What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Coaching Search Thread

Given that the last two G5 HCs we hired **** the bed, and the last two NFL coaches we hired **** the bed, but the last two times we hired a P5 HC or coordinator it worked out, I'm thinking we go back to that well.
I'm thinking RG hires whoever he thinks will be the best fit.

Given that the last two G5 HCs we hired **** the bed, and the last two NFL coaches we hired **** the bed, but the last two times we hired a P5 HC or coordinator it worked out, I'm thinking we go back to that well.
I'm trying to ignore that stuff. Making your hires by disqualifying guys who came from a certain type of place is bad practice, and not one I think RG is using. The one constant I've heard from all the commentators is that RG wants certain characteristics, and those are a youthfulish guy who has time in an elite program that wants his team to have an identity. The G5 HC guys we have heard about either haven't proven themselves yet or are missing something. Even a guy like Ryan Day doesn't fit the "defense, running" identity mentioned by a few different writers.

I'm reading between the lines of things like the post game coaching search commentary from Adam and Howell as well as Woelk's article today. What jumped out at me there is that Woelk didn't mention a specific identity, it's just that he talked about the lack of one. And that opens up things like going after Ryan Day or other OC's. Jimmy Lake would be the guy that checks the most boxes, but I'm still worried about how seasoned he is near the top with only one year calling plays, and that one year was with the old DC holding his hand.

I'm still of the opinion that MM didn't **** the bed. He did all that we probably should have expected him to do, which was bring the program out of the ****ter. It's just that he should have left after 2016.

Now, the other G5 HC....

Not the biggest fan of mason but he could definitely benefit from a move back out west. He would have to have a big time OC lined up in his interview though.

In the national articles about coaching searches I don't even see mentions of CU. Its all about TT, NC, Louisville,

I really like the idea of bringing in Mason. He wouldn't be my first choice, but I think he could do very well here if he brought in a top tier OC.

He's going to a bowl game this year. This from a Vanderbilt team that is probably in the worst position of any P5 school, save Kansas.
His results this year weren't that bad but he also didn't really do anything special either. 22-17 loss at ND, 41-13 loss at Georgia, 37-27 loss at home to UF and a 14-7 loss at Kentucky.

The biggest plus I see here is that is opens up Vandy for Mac to take over and take away our buyout Lol.

Doubt any article that mentions Butch Jones. As an aside, I think it's hilarious that he's having his agent get his name out for our job. My how the mighty have fallen

It gets said a lot in coaching searches: "If they hire ________, I am done" and usually it is just said for dramatic effect. But hiring Butch Jones would be as bad as it gets. Zero chance.

Franklin was winning ~8 games/yr and Mason took it over and is winning roughly 5.

No thanks. Next
Exactly. Gary Barnett was winning the Big 10 and playing in Rose Bowls at Northwestern, which is comparable to Vandy, and Colorado hired him.

I want to see a coach hired who is winning championships in their current role.

His results this year weren't that bad but he also didn't really do anything special either. 22-17 loss at ND, 41-13 loss at Georgia, 37-27 loss at home to UF and a 14-7 loss at Kentucky.

The biggest plus I see here is that is opens up Vandy for Mac to take over and take away our buyout Lol.

Plus he was up like 24-3 to Florida in the 3rd and they managed to roll off 34 in the 2nd half. We have seen enough of that stuff already.

Plus he was up like 24-3 to Florida in the 3rd and they managed to roll off 34 in the 2nd half. We have seen enough of that stuff already.
Yeah but they were pretty lucky to be ahead by that much in the first place. I actually think he could be a good choice for RG but he would need to lay out a pretty good plan for the program, explain where he wants to go at OC, and reflect on what he learned in his first head coaching job and how to fix those issues. If he does that, Colorado is a much better fit for him than Vandy and the SEC.

I guess I do not buy into the narrative that MM rebuilt the program. He had one good year out of 6 and even with that year he was only averaging 2 conference wins per year over his career. He was given every advantage that his predecessors did not have - increased salary pool for assistants, brand new facilities (top notch), multi-year contracts for assistants, relaxed requirements for getting Jucos into CU, etc. Over the years each one of those things has been pointed out on these forums as barriers to success at CU. These were all removed for MacIntyre but he squandered the opportunity.

This program has a ways to go - need an entirely new staff. Recruiting needs to be drastically improved. But here is the good news, Rick George (not MacIntyre) has laid the foundation for a coach to come in and be really successful.

I also find the attitude that CU cannot be a football power to be nauseating. CU can certainly be every bit as good as UW or Wisconsin - two programs that are consistently vying to win their conference. You have to focus on winning the conference and after that things will fall into place.

Last edited:
Back