What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Game Thread: MBB vs Cal State Bakersfield

excellent post goose - ymssr

i don't think anybody has mentioned free throws yet. 22-26, 84.6%, made a big difference last night.

and what happened on the defensive glass? cal st got 17 off rebounds (44%)? Did CU forgot how to box out?

excellent post goose - ymssr

i don't think anybody has mentioned free throws yet. 22-26, 84.6%, made a big difference last night.

and what happened on the defensive glass? cal st got 17 off rebounds (44%)? Did CU forgot how to box out?

They would have had to know how to in the first place. That's been something that's been bothering me all season. I have no idea how our numbers aren't lower in that category (right now we're allowing 31.2% when national average is 32.6%).

As for FT's, that one honestly stunned me. Sitting there watching the game, I kept thinking that we were shooting average at best. When I was listening to post-game and heard them say 22-of-26 I was speechless.

This team lacks chemistry and intensity. That points to a lack of senior leadership. The other big issue is that Dre is not always interested. When he is focused, this is a different team.

This team lacks chemistry and intensity. That points to a lack of senior leadership. The other big issue is that Dre is not always interested. When he is focused, this is a different team.
Seems like Dre is the "star" of this team, yet he does not always live up to that billing.

Seems like Dre is the "star" of this team, yet he does not always live up to that billing.

The sooner this team starts taking on the attitude of the freshmen, the sooner they'll start kicking ass.

Team needs to let the Frosh be leaders. They are already doing it to some degree. Once that transition is complete, then Nate and Dufault can slide back into their comfortable roles and hopefully regain some semblance of consistency.

Seems like that is putting a lot on the young'uns. Personally, I'd rather see one of the upperclassmen step up this year, show the frosh how it is done, then pass the torch next year.

Seems like that is putting a lot on the young'uns. Personally, I'd rather see one of the upperclassmen step up this year, show the frosh how it is done, then pass the torch next year.

that would be nice, but our seniors can't take over a game and they can't lead the team. Look what happens when we get down, everyone looks for someone else to carry the team and more often than not it is either Dre or Spencer that do it.

The sooner this team starts taking on the attitude of the freshmen, the sooner they'll start kicking ass.

:nod:

The quotes from The Mayor and Ski after the Wyoming game were telling. They were embarrassed by that performance and took it personally. They vowed that it was a performance they would never forget because the thought of it happening again makes them sick. Nate, on the other hand, said he wanted to put it out of his mind and move on to the next game.

Both schools of thought on dealing with losses have some merit, but the way the freshmen are is much more in line with how I think. You don't dwell. You focus on the task at hand. But you also take it personally when you and/or your teammates have a bad stretch in a game or lose a game because you didn't care enough at the time. That's intolerable. It's not like we're talking about a bad shooting night or simply being overmatched.

:nod:

The quotes from The Mayor and Ski after the Wyoming game were telling. They were embarrassed by that performance and took it personally. They vowed that it was a performance they would never forget because the thought of it happening again makes them sick. Nate, on the other hand, said he wanted to put it out of his mind and move on to the next game.

Both schools of thought on dealing with losses have some merit, but the way the freshmen are is much more in line with how I think. You don't dwell. You focus on the task at hand. But you also take it personally when you and/or your teammates have a bad stretch in a game or lose a game because you didn't care enough at the time. That's intolerable. It's not like we're talking about a bad shooting night or simply being overmatched.

don't forget Dre after the CSU loss, he was really disappointed in himself after that one. We need more guys like those 3.

Tomlinson and Dufault are 1/3 of the way through their senior seasons. If they were going to step up and provide leadership, we likely would have seen signs of it already. It's not ideal, but it's clear that the frosh have to be leaders. It just isn't going to come from anywhere else

The main thing I have to say about last night's game is that Chen saved our ass. He was, without a doubt, our best player last night. He doesn't get the love, but I'm thrilled he's on the team. Smart plays. Hustle plays. Great D. Plus, he brought the energy last night which was SORELY lacking. Seriously, can not say enough about how great he was last night.

Boyle's obviously nervous right now. It's the only way to explain the constant lineup juggling last night. Adams started over Nate, which I thought was a nice move (goes along with the youth movement we were talking about on this board last week), only to yank Adams within 1 minute for Ski, and then pull Spencer 2 minutes later for Nate. He's trying to find a combination that works. I believe in the second half he started with Spencer, Chen, Dre, Austin and Carlon, and that one finally brought some results to the team, so I'm wondering if that may be our new starting lineup.

I wasn't super impressed with Carlon last night, but he put up numbers so I'm thinking that was just me being overly critical. Same with Dre. Dre can be maddeningly frustrating because there are times where he just seems content to float through the game. The first half last night was one of those times. Luckily he took over in the second half and played like we needed him to.

I don't know what to think of Adams. He hasn't been bad, but he hasn't exactly been good either this season. Last night, Chen got his minutes -- and deserved them. Honestly, I'd like to see them both get some PT (with Nate sacrificing some of his minutes to accomplish this), but if it comes down to only one of them then I'd go with Chen right now.

Nice recap goose... and as for the crowd count, it was close, student section obviously decimated but you gotta give the crowd kudos.... the last play of the first half, chen fast breaks for a layup over the MOVING defender, falls to the ground, ball rims around and in, and then seconds later, the ref calls a FRIGGIN CHARGE?!?!?!? and the crowd boos emphatically until the refs leave the court, and then after the half when the refs come back to the court to another emphatic booing session. One of the refs actually went up to chen to let him know he may have made the wrong call!??!?

W/ that being said, I have to agree w/ you on most points, but i have to disagree w/ you on Carlon...one of the most impressive stats and if you watched closely, Carlon played amazing and has the 8 assists to prove it!!! that no look pass cutting across the top of the key for dre's alley oop was serious!!! And as for Adams, I like what I saw of him in summer ball, but its so far has not been translating to the games... which I hope and beleive will come around as it did for Spencer but the reality is shooting .222 is not what I would call acceptable. And as for the glossing over on the bigs... sheesh, on paper they look like monsters, but the telling stat last night was Dre and Chen led the team on rebounds w/ 5 apiece.

I think you're right on Boyle searching out the lineup. There was a period during the first half w/ CU down by a bit that he inserted ski and chen, talk about a triple shot of expresso.....CU then closed the gap within minutes. My point being is i'd like to see ski, spence, chen, dre and carlon together, i think that line up can do some serious damage in a 5-8 minute span imho.... oh and as you probably guessed, I dig stats... here's one of the goofiest I've seen this year and normally I wouldn't blink if it were for a big, but its a guard.... who's shooting over 60% from the field, but is only 40% from the charity stripe??? goofy or what?!?!?

Nice recap goose... and as for the crowd count, it was close, student section obviously decimated but you gotta give the crowd kudos.... the last play of the first half, chen fast breaks for a layup over the MOVING defender, falls to the ground, ball rims around and in, and then seconds later, the ref calls a FRIGGIN CHARGE?!?!?!? and the crowd boos emphatically until the refs leave the court, and then after the half when the refs come back to the court to another emphatic booing session. One of the refs actually went up to chen to let him know he may have made the wrong call!??!?

That was, without a doubt, in the top 10 of worst calls I've ever seen in my life. As for the crowd, other than that moment, they were dead. At the beginning of the game, I could have had a conversation with Boyle from my seat in the opposite corner. It had its moments, but for the most part it just felt lifeless.

W/ that being said, I have to agree w/ you on most points, but i have to disagree w/ you on Carlon...one of the most impressive stats and if you watched closely, Carlon played amazing and has the 8 assists to prove it!!! that no look pass cutting across the top of the key for dre's alley oop was serious!!!

Like I said with Carlon, I was probably being overly critical. During the game I found myself wanting him to do more, but when I heard his numbers I realized that I may have put unreal expectations on him and/or missed a lot of key plays from him. And that's huge. We need his consistency. And I do have to give him props for the oop to Dre. That was beautiful.

And while we're talking of dunks, how about Ski's dunk early in the 2nd?!? WOW.

don't forget Dre after the CSU loss, he was really disappointed in himself after that one. We need more guys like those 3.

I'm going to be completely honest here.

When he's dialed in, his ability and basketball IQ are off the chart. His will absolutely takes over games. I've only seen this once before in my life with this kind of player and that was with Dennis Rodman. Dre has the potential to be my all-time favorite Buff player.

Unfortnately, Dre is bi-polar with his attitude and performance. Maybe the offseason accolades got to his head a bit. Maybe he emulates Alec too much, who would get lazy on defense, rarely gave us 40 minutes of his best, and even had some games where his talent allowed him to skate bye and put up a good stat line despite being unfocused for that game. Alec was a lottery pick with that blueprint. Unfortunately, I'm seeing the same thing with Dre way too much. His defense this year has been bad. I don't trust him to man up and guard anyone even though I know that he could take any player on the other team off his game. I also don't trust him to box out since he can usually get by on ability without having to rely on fundamentals. He isn't giving up his body for the team by setting aggressive ball screens, diving for loose balls, or taking charges.

When Dre is focused and angry, he's an unstoppable force on a basketball court. He controls the glass. He shuts down the guy he's guarding. He disrupts the other team's offense with his help defense. He gets our fast break going. He gains us extra possessions with hustle plays. He provides a scoring punch that isn't dependent on the offense flowing well or shots falling. He's a game changer in so many ways. If we can get that Dre every night, we become a good basketball team. And if he does that, he becomes a 1st round draft pick that every team in the Association would love to have on its roster.

Back