What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU Head Coach Search Thread - Primetime

I’m envisioning Phil in his office wondering why nobody wants to coach here. I’m certain it is genuinely perplexing to him and there’s not a shred of self awareness to be found.
Phil: “I don’t get it! We’re giving them all of our requirements to be a coach here? I’d think they would respect that! We’re even helping them hire the assistants we want!”

Sadly, this is the national narrative around the CU job:

The search may not be very fruitful though, as some of the reviews coming back concerning the prospects of the job aren’t exactly positive.

According to CBS Sports’ Dennis Dodd, there have been some very harsh realities brought to light about the Colorado job from anonymous outside perspectives.

“The complications are it’s a difficult, complex landscape. It’s different than most people think it is,” one coach familiar with Colorado told CBS Sports.

Another anonymous coach told Dodd that he “wouldn’t wish that job on anybody.”
well..... Tuck turned a 5-7 record and an ok recruiting class into $10,000,000.00.
I wouldn't wish that job on anybody.

well..... Tuck turned a 5-7 record and an ok recruiting class into $10,000,000.00.
I wouldn't wish that job on anybody.
True. P5 coaching jobs are an opportunity of a lifetime so it cuts even deeper when the CU job is viewed with disdain.

The stakeholders have accepted failure for two decades. All of us have been more than patient. CU is costing itself money and prestige with its poor management and approach. I reject “it’ll never work here” when all we are asking is that CU do what every other state school in the country does.

So we are entering the “Rumor” stage I guess. Oh, and the usual “anonymous source wouldn’t wish that job on anybody” garbage.

One thing that column does is puts all the pressure on RG and PD to do what they can to disprove the points it makes. Every coach that interviews will be asking “what are you going to do to help me be successful here?” And then whatever contract they sign will have some very specific language. While the tone of the column hurts, the message isn’t something we to most of us. To guys like Phil, I genuinely believe he has no idea.

I view Grimes as a guy in the middle of those paradigms. A guy who has a ton of experience over a long, successful career in many different capacities at many different programs. An elite offensive tactician and playcaller whose success isn't predicated on having top 10 talent in the country, but certainly knows what big time recruiting operations looks like.

He has proven everything he can possibly prove and I view him as the safest hire CU could make from the coordinator pool. As things stand today, I think he has a slightly lower floor than Bronco, simply because he has never been a HC, but he has a MUCH higher ceiling.

IMO, Grimes checks every box, and if CU administration is going to start taking football seriously, Grimes has a chance to make CU a perennial 8-9 win program with 10 wins being very much in the picture most years.
I like Grimes as well and think he could do well in Boulder. But I also think the ceiling you describe for Grimes isn’t far off from what I would view as Bronco’s. Certainly not enough of a difference to say one has a MUCH higher ceiling.

Should be a short interview process. You ask CU for a revision of the transfer requirements for athletics and proof of it in writing. If RG balks for even 3 seconds you thank him for his time, walk out the door, drive up to Nederland and enjoy some Nepalese buffet at Kathmandu.

I like Grimes as well and think he could do well in Boulder. But I also think the ceiling you describe for Grimes isn’t far off from what I would view as Bronco’s. Certainly not enough of a difference to say one has a MUCH higher ceiling.
I think the unknown gives an upside potential, but that potential upside is balanced and even outweighed by a much higher risk of failure.

I'm told many current and former head coaches are passing. Not surprising given the terrible (and mostly accurate) assessment that you can't win at CU, without major changes to admissions for players in the transfer portal. It doesn't help that the AD with his big ego is creating cognitive dissonance by telling everyone around him he will hire a great head coach, in spite of a real lack of interest in the job from qualified candidates.

Last edited:
Should be a short interview process. You ask CU for a revision of the transfer requirements for athletics and proof of it in writing. If RG balks for even 3 seconds you thank him for his time, walk out the door, drive up to Nederland and enjoy some Nepalese buffet at Kathmandu.
And then take a post-buffet dump on Phil D’s porch on your way to the airport

I'm told many current and former head coaches are passing. Not surprising given the terrible (and mostly accurate) assessment that you can't win at CU, without major changes to admissions for players in the transfer portal. It doesn't help that the AD with his big ego is creating cognitive dissonance by telling everyone around him he will hire a great head coach, in spite of a real lack of interest in the job.
So Tom Herman isn't coming? I am shocked.

Trying to see the positive in this, if it’s true that multiple candidates are passing on the opportunity, at some point doesn’t PD have to admit that he is the problem?

Reminds me of a situation I experienced earlier in my career. There was a guy who ran an office for one of our competitors. Everybody who ever worked with this guy hated him. Nobody had a single nice thing to say about him. I get a call from a recruiter who is filling a position at this guys company. I say “would I be working for (guy)”? “Yes, he would be your manager.” “I’ll pass. Although I don’t know him personally, I know enough people who do and not one of them has anything other than contempt for him”. “Yeah, I’ve been getting that a lot. Thanks”

Trying to see the positive in this, if it’s true that multiple candidates are passing on the opportunity, at some point doesn’t PD have to admit that he is the problem?

Reminds me of a situation I experienced earlier in my career. There was a guy who ran an office for one of our competitors. Everybody who ever worked with this guy hated him. Nobody had a single nice thing to say about him. I get a call from a recruiter who is filling a position at this guys company. I say “would I be working for (guy)”? “Yes, he would be your manager.” “I’ll pass. Although I don’t know him personally, I know enough people who do and not one of them has anything other than contempt for him”. “Yeah, I’ve been getting that a lot. Thanks”
We will find an underqualified candidate for $20-25MM well before there’s one iota of self reflection

Well, if it hasn't happened yet, it is doubtful it will. Somebody needs to break out the new broom. Paging. Dr. Saliman, Dr. Saliman, please pick up the white courtesy phone....

I'm told many current and former head coaches are passing. Not surprising given the terrible (and mostly accurate) assessment that you can't win at CU, without major changes to admissions for players in the transfer portal. It doesn't help that the AD with his big ego is creating cognitive dissonance by telling everyone around him he will hire a great head coach, in spite of a real lack of interest in the job.
That's the type of thing that could lead to "Mike Sanford has been a head coach at the college level, which is a criterion we had set when we began this process. His performance leading the program at a difficult time as the Interim HC convinced us that the right person for the job was already here. We are thrilled to announce Mike Sanford as the Colorado Head Coach for Football."

Names ??

Reactions: DBT
Kind of goes to Nik's earlier point, the hire is likely going to have to be a guy who is able to do more with less and not be daunted by the magnitude of this rebuild. The typical hot-name candidates are probably not going to be a fit for this gig unless the @manhattanbuff plan is unleashed and Saliman inserts himself more heavily into the hiring process and starts making pretty sweeping changes. Would love to see it, but just feels unrealistic.

Then I will just watch Auburn make an equally or more disappointing hire. Everything is fine.
Large, loyal fan base, High expectations, more than sufficient resources.

And yet disappointing results.

Maybe you and @Liver can do some group therapy together :ROFLMAO:

That's the type of thing that could lead to "Mike Sanford has been a head coach at the college level, which is a criterion we had set when we began this process. His performance leading the program at a difficult time as the Interim HC convinced us that the right person for the job was already here. We are thrilled to announce Mike Sanford as the Colorado Head Coach for Football."

Ban?

Yep, though I don't expect CU to hire Sanford as of right now, but you never know.

Without the necessary institutional changes, I think it's probably more likely CU will find another sucker who wants a big pay increase, but has no idea what he's getting into.

Last edited:
Yep, though I don't expect CU to hire Sanford as of right now, but you never know.

Without the necessary institutional changes, I think it's probably more likely CU will find another sucker who wants a big pay increase, but has no idea what's he's getting into.
Or to cynically double down, what if no institutional changes happen and the guy knows exactly what he's getting into but just wants to bank $8MM - $12MM after 2-3 years of failure. Pretty good chunk of change for a short period of fear and loathing.

Or to cynically double down, what if no institutional changes happen and the guy knows exactly what he's getting into but just wants to bank $8MM - $12MM after 2-3 years of failure. Pretty good chunk of change for a short period of fear and loathing.
I think it's highly doubtful that someone in the coaching profession would have that attitude.

Then again, CU did hire a guy at the end of career who approached it as a lead-in to retirement. So I guess we can't completely discount the possibility of another Fairbanks hire.

I think it's highly doubtful that someone in the coaching profession would have that attitude.

Then again, CU did hire a guy at the end of career who approached it as a lead-in to retirement. So I guess we can't completely discount the possibility of another Fairbanks hire.
[insert: dorrell where you have fairbanks, too] eerily ****ing similar **** ups altho chucky had a way better resume.

NOTHING classier than announcing you are leaving the new england patriots for Colorado WHILE your team is still in the nfl playoffs.

i have multi-era rage with this program.

I sure hope Bronco isn't one of the names who's saying no thanks.
Obviously don’t have the inside scoop 233 seems to have, but I can’t imagine Bronco being scared off by difficulties bringing in transfer portal dudes or lack of a built up NIL framework. Now there might be other deterrents, but not those.

they have about 5 weeks to wow us.

if they **** up this hire, it will be very very very bad for the future of CU football.

Back