive there without this narrative of “four best”. In my mind, it’s the four most justifiable or worthy among the teams in the conversation.

Back