What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Construction Update Thread

Its a good idea, but would cost way more than it is worth. To give the kind of clearance you are asking for would be a huge demo project of probably 8-10 rows per side, and while taking those out you would have to brace the entire bowl of the stadium temporarily while you take out the bottom wall. The entire bowl, being original construction, is on grade. I would bet they would end up tearing out a lot of the stadium in order to accomplish what you are asking for and do it safely.
I'm pretty sure "the entire bowl" is not "original construction." At one point there was a track around the football field; then in the 60s? 70s? they "lowered the field" and installed both the big "Colorado" at the south end of the field and the now current bottom x rows of seating.

Depending on how many rows that "x" is above and how it was constructed, the possibilities range from "easily feasible / relatively inexpensive" to "engineering nightmare / outrageously expensive."

When thinking about things to upgrade/build involving athletic facilities, there needs to be an answer to why it needs to be done. The field house desperately needs an upgrade as it is used for multiple events, year round, and is a complete eye sore. There is a definitely to upgrade. Is there an answer for why they would widen the sidelines? Seems like an unnecessary cost, IMHO.

Wow thanks for that warm welcome everyone :wow: They always tell you that the first time is awkward and uncomfortable but you will remember it forever. So wise so true.

I had read about the lowering the field and adding rows when they got rid of the track, so I was just curious to see if anyone had heard of them exploring reversing that to some degree. It wouldn't have to be much because I also love how intimate Folsom is, but I would think that at some point some NCAA person is going to come up with a regulation for player safety that is going to force them to do something about it.

I also thought that doing it and then renovating the west side, including Balch, would be a good idea because they could add a second level on that side to make up for the lost seating along with any plans for new suites, etc.

Wow thanks for that warm welcome everyone :wow: They always tell you that the first time is awkward and uncomfortable but you will remember it forever. So wise so true.

I had read about the lowering the field and adding rows when they got rid of the track, so I was just curious to see if anyone had heard of them exploring reversing that to some degree. It wouldn't have to be much because I also love how intimate Folsom is, but I would think that at some point some NCAA person is going to come up with a regulation for player safety that is going to force them to do something about it.

I also thought that doing it and then renovating the west side, including Balch, would be a good idea because they could add a second level on that side to make up for the lost seating along with any plans for new suites, etc.

**** the ncaa

I'm pretty sure "the entire bowl" is not "original construction." At one point there was a track around the football field; then in the 60s? 70s? they "lowered the field" and installed both the big "Colorado" at the south end of the field and the now current bottom x rows of seating.

Depending on how many rows that "x" is above and how it was constructed, the possibilities range from "easily feasible / relatively inexpensive" to "engineering nightmare / outrageously expensive."

Ok, so 6 rows on each side are not original.

As excited as I am about what's going on now, I'm more curious about what they'll eventually do on the West side. Will they put in another "Champions club" to mirror what they are putting in now? What will they do with the Flatirons Club/Press Box? It's a unique characteristic in Folsom, but it's very limiting. How will they renovate Balch? Will they incorporate Balch and Carlson somehow to provide for another iconic entrance to the stadium complex? Will there be a second deck placed on the West side?

I just hope I live long enough to see it. I'm guessing we're still looking at another 20+ years before that stuff gets done. I hope I'm wrong on that, though. If they could pull that off in 5-10 years, I'd be thrilled.

Its a good idea, but would cost way more than it is worth. To give the kind of clearance you are asking for would be a huge demo project of probably 8-10 rows per side, and while taking those out you would have to brace the entire bowl of the stadium temporarily while you take out the bottom wall. The entire bowl, being original construction, is on grade. I would bet they would end up tearing out a lot of the stadium in order to accomplish what you are asking for and do it safely.

Not really.

Since the stands are slab on grade construction near the bottom the concern after demo of the retaining wall at the bottom you'd have to keep the earth under the stands from sliding out.

1. You'd likely demo the non structural sidewalk and the first and 2nd rows bleacher while leaving the existing retaining wall.
  2. Next either install steel retaining wall panels (pile driven) or pour a series of caisson tubes side by side for the width of the demo area to hold back the earth.
  3. Then demo the retainning wall, excavate the soils, and pour a new retaining wall in front of the panels or tubes.

That would move the wall back about 10-15' leaving more room in the bench areas.

Folsom has some nice ambience with seating that close to the field. It is indeed a little tight down there on the sidelines having spent a bunch of time there. The only thing at the bottom we'd be losing is that sidewalk area thats in front of the first row. I'd hate to have those bottom row seats for season tickets as people would always be walking in front of you and stopping to watch the game as they cut across the stadium. I'd only probably do this in the bench area between the 15s where the bowl is much lower already.

Last edited:
As excited as I am about what's going on now, I'm more curious about what they'll eventually do on the West side. Will they put in another "Champions club" to mirror what they are putting in now? What will they do with the Flatirons Club/Press Box? It's a unique characteristic in Folsom, but it's very limiting. How will they renovate Balch? Will they incorporate Balch and Carlson somehow to provide for another iconic entrance to the stadium complex? Will there be a second deck placed on the West side?

I just hope I live long enough to see it. I'm guessing we're still looking at another 20+ years before that stuff gets done. I hope I'm wrong on that, though. If they could pull that off in 5-10 years, I'd be thrilled.

Carlson is rumored to be a new academic building. It is one of only a few buildings on campus that could house a 200 person auditorium. I have see plans for Balch that call for it to be raised and a new 2 tier building on that side.

Here's the old footprint:

AKZECEGEQPXISTA.20110425223420.jpg

Carlson is rumored to be a new academic building. It is one of only a few buildings on campus that could house a 200 person auditorium. I have see plans for Balch that call for it to be raised and a new 2 tier building on that side.

Yes, I know Carlson is scheduled for a substantial renovation. I have said this a lot, but I don't see why it can't be incorporated into the stadium complex itself. The entrance to Carlson is iconic. I think it would be fantastic to use that as an entrance to the stadium.

images

I don't think we will have to worry about how often we build with RG here. Too much potential revenue to ignore it

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

While we focus on Balch and Club seating for the West Side (as we should), I think that the press box renovation is one of the most vital Next Phase projects.

CU doesn't get a lot of love/respect from the media and we complain about that a lot. One of the quickest ways to turn that coverage around is to give the media a first class experience when they come to CU. A press box that lays out a great spread that has sports reporters arguing over who gets to use the outlet's press passes will make an impact on the type of coverage CU gets. Human nature. If my job was to cover a CU football game and I was hosted in a way that rolled out the red carpet, I would be in a positive frame of mind and it would color the tone in which I reported or commented.

Also, press box being nice probably tips the scale (all things being equal) on ESPN and FS1 producers/crew/talent wanting to do games at Folsom.

just a guess but i think RG will plan some additional foam dome upgrades before west side, probably more manageable fiscally and time-line wise. still hope he gets a new sound system and some new paint and signage into folsom quick though.

Yes, I know Carlson is scheduled for a substantial renovation. I have said this a lot, but I don't see why it can't be incorporated into the stadium complex itself. The entrance to Carlson is iconic. I think it would be fantastic to use that as an entrance to the stadium.

images

To the bolded, because it will be classrooms. The only thing connecting it to the stadium at that point will be location.

just a guess but i think RG will plan some additional foam dome upgrades before west side, probably more manageable fiscally and time-line wise. still hope he gets a new sound system and some new paint and signage into folsom quick though.

This. I'm just happy we're finally getting upgrades after it appeared they would never come

To the bolded, because it will be classrooms. The only thing connecting it to the stadium at that point will be location.

Those two are not mutually exclusive. What does the fact that it'll be academic space have to do with it's ability to be used as part of the stadium complex?

Those two are not mutually exclusive. What does the fact that it'll be academic space have to do with it's ability to be used as part of the stadium complex?

It will have to be open and usable by students on game days, which would not be possible if it was a ticketed entrance. Also I think their plan to put a 200person lecture hall in there will take up enough space that it will not be connected to the stadium complex anymore.

It will have to be open and usable by students on game days, which would not be possible if it was a ticketed entrance. Also I think their plan to put a 200person lecture hall in there will take up enough space that it will not be connected to the stadium complex anymore.

No it won't. I don't get this. There are a grand total of six Saturdays in the whole entire year that would impact the usage of that facility. What would be wrong with tying the Carlson facility into a newly renovated Balch and having people enter through the grand entrance at Carlson? Use the classroom space for game-day activities. It's six days a year. The school needs to learn to leverage it's assets a little better. We have an opportunity here to do something truly special. I'm concerned that we will let the opportunity pass us by.

No it won't. I don't get this. There are a grand total of six Saturdays in the whole entire year that would impact the usage of that facility. What would be wrong with tying the Carlson facility into a newly renovated Balch and having people enter through the grand entrance at Carlson? Use the classroom space for game-day activities. It's six days a year. The school needs to learn to leverage it's assets a little better. We have an opportunity here to do something truly special. I'm concerned that we will let the opportunity pass us by.

In this case, they absolutely will.

A little random timing for this post, but I just finally decided to join the action. With all the talk about the need to renovate Balch as the next big thing on RG's to do list, I was wondering why it seems nobody brings up how narrow our sidelines are. I would think that knocking out the first few rows on the east and west sidelines to create more room would be a priority because of the safety issue that the current setup brings. I cringe every time a player heads for the sidelines on a play because I know they are about to take a shin or side or head to the benches that are mounted to the wall. Anybody know if that kind of thing is even remotely on anyone's radar?

At VT, we expanded the side lines and put down a firm surface at request of the networks because the previous configuration didn't allow full mobility of the sideline camera-boom-mobile (I'm sure there's a different name for that). They suggested we be on TV more if we did. I haven't taken note if the sidelines at Folsom allow for that, or if new technology has made the sideline width/surface issue moot.

At VT, we expanded the side lines and put down a firm surface at request of the networks because the previous configuration didn't allow full mobility of the sideline camera-boom-mobile (I'm sure there's a different name for that). They suggested we be on TV more if we did. I haven't taken note if the sidelines at Folsom allow for that, or if new technology has made the sideline width/surface issue moot.

They put in the giant permanent lights at folsom, on the west side, for High Def and Spider Cams.

Back