What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Coaching Search Thread

Except for the fact Tosh is not Poly, he is Italian American.
Ha! OK - I'm Italian American and there's no chance that Lupoi is an Italian name in origin, the spelling must have been changed! I figured he was 1/8 Poly or something. Plus he recruits the Poly's so well. I guess he was raised LDS?

Last edited:
Lupo means "wolf" in italian....any kind of add-on/misspell/outright just getting it wrong was possible for Italians coming through Ellis Island. one letter would be within the margin for error. my great grandmother was italian, came to the US....and we don't know what her real last name was. they just gave her the name from her hometown.

back to topic at hand.....

list feels pretty strong....let's get one of em. come on Rick...

Lupo means "wolf" in italian....any kind of add-on/misspell/outright just getting it wrong was possible for Italians coming through Ellis Island. one letter would be within the margin for error. my great grandmother was italian, came to the US....and we don't know what her real last name was. they just gave her the name from her hometown.

back to topic at hand.....

list feels pretty strong....let's get one of em. come on Rick...

I grew up in a town that was half Italian. There were tons of names that didn't sound Italian at all - they could trace all the "name changes" back to when they came to the US. Most were because they shortened the names to sound more "American".

Nothing new (except maybe search firm name?) but update this morning from Adam Rittenburg at ESPN
Colorado

Athletic director Rick George truly kick-started the search this week, with the help of noted search firm executive Bob Beaudine. The newest name to surface is Vanderbilt's Derek Mason, who is taking the Commodores to their second bowl game in the past three seasons. Mason declined to address the Colorado speculation Tuesday, writing in a text message to the Tennessean that his "sole focus" remains on Vanderbilt and preparing for a bowl game. But there's definitely interest here, according to sources.

Colorado would make sense for Mason, a Phoenix native who could restart his clock in an easier conference/division. He also has experience recruiting the areas that matter for Colorado, namely California and Texas. Vanderbilt also is hiring a new athletic director -- possibly NBA G League president Malcolm Turner -- which adds to the uncertainty for Mason.

Utah State's Wells is a name I continue to hear, as his success in the same region could translate well in Boulder. West Virginia coach Dana Holgorsen is a fascinating candidate whose name surfaced last week with some potential interest, but I'm hearing it's highly unlikely he lands in Boulder. The same goes for Oregon defensive coordinator Jim Leavitt, who held the same post at Colorado under Mike MacIntyre. Kansas City Chiefs offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy, a former All-America running back at Colorado, could get a look but prefers to land an NFL head-coaching gig, sources say.

Ohio State offensive coordinator Ryan Day, a very in-demand candidate this cycle, could get a look at Colorado but has more ties to the East Coast and Midwest. Memphis' Norvell has Pac-12 South experience as Arizona State's offensive coordinator, but I haven't heard his name a ton here.

Nothing new (except maybe search firm name?) but update this morning from Adam Rittenburg at ESPN

So Rick George has been essentially sitting on his hands for the last 11 days waiting for a search firm during a critical recruiting period?
bd3a5d38cbbb5ef5c39c15c63810fb8970bedddf2122976517b75fb9725a7a2f.jpg

I hope that Leavitt gets a HC job this year. I don't think anyone wants it more. Perfect spot would really be if Snyder announces hire retirement and KSU decides to try out a young coach by giving JL the job.
They’ll go the Venables route over JL I would think. As long as it’s not in Colorado, more power to him

Son is a freshman at Clemson. Not sure if Venables will really make that move.
I think this notion is silly. It'd be one thing if his son was playing for Clemson and he wanted to coach him, but to pass up a HC job at what is reportedly his "dream job" because his son is enrolled as a student would be stupid.

The more time that goes by this week the more likely our next HC is coaching in a game this weekend. Anyone else could have been named now without waiting --> Leavitt, Fisch, Holgorsen, Mason, Aranda, and Long. All is quite, virtually no good leads out there, and it's because an announcement or leak now would be very distracting to a team playing for a conference title.

With that said, CU's next coach could very well be on this list - some I like, some I don't. Thoughts?
Jimmy Lake - UW DC LOVE
Matt Campbell - Iowa St. HC EH
Mike Norvell - Memphis HC NO
Josh Heupel - UCF HC NO
Tosh Lupoi - Alabama DC LIKE
Mel Tucker - Georgia DC LIKE
Jeff Tedford - Fresno St. HC NO
Bryan Harsin - Boise St. HC NOOOO
Brent Venables - Clemson DC LIKE
Ryan Day - Ohio St. OC LOVE
Greg Schiano - Ohio St. DC LOVE

*This assumes no candidates from Utah, Texas, Drake, Pitt, and Northwestern

The more time that goes by this week the more likely our next HC is coaching in a game this weekend. Anyone else could have been named now without waiting --> Leavitt, Fisch, Holgorsen, Mason, Aranda, and Long. All is quite, virtually no good leads out there, and it's because an announcement or leak now would be very distracting to a team playing for a conference title.

With that said, CU's next coach could very well be on this list - some I like, some I don't. Thoughts?
Jimmy Lake - UW DC LOVE
Matt Campbell - Iowa St. HC EH
Mike Norvell - Memphis HC NO
Josh Heupel - UCF HC NO
Tosh Lupoi - Alabama DC LIKE
Mel Tucker - Georgia DC LIKE
Jeff Tedford - Fresno St. HC NO
Bryan Harsin - Boise St. HC NOOOO
Brent Venables - Clemson DC LIKE
Ryan Day - Ohio St. OC LOVE
Greg Schiano - Ohio St. DC LOVE

*This assumes no candidates from Utah, Texas, Drake, Pitt, and Northwestern

We have a poll up in The "Coaching Bizarre" Thread. Feel Free to vote. The dumbsh*t that set up the poll didn't include Schiano for some reason.

I think this notion is silly. It'd be one thing if his son was playing for Clemson and he wanted to coach him, but to pass up a HC job at what is reportedly his "dream job" because his son is enrolled as a student would be stupid.
True, but his statement this week didn’t leave much room to move.

Back