What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official CU vs. UCLA 10/28/23 Game Thread

You honestly think college kids have access to football locker rooms? They don't...nor was it unguarded based on the # of security that was there compared to normal.
yes, I'd be very surprised if there weren't some college students with jobs at the stadium giving them access.

You can cover for a lack of talent at some positions but you can't cover for a lack of talent on the OL, opponents have figured out that our weakness is in the 5 guys who are supposed to block.

While none of us would mind seeing some 5* type guys come in the good news is that we don't have to have those. What we need is to be able to send 5 guys out there who are P5 level players. They don't have to be able to pass block for 7 seconds, SS with 3-4 seconds can find a place to go with the ball or move away from pressure. What he can't do is function when the pass rushers are getting to him as soon as he gets the ball.

Same thing in the run game, We don't need to see holes big enough to drive a truck through, we do need to consistently give our RBs room to keep the offense on schedule, a regular 3-5 yards per carry with enough longer gains to keep defenses honest.

It would be great to dominate on the LOS but we have enough talented skill position guys that even being consistently competent would allow us to be successful.

Unfortunately we aren't even close to that right now. We need to get good enough before worrying about being great.
I agree completely

Watched the game late last night.

Not sure why the run game isn’t utilized to set up the pass game/play action/whatever RPO is used by Lewis? After the first couple Off. drives, the UCLA defensive front just went berserker mode and went through the O-line like a tissue paper banner. The line has absolutely NO clue on who to block and when to block. Just like Matt McC pointed out…simple blocking assignments and calls could have been made to possibly shore up the massacre of that position group last night. Unbelievable. Clearly this is fault on both sides -players and coaches. BoB has disappeared from appearances in videos and such, since around the CSU or Oregon game…not sure if that is telling? If whatever scheme or such ids being called and the player clearly sees that it ain’t working, go rogue and humor one of the three Defensive front that are abusing your QB and keep them doing so. Those twins were having a ball going after Shedeur. I would have been completely embarrassed and pissed off enough to put both of those guys into the ground.

So, Prime lands the best available RB in the portal, and uses him sparingly and on ST? I’m not sure if it’s a mental/hesitancy thing from being injured, or is there a Hagan like hierarchy in the room with coach flea? It seemed like when Wilkerson and Alton got some touches later in the game, they gained decent yardage. It’s strange to continue to see Edwards being utilized like he’s a 6’0” 215 lb back that can truck defenders or plow through the LoS, or continue to use five wide sets that set up mayhem for Shedeur to deal with.

The defensive, other than getting no consistent pressure on the QB, played very well. Not sure why Woods is being played completely out of his wheel house? Sure, he is a good hitter. He doesn’t seem to be playing with the same motor as he did last season. If they are going to play him in a different role, maybe use him in a way similar to how Ryan Moeller (Buff Backer) or Davion Taylor (Star) were used years ago. No way a 4.9 40 QB should be clearing 12 yards, freely, on a third and 11.

Hunter was an absolute ninja last night. Coming out of nowhere to make to boss INT’s. Just way too good to not be on the field. Shilo is a hitter, but going for crushing body shots will catch up to him fast (especially in what’s left of the PAC12).

Not sure what’s up with the LB room? Probably the least featured and underwhelming position group. It’s like they are just…there…taking up space. Whatever happened to Ham, and the difference makers picked up from the portal?

Is Cormani on a milk carton in the greater front range area? At this point, he is giving me Ashaad Clayton vibes…he’s bought in, then he isn’t happy and missing/late to meetings and practice. Maybe he came into Boulder with a change of heart, and is waiting for the right opportunity to portal out?

For coaching, it’s been pretty ****ing underwhelming. As soon as tape became available on the Buffs, it’s been steadily getting more difficult for the offense to do anything. Is Sean Lewis the answer? Would the offense benefit with a new line coach, and to drop any favoritism in favor of winning? Is Charles Kelly the guy for defense?

I has some “what if” scenarios in my head…one that stuck out was what if Prime went after Brennan Marion before another P5 school snatches him up…and some how convinced Chris Petersen to come aboard as an offensive assistant/analyst to help Marion out for a couple years? Likelihood is zero, but it’s be cool…
I love Coach Matt McChesney but I have to take issue with his call on that play. They could have been coached what to do correctly but if I am getting my ass kicked, I am not always in that mental headspace. If they did this on the first drive, I would get it. But they were getting their asses kicked by this point and I just don't know if mentally, they had anything left even at that stage.

People like to blame coaches or trainers but sometimes, your message don't hit the same once they get hit in the mouth, especially when getting dominated like they did. I don't think it's due to bad coaching or a lack of effort. Just not being of the quality needed to perform at this level

I know all of us giving OB a bad time including me but they could have been perfectly coached but they don't have the talent to be going up against a force as good as the Bruins were and look, everyone has struggled against them in terms of OLs, but with our with our passing scheme, it just looked like Martin v. Tommy Hearns

Last edited:
For those questioning the portal for OL, look what Miami did. Two of them on the team of the week for the portal

I don't think anyone is questioning whether there are quality OL to be had in the portal. I think people are questioning whether CU can actually land any of them with a D2 OL coach and an NIL program that isn't going to outbid Miami, for example.

I love Coach Matt McChesney but I have to take issue with his call on that play. They could have been coached what to do correctly but if I am getting my ass kicked, I am not always in that mental headspace. If they did this on the first drive, I would get it. But they were getting their asses kicked by this point and I just don't know if mentally, they had anything left even at that stage.

People like to blame coaches or trainers but sometimes, your message don't hit the same once they get hit in the mouth, especially when getting dominated like they did. I don't think it's due to bad coaching or a lack of effort. Just not being of the quality needed to perform at this level

I know all of us giving OB a bad time including me but they could have been perfectly coached but they don't have the talent to be going up against a force as good as the Bruins were and look, everyone has struggled against them in terms of OLs, but with our with our passing scheme, it just looked like Martin v. Tommy Hearns
A great take #1.

I think I overestimated what overhauling the roster could do by going through the portal. I thought they could just jump in and win and compete. The last few weeks just shows that we’ve got a long way to go to recruit the best players.

Also, is Prime going to cut coaches and replace them? Or stick by them and give more time?
When like 75% of incoming transfers are skill players and 4 are OL.…? Yeah. Thats not gonna work.

Someone said somewhere the best portal OL players last year all went to schools where they got paid by the NIL.

Were three wins better than last years bottom and we have guys that can recruit. Id say let it ride for a couple of cycles to see where we are.

I have lots of Oregon in my wifes family. Despite great recruiting class after class theyve never had an OL that can go up against an SEC school and win.

When like 75% of incoming transfers are skill players and 4 are OL.…? Yeah. Thats not gonna work.

Someone said somewhere the best portal OL players last year all went to schools where they got paid by the NIL.

Were three wins better than last years bottom and we have guys that can recruit. Id say let it ride for a couple of cycles to see where we are.

I have lots of Oregon in my wifes family. Despite great recruiting class after class theyve never had an OL that can go up against an SEC school and win.
A more close look at the board:

OL/DL have basically zero chance at the CP-type NIL he was selling last year. Those go to breakout skill players.

OL/DL need hard cash money to commit and we didn’t have it, but Oregon did. Look what they have bought themselves.

This absolutely has to be the priority this recruiting cycle - both donations and recruiting focus. By the way, 5430 doesn’t yet to appear to have the recurring donation live, but I just made a second donation.

Every single $ counts.

A more close look at the board:

OL/DL have basically zero chance at the CP-type NIL he was selling last year. Those go to breakout skill players.

OL/DL need hard cash money to commit and we didn’t have it, but Oregon did. Look what they have bought themselves.

This absolutely has to be the priority this recruiting cycle - both donations and recruiting focus. By the way, 5430 doesn’t yet to appear to have the recurring donation live, but I just made a second donation.

Every single $ counts.
I mean, how hard is it for Boulder Ram or McCaddon Buick to give all the OLinemen cars? There’s only like 8 dudes.

Apparently UCLA players had their stuff stolen, too?

Forgot that UCLA plays in a dilapidated ****hole 20 miles from their campus.

I misread. 20 miles. Long ass drive. Westwood NIMBY a tale as old as time….

Is that it? I always wondered why UCLA didn't have an on campus stadium. USC is basically next door to the Coliseum, so that never confused me. The fact that UCLA has had to schlep it for their home football games has.

possibly. Part of UCLA’s problem was that they wanted to do some of the project off campus.

Got it. I'm super negative about how Boulder interacts with CU. The university has the right to do whatever they want on their land, but they bend over backwards for the city when it comes to development. Even so, it's not good enough for the residents. I can only imagine if CU asked the city to help with anything, especially anything athletics related.

Back