What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Coaching Search Thread

It gets said a lot in coaching searches: "If they hire ________, I am done" and usually it is just said for dramatic effect. But hiring Butch Jones would be as bad as it gets. Zero chance.
When someone is defending Bret Bielema and you start to mull it over because some of the other names are Lane Kiffin, Mark Helfrich, and Butch Jones

giphy.gif

I guess I do not buy into the narrative that MM rebuilt the program. He had one good year out of 6 and even with that year he was only averaging 2 conference wins per year over his career. He was given every advantage that his predecessors did not have - increased salary pool for assistants, brand new facilities (top notch), multi-year contracts for assistants, relaxed requirements for getting Jucos into CU, etc. Over the years each one of those things has been pointed out on these forums as barriers to success at CU. These were all removed for MacIntyre but he squandered the opportunity.

This program has a ways to go - need an entirely new staff. Recruiting needs to be drastically improved. But here is the good news, Rick George (not MacIntyre) has laid the foundation for a coach to come in and be really successful.

I also fine the attitude that CU cannot be a football power to be nauseating. CU can certainly be every bit as good as UW or Wisconsin - two programs that are consistently vying to win their conference. You have to focus on winning the conference and after that things will fall into place.

You've got a point. Here's CU's F/+ rating going back to 2008.

2008 - Hawk - 84
2009 - Hawk - 77
2010 - Hawk - 73
2011 - Embree - 103
2012 - Embree - 122
2013 - MM - 95
2014 - MM - 83
2015 - MM - 94
2016 - MM - 20
2017 - MM - 88
2018 - MM - 82

With the exception of the 2012 disaster and the 2016 miracle, we've been consistently terrible before and with Mike MacIntyre.

I guess I do not buy into the narrative that MM rebuilt the program. He had one good year out of 6 and even with that year he was only averaging 2 conference wins per year over his career. He was given every advantage that his predecessors did not have - increased salary pool for assistants, brand new facilities (top notch), multi-year contracts for assistants, relaxed requirements for getting Jucos into CU, etc. Over the years each one of those things has been pointed out on these forums as barriers to success at CU. These were all removed for MacIntyre but he squandered the opportunity.

This program has a ways to go - need an entirely new staff. Recruiting needs to be drastically improved. But here is the good news, Rick George (not MacIntyre) has laid the foundation for a coach to come in and be really successful.

I also fine the attitude that CU cannot be a football power to be nauseating. CU can certainly be every bit as good as UW or Wisconsin - two programs that are consistently vying to win their conference. You have to focus on winning the conference and after that things will fall into place.

The 2012 Buffs finished 1-11 and had a point differential of -338 that is a tad bit over 4 tds per game. In 2018 we finished 5-7 and had a point differential of -2. I think we were so bad in 2011 and 2012 it is hard to comprehend, but we are a much different team and if Chev wasn't so bad as an OC (or maybe if we play USC later in the year) we are bowling right now.

I'd advice against listening to anyone but a few national guys like McMurphy, Feldman or local guys like Adam or Howell. But it's been so quiet, I don't think anyone outside the AD truly knows anything.

I'd advice against listening to anyone but a few national guys like McMurphy, Feldman or local guys like Adam or Howell. But it's been so quiet, I don't think anyone outside the AD truly knows anything.
It is incredibly impressive, and highly irritating, how ADRG has been able to plug up just about all the leaks. Almost nothing comes out of that AD, and as soon as something slip, it gets sealed up almost immediately.

It is incredibly impressive, and highly irritating, how ADRG has been able to plug up just about all the leaks. Almost nothing comes out of that AD, and as soon as something slip, it gets sealed up almost immediately.
Still hoping for Twitter follows and flight trackers and whatnot to work their magic. I wouldn't be surprised if they were locking down that sort of stuff too, though.

Howell doesn't know any more than Jizla. Both in the dark and throwing crap against the wall to see what sticks. At least I don't think Howell has any hidden CU-hating agenda like the other POS I reference.

The 2012 Buffs finished 1-11 and had a point differential of -338 that is a tad bit over 4 tds per game. In 2018 we finished 5-7 and had a point differential of -2. I think we were so bad in 2011 and 2012 it is hard to comprehend, but we are a much different team and if Chev wasn't so bad as an OC (or maybe if we play USC later in the year) we are bowling right now.
The step forward this program made under MacIntyre, relative to the 2 years prior to him coming here is night and day. That doesn't mean it's good enough by any stretch (obviously), but anyone should be able to use the eye test to realize the program is far more attractive and in a much better place now than when MM got here. I wish we could just put this non-argument to bed, thank Mac for the work he did to get CU to this point, and move on.

Howell doesn't know any more than Jizla. Both in the dark and throwing crap against the wall to see what sticks. At least I don't think Howell has any hidden CU-hating agenda like the other POS I reference.

Actually, Howell had some insight on Matt Wells of Utah State which was some unique insight. He is not throwing crap against the wall at all. He has been pretty measured all season.

Actually, Howell had some insight on Matt Wells of Utah State which was some unique insight. He is not throwing crap against the wall at all. He has been pretty measured all season.
I hadn't noticed that article. Could you link it or fill me in on what was said about Wells? He's not a viable candidate is he?

I hadn't noticed that article. Could you link it or fill me in on what was said about Wells? He's not a viable candidate is he?

It was a postgame video he did with Adam after the game in Berkeley.

Basically, he talked to some sources around Utah State and there seems to be people who think the OC is the real star there. A lot like the Hawkins/Petersen dynamic at Boise State.

Even if it doesn't show up on the W/L, this team is much much much better now then when Mac took over. This cupboard isn't bare. This isn't a burn it down and rebuild situation.

It was a postgame video he did with Adam after the game in Berkeley.

Basically, he talked to some sources around Utah State and there seems to be people who think the OC is the real star there. A lot like the Hawkins/Petersen dynamic at Boise State.
I think the key info here is "sources at Utah State" because I don't think he gets anything from CU. That said, I don't have any level of hatred for Howell. Definitely not like the othe POS. He has to write something, I suppose.

Yes, but that insight came from beat reporters in Utah, not the CU AD.

Agreed. It’s kind of maddening, because we have nothing to sink our teeth into yet.
At the same time, it makes me hopeful that RG essentially has his guy and is just waiting for all the necessary dominoes to fall before it becomes an official announcement.

I have faith that when Rick George says he is going to bring in a difference maker that he both means what he says and he knows what we need. I’m totally impressed with the professionalism this search appears to have taken on. Nothing is getting out of the AD from what I can see.

The step forward this program made under MacIntyre, relative to the 2 years prior to him coming here is night and day. That doesn't mean it's good enough by any stretch (obviously), but anyone should be able to use the eye test to realize the program is far more attractive and in a much better place now than when MM got here. I wish we could just put this non-argument to bed, thank Mac for the work he did to get CU to this point, and move on.

Is it far better because of Mike MacIntyre or because of Rick George? I maintain it is because of the things that Rick George has put into place.

I think the key info here is "sources at Utah State" because I don't think he gets anything from CU.

He actually talked to many players before and throughout the season.

He tended to actually hold MM for stuff he said, which was much closer to throwing crap against the wall.

Yes, but that insight came from beat reporters in Utah, not the CU AD.

The CU AD has decided to be an insular AD, so not much external reporters can do.

As I said, Howell has been pretty measured all season, except when making declarations about MM's job being in jeopardy. Given that Renck got that from a source as well, it sure seems like he got that from someone with some knowledge.

The CU AD would be wise to examine media relations with the next HC.

Is it far better because of Mike MacIntyre or because of Rick George? I maintain it is because of the things that Rick George has put into place.
Rick George has had plenty to do with where the program is today, but this just sounds like you giving MM all the blame for the bad over the last 6 years and non of the credit for the good. That's simply not the way it works when you're looking at things objectively.

Rick George has had plenty to do with where the program is today, but this just sounds like you giving MM all the blame for the bad over the last 6 years and non of the credit for the good. That's simply not the way it works when you're looking at things objectively.

Right - and recruiting IS better. It isn't good enough, but it is better. Mac put Witherspoon, Thompson, Awuzie, Lindsay, Oliver and Tupou into the NFL. We have a Heisman quality WR on the roster and some good pieces defensively.

Right - and recruiting IS better. It isn't good enough, but it is better. Mac put Witherspoon, Thompson, Awuzie, Lindsay, Oliver and Tupou into the NFL. We have a Heisman quality WR on the roster and some good pieces defensively.
I like the talent on our DL better than I have in years. Mustafa, Antwine and Lang is a junior and 2 sophomores. That's exciting.

I like the talent on our DL better than I have in years. Mustafa, Antwine and Lang is a junior and 2 sophomores. That's exciting.
Is there a position that is worse now than when MM arrived? OL is the obvious candidate, but even that group can't possibly be as horrid as 2011/2012

He started with two wins, he ended with two wins.

Back