What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Coaching Search Thread

What makes you believe you know anything about the budget?
I said “I wonder” which would indicate that I admit I don’t know. Maybe some donors have stepped up but that hasn’t been the case in the past. So my skepticism is based on history. And I have lived a lot of history.

do we really want to ? if rooting for Lake or Day isn't it best to not hear anything till Saturday night or Sunday ?
Unlike HCs, it's not that uncommon to announce that you've hired a coordinator while there are still games to be played. Hell, that is exactly what happened with Leavitt. The coordinator could finish out the season with their team and then transition over to HC here.

Ross Dellenger seems to think our options/targets are:

Matt Wells -6
Tosh Lupoi - 2
Eric Bieniemey -5
Jim Leavitt - 4
Mel Tucker - 1
Jeff Tedford. - 3

For any list that has EB on it - I would like to remind everyone how things ended with Embree and EB

You think one of the major architects of something that ended like this is going to come back just a few years later?

I said “I wonder” which would indicate that I admit I don’t know. Maybe some donors have stepped up but that hasn’t been the case in the past. So my skepticism is based on history. And I have lived a lot of history.
I was more talking about the "I don't think we can afford a $4,000,000 head coach and a couple of $700,000 coordinators plus a top staff. Oh, and a $10,000,000 buyout." Admittedly, my post came off as snarky, which wasn't intended.

Six Names to Watch as Colorado's Coaching Search Heats Up

Where the search is exactly heading remains somewhat shrouded in mystery. George and staff have been tight-lipped, but their opening should be filled within a week. The search is heating up, and the potential candidates are lining up—after all, it is just one of four Power 5 jobs currently open, joining Louisville, Texas Tech and Maryland. The Buffs could take a look at an NFL offensive coordinator, a couple of SEC defensive coordinators and a nearby coach. They mostly fit the characteristics of what you’d want at a place like Colorado.

read more...

Ross Dellenger seems to think our options/targets are:

Matt Wells -6
Tosh Lupoi - 2
Eric Bieniemey -5
Jim Leavitt - 4
Mel Tucker - 1
Jeff Tedford. - 3

EB and Leavitt on this list=lazy journalism. No mention of Lupoi's past NCAA issues either. That's why I bought a subscription to buffstampede. Adam's list is probably much more credible than anything like this. I'm open to Wells if David Yost comes with him.

I was more talking about the "I don't think we can afford a $4,000,000 head coach and a couple of $700,000 coordinators plus a top staff. Oh, and a $10,000,000 buyout." Admittedly, my post came off as snarky, which wasn't intended.
Speculation is fun isn’t it? I know we have at least two billionaire boosters. So who knows?

EB and Leavitt on this list=lazy journalism. No mention of Lupoi's past NCAA issues either. That's why I bought a subscription to buffstampede. Adam's list is probably much more credible than anything like this. I'm open to Wells if David Yost comes with him.

I think Lupoi’s “issues” are way overblown. Just my opinion.

SIAP Does anyone know when an interview process will actually start? The only thing I've seen are lists of potential candidates. The early NLI is 3 weeks away.

Pretty sure CU has much lower support from boosters than people think. I mean how much does Jay donate? He's obviously the top dog getting to travel with the team and be on the sidelines and such
062A6745.jpg

You will not hear anything concrete until the hire is leaked the night before the PC. Sometime Sunday to Wednesday next week hopefully.
Agree from CU side. Locked down. As more interviews and action happens, coaches and agents like to talk. Look for info from that side.

Pretty sure CU has much lower support from boosters than people think. I mean how much does Jay donate? He's obviously the top dog getting to travel with the team and be on the sidelines and such
062A6745.jpg
Or he just wants to travel and be on the sidelines, while other donors have other **** to do? There are plenty of big time CU donors. Whether or not they are still actively donating a lot is another question, though, and I don't know the answer. I'm assuming Rick George has done everything in his power to reengage those individuals.

Agree from CU side. Locked down. As more interviews and action happens, coaches and agents like to talk. Look for info from that side.
Agents like to talk to drum up support/leads/hype for their clients or to start bidding wars. Given how few job openings there are, I'm not sure how much that is in play this year. If leaking information is going to hurt their chances of getting a deal done (e.g. causing an outcry/protests on campus) then agents will keep things close to the vest.

All things equal, an African American, Italian-American or Polynesian coach would be a bonus I think in Boulder. Lake, Tucker, Lupoi....

Edited for correctness.

Last edited:
Back