What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Coaching Search Thread

Because that would include promoting position coaches to OC/DC most likely, and we need coaches that are familiar with Texas, California, Colorado, Arizona and Poly pipelines. There is no reason to put recruiting resources towards anywhere in the South.
UGA's top recruiter is from Texas and is currently the linebackers coach. The only problem is that many believe he will be promoted to DC, but if he is not it would be great addition for CU.

UGA's top recruiter is from Texas and is currently the linebackers coach. The only problem is that many believe he will be promoted to DC, but if he is not it would be great addition for CU.

Their top recruiter is probably Dell McGee-RBs coach. He won recruiter of the year from rivals this year. I've seen (and I can't remember where) that Lanning (their OLB coach) may be joining Tucker here. Schumann is likely to call their defense in their bowl game as an audition for the perm DC gig at UGA.

So, it's sort of fun to read through the first few pages of the two search threads (both here and in barzil).

There were early rumors that RG was looking for (or looking at) someone:

- with HC experience
- with NFL experience
- with major P5 program experience
- known to be a good recruiter
- relatively young
- defensive focus

Lots of people bitched about every one of those (frequently because one or more of them eliminated their favorite candidate); more than one person implied that if those were the criteria that we'd never find anyone that checked all six boxes and was available / would take a job at CU.

Liver hit it right in the beginning: RG was looking for a unicorn.

Well,

RG done found us unicorn: a 46 year old (1) defensive coordinator (2) who was an interim head coach for the equivalent of half a college season (3), has meaningful NFL coaching experience (4), at not just one but three elite programs in P5 conferences (5) who is considered a top 15 recruiter credited with being the primary recruiter in 4 5* and 14 4* prospects (6).

Either those really were the criteria that RG set out a couple weeks ago and he got exactly what he wanted, or he already knew who he was targeting, and every little rumor was a hint...

So, it's sort of fun to read through the first few pages of the two search threads (both here and in barzil).

There were early rumors that RG was looking for (or looking at) someone:

- with HC experience
- with NFL experience
- with major P5 program experience
- known to be a good recruiter
- relatively young
- defensive focus

Lots of people bitched about every one of those (frequently because one or more of them eliminated their favorite candidate); more than one person implied that if those were the criteria that we'd never find anyone that checked all six boxes and was available / would take a job at CU.

Liver hit it right in the beginning: RG was looking for a unicorn.

Well,

RG done found us unicorn: a 46 year old (1) defensive coordinator (2) who was an interim head coach for the equivalent of half a college season (3), has meaningful NFL coaching experience (4), at not just one but three elite programs in P5 conferences (5) who is considered a top 15 recruiter credited with being the primary recruiter in 4 5* and 14 4* prospects (6).

Either those really were the criteria that RG set out a couple weeks ago and he got exactly what he wanted, or he already knew who he was targeting, and every little rumor was a hint...
And about half of CU fans seem to not like the hire or at least seem skeptical & disappointed. :ROFLMAO:

And about half of CU fans seem to not like the hire or at least seem skeptical & disappointed. :ROFLMAO:
I blame you and Duff for the Inception-like mind control you placed on this board leading up to the Tucker news. The negative Nancy half would have loved this hire if they weren’t convinced into thinking that we needed an offense minded (you) coach within our recruiting footprint (Duff).
:D:D:D

Why is CU so bad at this? Is it a Tabor thing? It seems like we could empower our AD to execute a contract. As turn over continues, I don’t want us to have to move down the list if a more monied program swooped in at the 12th hour.

Why is CU so bad at this? Is it a Tabor thing? It seems like we could empower our AD to execute a contract. As turn over continues, I don’t want us to have to move down the list if a more monied program swooped in at the 12th hour.
This is a guess, but I think it's the bolded that is the issue. At the end of the day, the regents have to sign off on all employment contracts above a certain value.

It's certainly possible that they can't delegate that authority - only a lawyer really steeped in Colorado state administrative law could answer that question.

What is clear though is that regardless of whether or not the regents can delegate that authority, they have not done so.

The only way to really change this is to elect regents that really care about athletics; or, at a bare minimum, defeat candidates for regent that are anti - athletics.

I don't know, but suspect, that target #1 needs to be Kroll. The election in which to beat him is the primary.

I've long thought that if you're a donor to CU athletics, even a smaller dollar one, that the most effective targeting of your donation dollars would be to direct half (or more) of them towards efforts to 1. defeat regents that have demonstrated anti - athletics tendencies - replacing them with someone that is at least neutral would probably have a bigger impact than: 2. electing regents that are pro - athletics.

Last edited:
This is a guess, but I think it's the bolded that is the issue. At the end of the day, the regents have to sign off on all employment contracts above a certain value.

It's certainly possible that they can't delegate that authority - only a lawyer really steeped in Colorado state administrative law could answer that question.

What is clear though is that regardless of whether or not the regents can delegate that authority, they have not done so.

The only way to really change this is to elect regents that really care about athletics; or, at a bare minimum, defeat candidates for regent that are anti - athletics.

I don't know, but suspect, that target #1 needs to be Kroll. The election in which to beat him is the primary.

I've long thought that if you're a donor to CU athletics, even a smaller dollar one, that the most effective targeting of your donation dollars would be to direct half (or more) of them towards efforts to 1. defeat regents that have demonstrated anti - athletics tendencies - replacing them with someone that is at least neutral would probably have a bigger impact than: 2. electing regents that are pro - athletics.
@Darth Snow and @Buffnik for regents

If we became your Boulder and Denver Dems on that board, the combined budget for football and men's basketball coaching salaries would be around $20 million... and it would be the best investment the university ever made.
If you fundraise, you may have a chance. I'm not exactly the loveable type.

If you fundraise, you may have a chance. I'm not exactly the loveable type.
Yeah, but can you imagine me at a town hall in Boulder if someone told me the athletes should have a 100% vegan, cruelty-free training table? :ROFLMAO:

Or suggested that <insert non-revenue sport> is just as important as football?

Or tried to tell me that the head football coach should not make more money than any professor?

I'd lose my ****.

Yeah, but can you imagine me at a town hall in Boulder if someone told me the athletes should have a 100% vegan, cruelty-free training table? :ROFLMAO:

Or tried to tell me that the head football coach should not make more money than any professor?

I'd lose my ****.
Come on, you are a salesman. If you put that hat on you'd agree with them and in 15 minutes they'd be writing checks to the AD

Funny thing is that as I was typing that I was thinking about how I'd diffuse that. It's the bitching about it after the fact to you guys and Nikita I'd have to make sure didn't get caught on tape. :cool:
Are there recall elections for trustees??

I'd lose my ****.
Let's be real... You wouldnt get those questions in Boulder. Football wouldn't even come up in town hall!

Let's be real... You wouldnt get those questions in Boulder. Football wouldn't even come up in town hall!
True. The campaign would be all about my "green initiative". In other words, it would be all about the money but spun as being about sustainability into the 22nd century.

Back