What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Game Thread: #7 UofA at CU (BLACKOUT GAME)

Will be good to see Ski go. Making a 1/3 of your shots every game is a recipe for a loss. This team is bad. Needs a new attitude.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Stick to football, dude. If you think Ski is the problem with this team just wait until next year.

It'll be XJ. We'll continue to ignore the walking turnover machine in the backcourt and move on to someone else. It's pretty predictable. In 2 years it will be DT.

And probably deserved. The dude should be the scapegoat for this season if what I'm hearing is true.

It's comical on here to see how many posters deflect heat off Ski. It's a team game, and I've seen some posters that refuse to put anything on him. XJ has been a huge/enormous problem, and obviously Josh's health, Gordons lack of maturity, no pg development, coaching, etc.- but the guard play is awful as a whole. Ski should not be given a pass because it's his senior year, and it's his final year. Look no farther then what Tad says over and over when asked about seniors. He doesn't pull any punches about seniors, and seniors is just another word for Ski. Unless there is some other senior that plays that I'm not seeing on the roster? Maybe Tad is referring to Geoffrey Bates and Kevin Nelson? Be realistic people, stop trying to blame everyone else....blame the team as a whole. Equal parts of blame everywhere at minimum. Why some of you give a senior "shooting" guard shooting .39 pct from the floor and leading the team in turnovers per game a free pass is beyond me. Effort alone doesn't make somebody great....Ben Mills would be in the league if so. I'm not saying don't appreciate his career at CU, but why a senior is given a free pass on this debacle of a season is borderline insane. The only people associated with CU hoops that should be given a pass for this season are the food vendors and other staff working the doors at the CEC.

It's comical on here to see how many posters deflect heat off Ski. It's a team game, and I've seen some posters that refuse to put anything on him. XJ has been a huge/enormous problem, and obviously Josh's health, Gordons lack of maturity, no pg development, coaching, etc.- but the guard play is awful as a whole. Ski should not be given a pass because it's his senior year, and it's his final year. Look no farther then what Tad says over and over when asked about seniors. He doesn't pull any punches about seniors, and seniors is just another word for Ski. Unless there is some other senior that plays that I'm not seeing on the roster? Maybe Tad is referring to Geoffrey Bates and Kevin Nelson? Be realistic people, stop trying to blame everyone else....blame the team as a whole. Equal parts of blame everywhere at minimum. Why some of you give a senior "shooting" guard shooting .39 pct from the floor and leading the team in turnovers per game a free pass is beyond me. Effort alone doesn't make somebody great....Ben Mills would be in the league if so. I'm not saying don't appreciate his career at CU, but why a senior is given a free pass on this debacle of a season is borderline insane. The only people associated with CU hoops that should be given a pass for this season are the food vendors and other staff working the doors at the CEC.
[MENTION=10331]blynch32[/MENTION] -- It's simple. Very easy to forgive a guy making some bad decisions with the basketball when he's the one guy on the court you can look at and know that he's playing with aggression and laying it out there on every possession. If we had a team with that personality, I'd be sweating the issues with Ski's game. As it stands, those issues are the least of the issues with this basketball team.

@blynch32 -- It's simple. Very easy to forgive a guy making some bad decisions with the basketball when he's the one guy on the court you can look at and know that he's playing with aggression and laying it out there on every possession. If we had a team with that personality, I'd be sweating the issues with Ski's game. As it stands, those issues are the least of the issues with this basketball team.

XT plays his ass off, Josh plays his ass off (hurt), Dom has played hard, Tory has played hard, I think even DT has effort. My opinion still is that don't put one player above the team concept and give a free pass because he plays hard. There are enough other guys on this team that are still fighting that aren't getting that same free pass. In college hoops a senior that still plays and is arguably your best player on your team should not be given amnesty for whatever reason. I'm on the opposite side of the fence with Ski, but I understand how valuable it is to have a player make it 4 years and be a contributor all 4 years. I do agree, and stated that this "team" has major issues everywhere.

XT plays his ass off, Josh plays his ass off (hurt), Dom has played hard, Tory has played hard, I think even DT has effort. My opinion still is that don't put one player above the team concept and give a free pass because he plays hard. There are enough other guys on this team that are still fighting that aren't getting that same free pass. In college hoops a senior that still plays and is arguably your best player on your team should not be given amnesty for whatever reason. I'm on the opposite side of the fence with Ski, but I understand how valuable it is to have a player make it 4 years and be a contributor all 4 years. I do agree, and stated that this "team" has major issues everywhere.

You don't see me ripping on any of the guys you mentioned either. Closest I have gotten is with XT because he has become tentative with his shot or with Josh earlier in the year when healthy and I thought he allowed frustration over lack of offensive touches to effect his entire attitude.

fwiw, I had very similar criticisms of Ski the back half of his sophomore year and beginning of his junior year when his shooting slump got into his head and there were games when he didn't even want to come off the bench because he thought it would hurt the team.

As long as guys are aggressive, I'm a soft touch with my criticisms.

@blynch32 -- It's simple. Very easy to forgive a guy making some bad decisions with the basketball when he's the one guy on the court you can look at and know that he's playing with aggression and laying it out there on every possession. If we had a team with that personality, I'd be sweating the issues with Ski's game. As it stands, those issues are the least of the issues with this basketball team.

Totally agree. Of course Ski is going to lead the team in turnovers ... he's the only one aggressive enough to penetrate the lane, which is always clogged because teams know they don't have to defend our perimeter. And how often do you see someone set a quality pick for him, in this pathetic offense Tad runs? He's also the guy who ends up with the ball in his hands with 5 seconds on the shot clock because everyone else was too timid - and untalented - to create some offense. It's really easy to defend guys with 5 seconds on the shot clock ... leading to poor FG% and TOs. As for shooting early in the shot clock ... so what? If it's an open shot, take it. Nobody else will.

Ski is about #7-8 on the list of what's wrong with this team ... just wait until next year. If you think somehow Hopkins, Talton, Fletcher are going magically learn how to score and create over the summer, then you're dusting your kind bud with something special.

You don't see me ripping on any of the guys you mentioned either. Closest I have gotten is with XT because he has become tentative with his shot or with Josh earlier in the year when healthy and I thought he allowed frustration over lack of offensive touches to effect his entire attitude.

fwiw, I had very similar criticisms of Ski the back half of his sophomore year and beginning of his junior year when his shooting slump got into his head and there were games when he didn't even want to come off the bench because he thought it would hurt the team.

As long as guys are aggressive, I'm a soft touch with my criticisms.

Just to clarify....I never said you bashed the others. But enough people on here do bash some of the above mentioned but give some seniors a free pass. I think once you start drifting from blaming/commending as a team, you lose sight of the team. Not "you" specifically, but a large amount of people looking in.

1. You mention his shooting percentage
  • Ski has taken 36.8% of our shots, which is the second highest rate in D1 this season
  • Ski is shooting 35% from 3 while having taken 139 3 point shots, XJ is the second highest at 68
  • Ski is shooting 50% at the rim while shooting 82.1% from the charity stripe
  • Ski is shooting 36.2% from mid-range
  • All of that adds up to Ski having a offensive rating of 103.4, which is a good rating considering how much he is used
2. You mention his turnovers
  • When you normalize his turnover rate, he has committed the second fewest turnovers on the team behind Scott with a rate of 15.4. Other notable players on the team with higher rates: XJ, Hopkins, Gordon, XT...to name a few
  • When you have a guard who handles the ball as much as Ski, there are going to be more turnovers. But when normalized, his rate is not all that high.

[MENTION=10331]blynch32[/MENTION]

sometimes when you only focus on one player during a game his short-comings are more apparent and you lose sight of the good ways in which they help the team. I am guilty of it with Talton and Fletch (especially Talton). If those guys have bad possessions it drives me nuts, but I can ignore Wes playing mediocre last night because he had some absolute monster blocks or XJ playing terrible because I am so focused on waiting for XT and Fletch to make a mistake. so maybe their is a reason everyone is defending him and it is because you are so focused on his mistakes, you miss all the good he does for the team.

A 4 hour practice is not going to fix a culture that has been apparent going back to last season. Tad's anger while real is somewhat mistimed - the problems have been here for awhile so blowing up last night is too little, too late, IMO. Did he miss the first half last week.

Tad needs to work on the culture and see if he has lost this team. He has almost everyone coming back so he needs to be sure they bring the right attitude back with them.

No, it's because I'm not being a dumbass like you

Based off your other post showing a video of one lucky shot a year ago shows your love is centered around a single moment rather than a career. He is a solid player but nothing more than just solid. He needed to be good this year. He is solid and didn't take that next step the Buffs needed.

Based off your other post showing a video of one lucky shot a year ago shows your love is centered around a single moment rather than a career. He is a solid player but nothing more than just solid. He needed to be good this year. He is solid and didn't take that next step the Buffs needed.

Dude, just stop...you're embarrassing yourself

How about turning that eye toward some of the other players on this team that have been garbage. Eventually, the stories will come out. There are players on this team that not worthy of calling themselves Buffs this year. Ski is definitely not one of them.

Ski plays to the best of his ability, I'm good with that. Unfortunately, I don't see it with a few guys. All ill say, not naming anyone, you have a responsibility to yourself and your teammates being on a team. That means giving the most of what and who ur. You don't do that, you are selling out yourself and the team. Blink and it's over, some guys need to think about that. They will regret it.

Did you see them calling out fans on twitter who called them out yesterday? CUnit is going to **** without my class leading it.

That was me. IF they were half as passionate about creating a good home court advantage as they are about defending themselves on Twitter, I wouldn't have said anything.

Why does there have to be student section leadership/branding at all? We don't need people dressing up like they're going trick-or-treating, handing out newspapers before games (how original), or leading the rest of the students in stupid songs while the other team shoot free throws. There are few things in sports I find more annoying then the modern day college basketball student section. They're obnoxiously corny and void of anything unique, every school just copies every other school. If you're a student go to the games, wear CU clothing, make some noise, hurl a few obscenities at the other team, and have a good time; that's all that's needed. The hokey choreographed dog and pony show and the section branding is just stupid and unnecessary.

Unrelated complaint: That douchebag "emcee" (who I also can't stand) acknowledging the Arizona fan's chant was beyond embarrassing.

Unrelated complaint: That douchebag "emcee" (who I also can't stand) acknowledging the Arizona fan's chant was beyond embarrassing.

You just got positive rep from me. I can't stand that guy. We had DJ Whateverhisnameis for a few games and he was great. Then they brought that guy back and ruined it again.

You just got positive rep from me. I can't stand that guy. We had DJ Whateverhisnameis for a few games and he was great. Then they brought that guy back and ruined it again.
DJ Bedz. He does nuggets games and there have been nuggets home games during our last couple home games. The guy that has done the last couple should be the PA announcer not the emcee

DJ Bedz. He does nuggets games and there have been nuggets home games during our last couple home games. The guy that has done the last couple should be the PA announcer not the emcee

I don't even think he should be PA.

I liked DJ Bedz. He was solid in that role.

went to this game with Mrs. Hokiehead. Yesterday, she was talking to a co-worker who went to the Nuggets/Jazz game last Friday. The co-worker was complaining that the Nuggs game wasn't competitive, the players didn't look like they wanted to be there and the final score left everyone disappointed.

Mrs. H's response was "hokiehead and I went to a great game at CU".

got me thinking -- this was a great game. I probably enjoyed the entire experience more than any other game I attended this year.

And, while I got my tix free from [MENTION=6102]Eggon[/MENTION] (thanks again), even if I paid full face value it would've been a lot less expensive than the Nuggets games, never mind parking costs.

OK, enough of this thread. I'm ready to start prepping for the UW game.

Back