What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Construction Update Thread

This is what we are fighting against.

AIOJRDYVNCQRHXM.20130730210631.jpg

Yes ours was "nice" but players want new. They want extra wide, leather, logo embroidered, jaw dropping, thrones.

I understand they told the regents, that we weren't building shiny things for teenagers, but that is exactly what we are doing, and it is about damn time.

@14er, I think Slider means that 2 of the 3 current field are not regulation size. I believe the only regulation field is the one in the bubble. I think the plan for the new facility is 2 regulation size fields, with folsom as a 3rd/back up.

They currently have 3 regulation practice fields. I think the new practice area will basically be the equivalent of two and a half fields. I wouldn't be surprised to see Folsom move to FieldTurf at some point, either.

Shiny things for teenagers is exactly what they're doing and it's exactly what's needed if the school wants to be competitive in big time football.

They currently have 3 regulation practice fields. I think the new practice area will basically be the equivalent of two and a half fields. I wouldn't be surprised to see Folsom move to FieldTurf at some point, either.

Would not surprise me to see that either.

Would not surprise me to see that either.

What's everyone's take on field turf? As long as it's well kept, I'm a much bigger fan of natural grass. Of course, that opinion comes from my time spent playing/coaching on both and hating how ridiculously hot the field turf gets when it's warm and sunny out.

What's everyone's take on field turf? As long as it's well kept, I'm a much bigger fan of natural grass. Of course, that opinion comes from my time spent playing/coaching on both and hating how ridiculously hot the field turf gets when it's warm and sunny out.

How many games do we play at home that are hot? They practice on 1 field that is field turf already. The practice facility will be field turf, so it would make sense to play on the same surface you practice on. The only concern I have is that since it is a bit slicker, especially when wet, how would ralphie handle running on it.

How many games do we play at home that are hot? They practice on 1 field that is field turf already. The practice facility will be field turf, so it would make sense to play on the same surface you practice on. The only concern I have is that since it is a bit slicker, especially when wet, how would ralphie handle running on it.
Ralphie ran on AstroTurf for many years without incident. CU also won a ton of games on turf. I'm all for it.

I would want to keep natural turf in the stadium, and put field turf on the practice fields and inside the IPF. I think it's important to be able to practice on both.

I've done my fair share of officiating (chains) on field turf. In general, it seems OK, but I hate the fact that I have to empty all those little rubber pellets from my shoes after every game. It does hold up better to continual use than natural grass does.

I tend to view a lot of these kinds of things from the tailgaters perspective. As there is a large tailgating lot that they'll use for the practice fields, I would hope that they'll put the field turf in there to keep it available for use year-round. As it stands now, they have to close down Franklin Field 1-2 times a year after a rain or snow storm. Those folks pay good money to park there, they shouldn't be relocated due to weather.

This is what we are fighting against.

AIOJRDYVNCQRHXM.20130730210631.jpg

Yes ours was "nice" but players want new. They want extra wide, leather, logo embroidered, jaw dropping, thrones.

I understand they told the regents, that we weren't building shiny things for teenagers, but that is exactly what we are doing, and it is about damn time.

Need to at least be > Texas Tech apparently...

I would want to keep natural turf in the stadium, and put field turf on the practice fields and inside the IPF. I think it's important to be able to practice on both.

I've done my fair share of officiating (chains) on field turf. In general, it seems OK, but I hate the fact that I have to empty all those little rubber pellets from my shoes after every game. It does hold up better to continual use than natural grass does.

I tend to view a lot of these kinds of things from the tailgaters perspective. As there is a large tailgating lot that they'll use for the practice fields, I would hope that they'll put the field turf in there to keep it available for use year-round. As it stands now, they have to close down Franklin Field 1-2 times a year after a rain or snow storm. Those folks pay good money to park there, they shouldn't be relocated due to weather.

Agreed. Natural looks amazing, we have a tremendous system built to accommodate weather, and lets not make faster teams even faster. Unless we are the fastest team out there. Not there just yet.....

I am all for grass and sand or whatever mizzou allegedly put on their field in the early 90s

There has been no correlation to any health effects and rubber infill for synthetic turf fields. None

Lots being accomplished on the Operations building. BTW I watched the construction video they released on Groundbreaking day and this building is supposed to be complete approximately next month. But it looks like that got pushed back some with the addition of the parking garage

RE: My inquiry to RG on updates to SEI website:

Thank you for the email. We are kicking off our public campaign of or facility on Saturday and will add updated information to the website after that kickoff. Thank you for your interest and support!

Rick

C ollaboration & U nity

RICK GEORGE | ATHLETIC DIRECTOR
Department of Intercollegiate Athletics | University of Colorado Boulder | UCB 368, Boulder, CO 80309
Office: 303-492-6843 | Rick.George@colorado.edu
CUBuffs.com | @CUBuffs | Facebook

The Saturday before the Super Bowl we are going to release our favorites master plan, new uniforms, and announce our DC.

BTW more steel going up right now. 3rd floor above the NE stands is going up, and it appears that 4th floor will be the top floor/roof top level. The building is huge. Otherwise, still digging on the east side, with some concrete formwork going up in a couple of places. Appears most work is going on inside where the locker room area is.

Is there a reason snow melts faster on the painted portions of the field? Seems weird that you can see the endzone writing, buffalo, and Pac12 logos through the snow.

Black absorbs more energy than green. Physics!

Back