What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU Head Coach Search Thread - Primetime

WTF is that all about? Is it the thing about how black folks talk differently among themselves than when around white folks which Deion is trying to address?

I sort of get that.

But if it's about your language and demeanor in a professional setting should be the same as in a personal setting, then Deion is completely out to lunch. If it's this, I worry that he's never had a real job, has no point of reference, and is giving young people horrible advice about keeping it real & being yourself at work.
somebody else sees what I see in Deion as a coach.

I thought he was one of the greatest players of all time.... but I don't want a head coach that behaves like him. He may be a great coach.... but he isnt great at some of the important things that a head coach MUST perform.

Reactions: DBT
Yeah, where was he coaching? Not all places are the same by a long shot.
I was only pointing out that he said "No one gets fired." when in fact, someone DID get fired while he had top ranked recruiting classes and had a winning record EVERY YEAR.

Just the facts ma'am. There was no "Texas" caveat there!

He's the HC at an HBCU that has been trying to get the most talented black players to forego the current elite CFB system, dominated by white coaches and administrators. I'm sure it struck a nerve having a conversation with another black man and then listening to him change the way he speaks, presumably to sound more acceptable to a broader audience.

I do agree with you that it was a dick move, though
If Deion had an issue, he has every right to raise it with the interviewer. Why not just do the interview and address the guy later in private? Why make him look bad on camera? You could see the interviewer was pretty taken aback. Deion was being a dick. And I am a big Deion fan, he was just out of line on that one.

It also took me a minute to realize that was Deion. Someone might want to remind him that he's 55 years old before he gets to Johnny Depp levels of ridiculous.

If Deion had an issue, he has every right to raise it with the interviewer. Why not just do the interview and address the guy later in private? Why make him look bad on camera? You could see the interviewer was pretty taken aback. Deion was being a dick. And I am a big Deion fan, he was just out of line on that one.
I didn’t love that clip either. However, I don’t think that was a live interview but I could be wrong.

I also don’t think he was saying not to act professionally, but was criticizing his adjustment into his broadcasters voice. In other words, you can speak correctly and clearly without changing your whole voice. The parallel I would draw is a southern man speaking with a southern dialect before the camera rolls, and then all of the sudden dropping his natural accent. Are you dropping that accent because you are embarrassed about your roots? Why did you do that? My father in law never worked out of the south because his heavy Georgia drawl would effectively create a glass ceiling for him anywhere else. He was never embarrassed and he was educated at Georgia Tech, but he was certainly aware.

:X3:

I love it when posts go off the rails and the arguments become a complete sideshow of what the point of the thread is.

AllBuffs- thats our mission.
Expressing that im okay with a winning coach who is also an arrogant dick (at times) is far from a sideshow in a coaching search thread but I’ll be sure to check in with the post police next time.

I didn’t love that clip either. However, I don’t think that was a live interview but I could be wrong.

I also don’t think he was saying not to act professionally, but was criticizing his adjustment into his broadcasters voice. In other words, you can speak correctly and clearly without changing your whole voice. The parallel I would draw is a southern man speaking with a southern dialect before the camera rolls, and then all of the sudden dropping his natural accent. Are you dropping that accent because you are embarrassed about your roots? Why did you do that? My father in law never worked out of the south because his heavy Georgia drawl would effectively create a glass ceiling for him anywhere else. He was never embarrassed and he was educated at Georgia Tech, but he was certainly aware.
I hear you. I have no idea if it was live or not, but I see it here on an obscure BBS, for a team on the other side of the country, so it got out. How would the Deion feel if the interviewer told him to start his answers over and "be himself this time". Deion would probably respond with "who do you think you are?" And you know what? He'd be right. Who made Deion the dean of journalism?

Expressing that im okay with a winning coach who is also an arrogant dick (at times) is far from a sideshow in a coaching search thread but I’ll be sure to check in with the post police next time.
I am not sure you even know what you are arguing (or expressing).

I know it will never happen but why not Ed Orgeron ? I suppose he would be a fish out of water in Boulder,
He was in the ear of Chatman last week and I wonder if his ideas were some of the reason why CU's defense was better last Saturday.

Ed would be a national name for sure. Probably a disaster waiting to happen though. It would be rather entertaining for sure.

I hear you. I have no idea if it was live or not, but I see it here on an obscure BBS, for a team on the other side of the country, so it got out. How would the Deion feel if the interviewer told him to start his answers over and "be himself this time". Deion would probably respond with "who do you think you are?" And you know what? He'd be right. Who made Deion the dean of journalism?
Fair enough, I didn’t love that clip as I said. It’s hard to know exactly what transpired beforehand.

Sanders is a straight edge, never even drinks, and to my understanding was really well liked by his peers and coaches all through high school to the NFL. I just don’t think the label of a loose cannon or jerk really applies here.

Like I said, don’t think he’s really in consideration (both sides) for CU, so he wouldn’t even be someone I’d put on a hot board.

Last edited:
Fair enough, I didn’t love that clip as I said. It’s hard to know exactly what transpired beforehand.

Sanders is a straight edge, never even drinks, and to my understanding was really well liked by his peers and coaches all through high school to the NFL. I just don’t think the label of a loose cannon or jerk really applies here.

Like I said, don’t think he’s really in consideration (both sides) for CU, so he wouldn’t even be someone I’d put on a hot board.
I think Deion will be pretty successful, but he strikes me as a southeast kind of guy. He will probably make the jump to the P5 eventually, but my guess is it will be in ACC/SEC country.

And to be clear, I don't think he is generally a jerk or loose cannon, he was just out of line in that instance.

Prime Time and Big Ed aren't walking through that door because...Boulder, Colorado.
But don't tell me a Mike Leach HC, Deion OC and Ed O DC combo would not entertain in Boulder. We could get Pelini to come in and coach LB's. A good time would be had by all.

I know it will never happen but why not Ed Orgeron ? I suppose he would be a fish out of water in Boulder,
He was in the ear of Chatman last week and I wonder if his ideas were some of the reason why CU's defense was better last Saturday.

Ed would be a national name for sure. Probably a disaster waiting to happen though. It would be rather entertaining for sure.
When the personal misconduct of a national champion coach is too much for LSU, he's obviously a great fit for Colorado.

Meh. Most think that RG's last by-the-book FB coach search went relatively well by landing Midnight Mel. It's not illogical to expect that he will do the same this time. Yes, all the contract f*ck-ups that you mention are true . . . but also irrelevant if a good coach is hired.

As for whether RG's hiring of KD has made it more difficult to attract suitable candidates, I have no insight.
Where a highly paid employee makes his or her money is when things become abnormal. Paying a guy $100K a month who panics when the going gets tough is not a good investment for the University of Colorado. I cannot imagine any school that we want to emulate permitting this person the luxury of hiring a third coach.

Thoughts on Kane Wommack at South Alabama? Seems young but did a great job at Indiana under Tom Allen. Defense finished top 50 his first year as DC there and top 25 his second year. Most intriguing thing about him might be his staff.

OC: Major Applewhite (former QB coach at Texas and OC then head coach at Houston). He’s a good recruiter with Texas ties and had arguably more success at Houston as head coach than Dana is now.

DC: Corey Batoon (born in Hawaii and former successful DC at Hawaii so he has ties for Poly recruiting.) Also was assistant AD in charge of recruiting at Ole Miss under Hugh Freeze so he knows how to put together a major recruiting operation. South Alabama defense is impressive this year giving up 21 PPG

Where a highly paid employee makes his or her money is when things become abnormal. Paying a guy $100K a month who panics when the going gets tough is not a good investment for the University of Colorado. I cannot imagine any school that we want to emulate permitting this person the luxury of hiring a third coach.

F*cking up contracts is not the present issue. The present concern is hiring a coach who can build CU football into a winner. Most thought Midnight Mel was that kind of coach (I'm not convinced) and RG made that hire--under the same (lack of) time constraints he now faces. So, I'm not sure where the certainty that he will f*ck it up comes from. I'm not holding a brief for the man, the lack of FB success during his tenure is enough to fire him, imo, I just don't think his past mistakes necessarily mean he will get this hire wrong--since he seemed to oversee a reasonable search the last time we fired a coach mid-season.

F*cking up contracts is not the present issue. The present concern is hiring a coach who can build CU football into a winner. Most thought Midnight Mel was that kind of coach (I'm not convinced) and RG made that hire--under the same (lack of) time constraints he now faces. So, I'm not sure where the certainty that he will f*ck it up comes from. I'm not holding a brief for the man, the lack of FB success during his tenure is enough to fire him, imo, I just don't think his past mistakes necessarily mean he will get this hire wrong--since he seemed to oversee a reasonable search the last time we fired a coach mid-season.
I feel like you’re being obtuse for a weird reason. He did not have to panic last time, but did so anyway. His decision-making is flawed to the point where he shouldn’t be permitted to make the coach hiring decision again. Yes, his mistakes occurred in the past. But the Dorrell hire is really a current mistake since the contract remains a major liability for the University of Colorado Athletic Department. If you agree that Rick George should have been fired already, then it is non starter that he should be allowed to hire a coach again.

Why do I think he’ll likely screw this one up? All of the evidence of his work product since Mel Tucker left demonstrates regression. I don’t know why the default assumption of a regressed employee is that he’ll magically perform well again.

Back