What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official D coordinator search thread (DJ Eliot hired?)

So, Glenn Spencer, Okie St DC and Mac are good buddies. Would Spencer be a possibility? Although I'd advise against it if they want to remain good buddies.

So, Glenn Spencer, Okie St DC and Mac are good buddies. Would Spencer be a possibility? Although I'd advise against it if they want to remain good buddies.

Glenn Spencer has been the defensive coordinator since 2013. Here is how his team finished:

2013: 53rd in total defense, 19th in scoring defense
2014: 93rd in total defense, 94th in scoring defense
2015: 100th in total defense, 88th in scoring defense
2016: 109th in total defense, 65th in scoring defense

Glenn Spencer has been the defensive coordinator since 2013. Here is how his team finished:

Well that sucks! I don't want him!

When a dozen teams were running hurry up speed offenses that scored or otherwise got off the field quickly, having a poorly ranked defense coupled with such an offense may have been excusable. But now that half the country is running similar offenses, the rankings are pretty solid indicator.

I like the idea of Tim DeReuyter (sp?) cuz he'd have a ton of recruiting contacts, but I also like the idea of Joe Tumpkin for consistency and he gets what we try to do defensively.

My faves are Rodgers and DeRuyter. I kind of find myself hoping that the Jets lose a low scoring game every week so that Rodgers becomes available after performing very well.

I thought Seto was your guy.

My concern is that he's been in Carroll's 4-3 under system for a long time now. We're not changing systems, so he'd have to change. That's why I put him behind Rodgers and DeRuyter, who are both 3-4 guys. What I'm liking about Rodgers is that he's doing some hybrid stuff based on personnel where he is running both 1-gap and 2-gap 3-4. CU also did a lot of that this year, particularly when we saw Tupou leave the field and we'd put in a smaller DL that would 1-gap to try to get more pressure. Rodgers is the most natural fit due to the history with MacIntyre and sharing this defensive philosophy.

My concern is that he's been in Carroll's 4-3 under system for a long time now. We're not changing systems, so he'd have to change. That's why I put him behind Rodgers and DeRuyter, who are both 3-4 guys. What I'm liking about Rodgers is that he's doing some hybrid stuff based on personnel where he is running both 1-gap and 2-gap 3-4. CU also did a lot of that this year, particularly when we saw Tupou leave the field and we'd put in a smaller DL that would 1-gap to try to get more pressure. Rodgers is the most natural fit due to the history with MacIntyre and sharing this defensive philosophy.

Jets D has been good too. That offense is about as dysfunctional as they get though. Have put the defense in a lot of bad spots.

Did RG contact you about a potential advisor to the DC position yet?

I emailed him that you might consider an unpaid position, and he appeared to be interested.

(he doesn't know about the whole embree thing, so keep that under wraps...)

We need someone who is strong w our modified 3-4. Seems a lot teams run 4-3. I think it was meantioned earlier that Mac knew what he wanted scheme wise and found the right guy...I think that'll be the criteria again.

Cabral is a retired employee in the state of Colorado and is collecting pension. He won't be coming back to work here.

I don't want him back, like the guy but no thanks. An advisor role, I'd be cool with. How the hell old is he now?

Pelini is an intriguing option... Base salary at YSU is under $225K, so money shouldn't be an obstacle. Proven DC and would keep our defense aggressive and should be able to recruit really well (the players loved the guy)...

Not opposed to the idea!

Pelini is an intriguing option... Base salary at YSU is under $225K, so money shouldn't be an obstacle. Proven DC and would keep our defense aggressive and should be able to recruit really well (the players loved the guy)...

Not opposed to the idea!
Can't see Mac and him getting along.

Back