What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Game Thread -- Colorado at Cal

Thank god that's over with. Woof. Let's see how this group responds to a little adversity. An NCAA Tournament team responds to this by going out and getting a W at Stanford.

Seems like Josh could've used some help from Wes and it didn't seem like Wes was really that involved. But I miss a lot, especially when I'm streaming it and can't do replays.

I guess if it's any consolation, Cal was frankly more talented than #5 UVA despite losing in OT.
And that's road game for them. They will be legitimate top 15 team if they can keep on playing like this.

I'm interested in how Tad would use King down the road. His handling is awful and doesn't do inside out well. But, he doesn't give a **** about the atmosphere and won't be intimidated by any adversary. He will be a interesting weapon if using properly. Unfortunately he did more harm to us today.

I'm done with Fletcher. He is not himself when it comes to high level game. At least Scott can still draw fouls. He can't do anything.

Seems like Josh could've used some help from Wes and it didn't seem like Wes was really that involved. But I miss a lot, especially when I'm streaming it and can't do replays.

To be fair, Wes was really aggressive to start the game, he couldn't get anything to fall, but he was the only one aggressive early.

Cal allows a better percentage on 3's than 2's & we're a top 20 team from deep. So, naturally we hardly attempt any 3's & instead try to force it down the throat of a top 5 2p% defense. WTF, Tad Boyle.

Cal allows a better percentage on 3's than 2's & we're a top 20 team from deep. So, naturally we hardly attempt any 3's & instead try to force it down the throat of a top 5 2p% defense. WTF, Tad Boyle.
I think a clue may be what Tad said prior to the game. He talked about how we build success from downtown by going inside to Josh. I think the plan might have been to get Josh going inside to force them to collapse in to guard him then dish it out. But we couldn't get anything going inside and they played really aggressive D at the arc.

I think a clue may be what Tad said prior to the game. He talked about how we build success from downtown by going inside to Josh. I think the plan might have been to get Josh going inside to force them to collapse in to guard him then dish it out. But we couldn't get anything going inside and they played really aggressive D at the arc.

Obviously, we want to play inside-out but we forgot the outside part of the equation. We just kept forcing it inside against an elite rim protecting team.

Obviously, we want to play inside-out but we forgot the outside part of the equation. We just kept forcing it inside against an elite rim protecting team.

Also, Cuonzo went with a weird starting lineup and was playing a twin towers a lot tonight. CU should have been shooting 3 pointers instead of trying to post up into that.

This game exposed us. We are soft on the offensive end. No one goes up strong except Miller. Josh Scott is not aggressive at all. And as much as I like him, Collier is a liability. Our team will only be able to go as far as our point guard can take us in PAC 12 play. Dom is not a take charge kind of point guard. He is terrible defending opposing guards which is why he spends time on the pine in foul trouble. We have lacked a true point guard since Spencer. I'd like to see what we can do with White as the point guard next year. We need a playmaker there.

Fletcher reminds me of Hopkins, tons of potential, huge letdown because they are not developing enough to be a serious contributor when on the floor. If Fletch plays like this the rest of the season, then it is time for him to transfer and move on. Tad has missed on recruiting. Those Cali freshmen looked the part. Brown and Rabb are the real deal. We keep hoping our guys can come around. We need some bigs for the future.

Also, please do not put Talton, Akalzali, and Fletcher on the court together. That is a bad recipe. King and Fortune can not be off the court at the same time.

Tonight was just plain ugly. Sunday may be as well. Stanford at home is tough.

This game exposed us. We are soft on the offensive end. No one goes up strong except Miller. Josh Scott is not aggressive at all. And as much as I like him, Collier is a liability. Our team will only be able to go as far as our point guard can take us in PAC 12 play. Dom is not a take charge kind of point guard. He is terrible defending opposing guards which is why he spends time on the pine in foul trouble. We have lacked a true point guard since Spencer. I'd like to see what we can do with White as the point guard next year. We need a playmaker there.

Fletcher reminds me of Hopkins, tons of potential, huge letdown because they are not developing enough to be a serious contributor when on the floor. If Fletch plays like this the rest of the season, then it is time for him to transfer and move on. Tad has missed on recruiting. Those Cali freshmen looked the part. Brown and Rabb are the real deal. We keep hoping our guys can come around. We need some bigs for the future.

Also, please do not put Talton, Akalzali, and Fletcher on the court together. That is a bad recipe. King and Fortune can not be off the court at the same time.

Tonight was just plain ugly. Sunday may be as well. Stanford at home is tough.

Pretty much agrees on everything except for Collier. He needs to be stronger and more aggressive, but he is better than our other guards defense wise. If you want to talk about liability, look no further than Talton.

This team is definitely not as good as some people here think. But they should still dance when all is said and done. If not, that's a coach failure to me.

truth is that this team does not have a real PG and Scott has failed against every decent team he has played against this year, ISU, SMU and now Cal. XJ coming back will not fix the teams problem. Lucky to get to nine wins in conference play, more like seven.

I guess if it's any consolation, Cal was frankly more talented than #5 UVA despite losing in OT.

This is why I wasn't upset last night. First conference road game against a team with that kind of talent and hasn't lost at home yet. An L was expected. Tomorrow is a winnable conference road game, and a better indicator as to what kind of team we have.

This is why I wasn't upset last night. First conference road game against a team with that kind of talent and hasn't lost at home yet. An L was expected. Tomorrow is a winnable conference road game, and a better indicator as to what kind of team we have.

A seventh place spot in the P12 is also expected. Last night's performance did little to dispel that notion.

Cal made a statement to the conference that Haas Pavillion is Bear territory.

Yes it was ugly but let's not overreact. Cal's height/length stymied inside game and we couldn't hit anything from anywhere. Game against 'Furd will be key.

Yes it was ugly but let's not overreact. Cal's height/length stymied inside game and we couldn't hit anything from anywhere. Game against 'Furd will be key.
Pretty typical for fans to overreact. We aren't nearly as bad as we looked last night. Most teams, even good teams, have games like this one.

Pretty typical for fans to overreact. We aren't nearly as bad as we looked last night. Most teams, even good teams, have games like this one.
Yes, I don't believe anyone thought we'd go undefeated in the conference, and this was an obvious L. Stanford is one that we need to win if we hope to get 11-13 conference wins.

Yep really need that one badly. I watched them once this year, wasn't that impressed.

Fletcher needs to start playing like he did at the end of the season last year. Wes and fortune need to be more consistent.

Its one game.

Been a couple of years since I did one of these, always kind of interesting to see this breakdown.

Screen Shot 2016-01-02 at 3.13.52 PM.png

Also, back to my pre-game worry of CU settling for 2pt jumpers....

CU took 57.6% of their shots last night as 2pt jumpers where they shot 23.7%. Josh took 16 FG attempts, only 4 were at the rim where he made 2 (neither of those were assisted on).

We played ugly but UCLA and Utah lost to inferior opponents on the road last night as well. It just goes to show how tough it is to win road games and also how deep the Pac-12 is this year. Not time to hit the panic button, let's see how the Stanford game plays out.

We played ugly but UCLA and Utah lost to inferior opponents on the road last night as well. It just goes to show how tough it is to win road games and also how deep the Pac-12 is this year. Not time to hit the panic button, let's see how the Stanford game plays out.

there was a discussion about this on twitter last night. Road Conference win % is 38%

My takes on the debacle last night.

Cal very specifically focused their perimeter defense on taking away the 3 pointer. They focused on shutting down Jelly inside. This was not by chance. They essentially said to Cu, your wings will have to drive to the rim or pull up short and make mid-range jumpers to beat us. Obviously we could not execute.

It is not as simple as dumb ol Tad telling our team to not shoot 3 pointers. You know the other team has a coach too. He may have noticed that CU was killing it lately from 3 pt. range and decided to take that away at the expense of giving up the dribble-drive. He also may have known that he had 3 bigs(15 fouls) to run aggressively at Jelly down low without committing to the double-team. I think Okorroh and Rooks both fouled out but by then the game was over.

Poor GMFK has developed a bad habit of finishing soft, but then Cal's NBA caliber athletes will do that to a lot of players.

Well, now I see why some of you call Josh Scott "Jelly". Last night he played like his spine was made of it. He made Kingsley Okorroh look like Moses Malone. Of the 3 or 4 potential NBA draft picks playing for Cal he is most definitely not one of them. I'm not saying Scott dogged it. I just don't think he's very good against good competition. However, I did like the adjustment where we pulled Scott out to the elbow and turned him to face the basket allowing him to drive. He is way more effective against true 5's when he does that. JScott should not try to post up most P12 5's. He is physically over-matched by most.

Dom Collier is a true point guard. I think what some are wishing for is an elite true point guard. You know somebody that can play in the NBA like Spencer. Dom and AK are far better than what we've seen at any point(pun intended) since Spencer went down.

Cal, Az, and UCLA have better talent than the other teams in this league and I think that will play out. I did not expect to win the game last night. I do expect to win on Sunday.

...Not time to hit the panic button, let's see how the Stanford game plays out.
Are you suggesting a loss at Stanford will make it time to panic?

My take is that we've got a pretty good team, not a great team, and finishing in the upper half of the P12 (hopefully with an NCAA bid) will make it a successful season. Anything better is bonus. We need to sweep home games and win 2-3 road games to get there with an 11-7 or 12-6 conference record. Stanford is a great chance to get the first of those road wins, but a loss is not a disaster, provided we come back strong at home before setting out again.

Now a couple of losses at home - or a loss at home vs a mediocre team -then would be time to panic.

My take is that we've got a pretty good team, not a great team, and finishing in the upper half of the P12 (hopefully with an NCAA bid) will make it a successful season. Anything better is bonus. We need to sweep home games and win 2-3 road games to get there with an 11-7 or 12-6 conference record. Stanford is a great chance to get the first of those road wins, but a loss is not a disaster, provided we come back strong at home before setting out again.

Now a couple of losses at home - or a loss at home vs a mediocre team -then would be time to panic.

A loss might not be a "disaster" given that we've got 16 games left, but I can guarantee you we won't be going 12-6 (and likely we don't make 11-7) if we lose at Stanford. Why? Because we're going to drop at least 1 home game, and probably 2 (Arizona and Cal being prime candidates). I struggle to see many winnable road games. Wazzu should be a W, Washington and Oregon State are possibilities...I don't see much else.

My comment was aimed at some of the posters who seemed to be hitting the panic button after Cal dismantled the Buffs. Cal is a very good team with NBA talent and they are going to embarrass a lot of Pac-12 teams at home this year. A road loss to Stanford isn't the end of the world but it would force Buff fans to recalibrate the expectations we had coming into conference play.

Back