What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU Head Coach Search Thread - Primetime

Season 3 Thank You GIF by The Office

Its was always going to be tough. I am someone who adapted JSU when Coach Prime came and watched every game as well as HBCU media, called in, and was a major fan. Honestly, I am not going to miss it. HBCU fans are delusional with the quality of the conference and their fans are ignorant but they lack patience when someone doesn't speak the way they want you to speak. So I could care less about them honestly.

That said, there are players Colorado should target from JSU
Obviously Deion is going to bring his three sons, Travis, Shedeur and Shilo.
Cam who's #7,
Herman Smith from San Diego
Willie Gaines and Kevin Coleman
Willis Patrick
Nyles Gaddy
Shane Hooks
Mata who's their kicker
Of course only if they want to leave JSU. If they want to stay, I hope they stay but those players can play at the P5 level and do work.

JSU WR and secondary is their talent strengths. They have an exceptional WR room talent wise.
Deion only has two sons that are playing and the third (Deion Jr) graduated from SMU a while ago. Who you talking about?

Deion only has two sons that are playing and the third (Deion Jr) graduated from SMU a while ago. Who you talking about?
Travis is what we in HBCU world call his 3rd son and his 2nd favorite son. Travis and Deion have a father/son relationship and Travis spends as much time with the Sanders family as his children. If you been following them on a daily basis, we call Travis, Travis Sanders-Hunter

I’m glad we were willing to invest this time to land a hire that has brought more national attention to this university than anything since we “won” a national championship but I hope we bring that same energy when/if he’s successful and gets offers from other schools.

I think we’ll see more applications, more money from donors, more attention that ultimately benefits others parts of the university which I hope will be a bit of a wake up call to those in the BOR who always thought football was a waste of money and thus cheaped out on offers and candidates/refused to change transfer rules etc.

This is the best hire CU could possibly make. I expect Deion to have good success at CU. But the positive attention that Deion will bring to CU is even more important than any on-field success at this point. CU is once again relevant on the national scene.

Beyond stoked. My fear is that somehow Midnight Mel type things occur next if he has a glimmer of success. I hope that contract is iron clad and we have him here a while without CU being a stepping stone.

Beyond stoked. My fear is that somehow Midnight Mel type things occur next if he has a glimmer of success. I hope that contract is iron clad and we have him here a while without CU being a stepping stone.
Like I said, they will see tangible results throughout the rest of the university that will only solidify Salomon’s offer and investment into staff. CU football is back and we finally have university support.

I suspect that if things go well we’re going to invest everything we can into keeping him. The similarities between PT and McCartney are uncanny. The recruiting ability, the motivation factor, the religious factor, will lead us to success for years to come. I think Deion stays even if he does well as it’ll be the most historic and memorable moment in CFB, to take a university that has struggled for 20+ years but at the same time has such a breadth of history and achievements, back to national prevalence. He could be the next John H. Or Nick S. He could make his mark on CFB history.

I know it’s a ridiculous comparison but it’s almost like when Bear Bryant came to Alabama.

Also I want to give a shout-out to Mike M. I never expected to be good at football when I started school in 2014 but still remembered the early 2000’s and 1990’s fondly. When 2016 happened, it made me a fan for life. Here’s to getting back to national relevance, a president who cares, and a coach who’s going to change the future of CU’s trajectory at every level for years to come. We deserve this.

I didn’t know much about Deion other than the hype. You know, “Neon Deion” and all that. When he was hired as HC at JSU I hardly noticed. I think I thought it was more of a stunt. I thought he was all “glitz and glam.”

After seeing him address his players, I’m just really impressed with the person he is. Down to earth. Mature. Level headed. Wise. Those are the traits I saw that I would never have expected. He speaks the language that young people understand.

I didn’t know much about Deion other than the hype. You know, “Neon Deion” and all that. When he was hired as HC at JSU I hardly noticed. I think I thought it was more of a stunt. I thought he was all “glitz and glam.”

After seeing him address his players, I’m just really impressed with the person he is. Down to earth. Mature. Level headed. Wise. Those are the traits I saw that I would never have expected. He speaks the language that young people understand.
Your first hint should be that he hates ”Neon Deion”, but embraces Prime Time / Coach Prime.

As in he delivers his best on the biggest stage/brightest lights.

Last edited:

I felt kind of the same way, but then he started pulling top level recruits, was going toe to toe with Saban in commercials where Sabam wasn’t overshadowing him and I like, “huh…this dude has grown up and is probably going places.”

I’ll still maintain that my skepticism was rooted in his genuine desire advance black coaches and support black communities…which made me think he would go to a more southern university with a larger local black community.

I’m not complaining!

Plenty of people take credit for other people’s work. That doesn’t mean that they deserve the credit.
Sounds like RG was pretty essential to getting this done. "Rick is a whole 'nother thing. I met my match." Sweet.

What's really amazing is how much energy everyone speaking had, even before Coach Prime. I've never seen RG that pumped up, certainly not for any of the prior hirings. I think this is the Prime-Effect we all are so giddy about.

Sounds like RG was pretty essential to getting this done. "Rick is a whole 'nother thing. I met my match." Sweet.

What's really amazing is how much energy everyone speaking had, even before Coach Prime. I've never seen RG that pumped up, certainly not for any of the prior hirings. I think this is the Prime-Effect we all are so giddy about.
It appears to me that Saliman is perfectly content letting his employees get the publicity for this achievement. Prime was well wishing everybody. I do not believe that you’re going to get the full details of his hire from an initial press conference.

It appears to me that Saliman is perfectly content letting his employees get the publicity for this achievement. Prime was well wishing everybody. I do not believe that you’re going to get the full details of his hire from an initial press conference.
Here’s what’s going to happen. The Athletic will come out with a long form article about the hiring process and all the behind the scenes stuff and we’ll find out a lot of the details. Soon after, some random writer will tweet out that they’ve been hired by The Athletic to cover the CU football team as it’s new beat writer.

I think it's a stretch to suggest that somehow Coach Prime was not being genuine in his expression of respect for and enjoyment of dealing with RG as the focal point of the hiring process, even as to the introduction of CU as a possibility and selling it as a destination. If Saliman gave RG authority to go after Coach Prime and support behind the scenes, great. That's a phenomenal sign for the future. But Coach Prime was not just 'wishing everybody' well. His discussion of his interactions with RG were specific, glowing, and seemingly dispositive as to how he ended up here.

I think it's a stretch to suggest that somehow Coach Prime was not being genuine in his expression of respect for and enjoyment of dealing with RG as the focal point of the hiring process, even as to the introduction of CU as a possibility and selling it as a destination. If Saliman gave RG authority to go after Coach Prime and support behind the scenes, great. That's a phenomenal sign for the future. But Coach Prime was not just 'wishing everybody' well. His discussion of his interactions with RG were specific, glowing, and seemingly dispositive as to how he ended up here.
It is a stretch to think that you’ll get conclusive evidence about a coaching search in a feel good presser. He was wishing everyone well. Prime even gave PDS a hug for chrissakes. On multiple occasions, Prime said that the people who showed up for the press conference should feel proud.

Back