What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU vs. UCLA 10/28/23 Game Thread

I think that's a little extreme. One thing everyone seems to discount is the amount of youth we have on this roster, some of which is buried now and will likely end up being major contributors.

Edwards isn't a jag.
Omarion Miller isn't a jag.
Stoutmire has had a couple rough outings but that's not unique to freshmen at his position. I don't think he's a jag.
McNeill and Bishop Thomas have shown flashes and they're sophomore and freshman respectively.

These are just guys I can think of off the top of my head without going down the roster. I think everyone would be shocked at how few of our starters are out of eligibility at the end of this season if they looked. Yeah we need to hit the portal and recruit (particularly in the trenches), but it's ****ing chicken little around here talking like we need a complete roster overhaul again. We still need to develop young guys with talent, put size on them, etc to be a sustainable top tier program. Even the blue bloods have to do that. Pull yourselves together guys.
I don’t use the term JAG to mean terrible. To me it means “serviceable but unspectacular” in most cases.

It means average or not fully developed. I do think the 2023 Buffs have a high percentage of that type of guy.

I think that's a little extreme. One thing everyone seems to discount is the amount of youth we have on this roster, some of which is buried now and will likely end up being major contributors.

Edwards isn't a jag.
Stoutmire has had a couple rough outings but that's not unique to freshmen at his position. I don't think he's a jag.
McNeill and Bishop Thomas have shown flashes and they're sophomore and freshman respectively.

These are just guys I can think of off the top of my head without going down the roster. I think everyone would be shocked at how few of our starters are out of eligibility at the end of this season if they looked. Yeah we need to hit the portal and recruit (particularly in the trenches), but it's ****ing chicken little around here talking like we need a complete roster overhaul again. We still need to develop young guys with talent, put size on them, etc to be a sustainable top tier program. Even the blue bloods have to do that. Pull yourselves together guys.
I feel like I was pretty specific in saying there are obviously young guys who can and will develop into high level players. There are a number of upper classmen and grad transfer types who are JAGs though. We have 2 special players who are regular starters and a few other high level P5 starters. Rest are JAGs and young guys with high upside potential.

I feel like I was pretty specific in saying there are obviously young guys who can and will develop into high level players. There are a number of upper classmen and grad transfer types who are JAGs though. We have 2 special players who are regular starters and a few other high level P5 starters. Rest are JAGs and young guys with high upside potential.
How much does the offensive line make the skill guys look worse though?

What you think Jimmy's stats would look like if SS had time to throw.

Edwards isn't a jag.

this roster isnt like last year. when CP says we need 7-10 guys, i absolutely believe it. and Aaron Butler and the 2025 early commits make me feel like we're going to change the trajectory because he knows we need big bodies who can run on both lines. King on the edge. A couple of tackles and a mauler at guard will completely change this program. CP wont be able to sell them on "I was the best to play your position" but he can sell them on how he has QBs and skill players who will make sure they play in the CFP. I dont like that we're a borderline team this year but I f***ing believe we will be a great team within 3 years.

How much does the offensive line make the skill guys look worse though?

What you think Jimmy's stats would look like if SS had time to throw.
Shedeur is 3rd in the country in passing yards and 4th in passing TDs. Putting up stats in the offense isn’t reliant on a good OL.

I’m more talking about the eye test with Jimmy. Inconsistent hands, not special with the ball, route running is mediocre, doesn’t get open consistently and isn’t great in contested catch situations.

Shedeur is 3rd in the country in passing yards and 4th in passing TDs. Putting up stats in the offense isn’t reliant on a good OL.

I’m more talking about the eye test with Jimmy. Inconsistent hands, not special with the ball, route running is mediocre, doesn’t get open consistently and isn’t great in contested catch situations.
He's also what I assume is the shortest YPC in the country. We throw a TON of passes at or behind the LOS to make up for the blocking.

When SS has had time, both Jimmy and Xavier have gotten open.

He's also what I assume is the shortest YPC in the country. We throw a TON of passes at or behind the LOS to make up for the blocking.

When SS has had time, both Jimmy and Xavier have gotten open.
Weaver gets open regardless. 18th in the country in yards and 13 ypc.

It’s just my opinion that Horn would dominate at the G5 level, but is just a guy at this level.

I think that's the big question, no?

Coach Prime seems really gifted in closing elite receivers and defensive backs, but perhaps less so on the defensive line (and linebackers) and the offensive line.

Is that a fair observation, and if so, why?
I’m guessing just being able to relate. I think what makes the skill guys tick may be different than the OL guys (and their parents). And I can’t remember if he actually had his OL recruiter in place soon enough.

Are we ever going to be a player again with the Poly community?
I think Prime will get the NIL he needs to get anyone. I bet they are working on a specific package for Seaton and will land him
I love the Condo idea, and that could be worked on with a private investor/booster if the school will give them some land to lease
Don't forget parking, since our guys cannot figure that out
Not in the Big XII

Edwards isn't a jag. - as a RB, yes he is
Omarion Miller isn't a jag. - has too many wtf moments at this point
Stoutmire has had a couple rough outings but that's not unique to freshmen at his position. - definition of JAG (at this point)I don't think he's a jag.
McNeill and Bishop Thomas have shown flashes and they're sophomore and freshman respectively. - again, definition of JAG (at this point)
these aren’t players like SS or TH right now.

Is the oline bad?…yes it is…however I dont feel like they are being coached either..
why did we run off some of last years starters?…the oline of last year is the one group that is light years ahead of this years edition…

OLine consistency and coaching is a problem. I believe we have enough talent to survive, but so many mistakes and lack of confidence seems to be an issue. Coach 'em up and stop rotating in guys.

Jata turning towards the Guard while he has a DE and OLB lined up on his outside is a simple read that he blew. I believe Jata is physically talented enough to be a serviceable Tackle, but what did his preparation look like the last two weeks?!?

I'm hoping Prime brings in some help this week, bring in Jesse Sapolu and get Nate Newton back in the building. Put the pressure on BOB

Husband (who - before he left the country last week - told me he didn't want to know anything about the game): "Should I watch the game?"

Me (who knew they lost, but it wasn't a blowout and had a couple of decent plays from guys like Travis): "Yeah, sure."

Husband (halfway through the recording, with the benefit of FFing through the rough parts): "Why did you tell me to watch this? They look terrible!"

Me: "You told me you didn't want to know anything."

Husband: "Do they lose?"

Me: "Yes. But only by 12."

Husband: "Why did you tell me to watch it?! I only wanted to watch if they won!"

Me: "So you wanted me to spoil it for you? Or not?"

Husband: turns off game and walks off

Me:
Confused Dogs GIF by MOODMAN
This could have just as easily gone in the Pillow Talk thread.

His statement does take responsibility. They didn't do a good job with signing players.

That's just being honest.
A coach is literally someone who is supposed to "coach" and develop players. Shirking that responsibility entirely and blaming it on ****ty recruiting, even if it's accurate and also an indictment of you, is a really dumb way to go about accepting responsibility.

In CU's case, the talent is clearly lacking on the OL, but coaching is/was the obvious glaring issue and that wasn't really mentioned. For once, I would just like to see Prime bring the same kind of energy toward the coaches the same way he does the players in the media.

A coach is literally someone who is supposed to "coach" and develop players. Shirking that responsibility entirely and blaming it on ****ty recruiting, even if it's accurate and also an indictment of you, is a really dumb way to go about accepting responsibility.

In CU's case, the talent is clearly lacking on the OL, but coaching is/was the obvious glaring issue and that wasn't really mentioned. For once, I would just like to see Prime bring the same kind of energy toward the coaches the same way he does the players in the media.
agree!..you coach who you have!…the oline talent is underwhelming we all know that but the coaching has been even worse…and the play calling hasnt helped the oline at all

Has it mentioned that Narduzzi was the coach that critiqued Coach Prime's portal activity and essentially told him it was his responsibility to coach up the players he had?

His counting stats are good. But he’s 7th in P12 for QBR. His efficiency is not good.

What I don't understand with CU is they know they have huge issues with the O line, yet they never seem to try anything different with formations. Maybe instead of 4 wide every play we try 3 wide and have an extra blocker in? Maybe some pre-snap motion to force the D to not just sit in the starting blocks to run past the O line?

That said I have never seen an O line play as bad and CU did. There were multiple pass plays were O line never touched the guy lined up on the other side of the ball. I don't know how you fix blocking, when the O line appears to be incapable of even making contact with the defender.

Talent acquisition is most of the job. Nobody wins by coaching up crappy talent.

Shouldn't be but shocked by social media being stupid enough to say they deserved it for bringing it with them to the game.

Too bad it's in CA, likely will never hear more about it.

Any one see the players had their **** stolen from the locker room?

unfortunate, but given the well publicized tendency of our team to flash very expensive jewelry, not surprising either. figure a bunch of college kids have access to that room. if I had a $75k watch, I wouldn't leave it in an unguarded locker, especially if it was generally known I always took the watch to games.

unfortunate, but given the well publicized tendency of our team to flash very expensive jewelry, not surprising either. figure a bunch of college kids have access to that room. if I had a $75k watch, I wouldn't leave it in an unguarded locker, especially if it was generally known I always took the watch to games.
You honestly think college kids have access to football locker rooms? They don't...nor was it unguarded based on the # of security that was there compared to normal.

Back