What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Game Thread: MBB vs Fresno State

He also did a heck of a job when he took the mop away from the kid under the basket - that is leadership by example!

He's done that a few times, including last season. Even took it away from Boyle's kid at one point last year. Man knows how to mop.

My big frustration with Nate last night is that he was not receiving the pass on the wing in a shooter's position. His feet were not set correctly and he didn't even have his shoulders squared into a pass/drive/shoot position. There were several opportunities, if he'd handled that correctly, where he could have gotten off a clean jump shot or pump faked to get penetration. We absolutely must have that action coming from the wing in order to break down a 2-3 zone.

Funny, cause to me it looked like he spent the entire 2d half refusing to take the open shot, failing to break the zone down, and the only points we ever got were when guys like Dinwiddie broke down the D. Oh, and then he tried to give the game away with one of his turnover masterpieces with under 2 minutes left.

I'm literally speechless...

He's done that a few times, including last season. Even took it away from Boyle's kid at one point last year. Man knows how to mop.
After he did that the official called him for a ridiculous foul. I don't think he was a fan of Nate's impatience.

I'm literally speechless...
:lol:. We disagree. Fantastic! My hate for Nate is well known, and the amazingly stupid things he does on occasion under pressure may influence my thinking. That said, I stand by my opinion.

And frankly, I know I am not being fair to Nate. He's not built for this offense, he's not supposed to have to be the player we need him to be this season. But we do need him to be that player, and I keep seeing him refuse to be that player.

My big frustration with Nate last night is that he was not receiving the pass on the wing in a shooter's position. His feet were not set correctly and he didn't even have his shoulders squared into a pass/drive/shoot position. There were several opportunities, if he'd handled that correctly, where he could have gotten off a clean jump shot or pump faked to get penetration. We absolutely must have that action coming from the wing in order to break down a 2-3 zone.

There are a lot of ways to bread down the zone defense:

Beat the team down the court before they setup, penetrate the zone, send cutters from the weak side, send a player to the high post or swing the ball around the outside and make the defense adjust. The last option is the only one that CU employed last night, a couple of times they sent Adams to the high post but never got him the ball there. The spacing was terrible, 4 guys on the perimeter with nobody deep in the corners to spread the zone. Against a zone defense you have to make the defense work, make them constantly adjust and wait until somebody rotates to slow and attack it. I saw none of that last night, Fresno just basically stood around because they could, CU didn't didn't make them work. CU's offense against the zone scares me, Dinwiddie is literally the only player I can recall attempting to penetrate the zone.

Beat the team down the court before they setup, penetrate the zone, send cutters from the weak side, send a player to the high post or swing the ball around the outside and make the defense adjust. The last option is the only one that CU employed last night, a couple of times they sent Adams to the high post but never got him the ball there. The spacing was terrible, 4 guys on the perimeter with nobody deep in the corners to spread the zone. Against a zone defense you have to make the defense work, make them constantly adjust and wait until somebody rotates to slow and attack it. I saw none of that last night, Fresno just basically stood around because they could, CU didn't didn't make them work. CU's offense against the zone scares me, Dinwiddie is literally the only player I can recall attempting to penetrate the zone.
:stupid:

Absolutely. I was talking about the specific set we were running. Kind of a triangle with a guy on the low block, Nate on the wing, and some motion from the other 3 spots around the perimeter with flashes to the high post. Running that through Nate, he has to be in position to make a basketball move when he returns a return pass.

dead on the spacing was absolutely awful on offense last night. No guys ever shot the gaps in the zone and Nate in the high post was a joke right? I don't remember him shooting out of that spot once and he never kicked the ball down low, his whole purpose was to get a pass and then kick it back out. Where were the the ball fakes last night?

he seems to be the only person who can direct the floor and spends all game telling his team mates where to be. That alone warrants him being in there.

:nod: Yup. Sometimes it just feels like the stupid crap he pulls cancels out all the good he does.

Do you know the exact percentages of a team scoring when using each one of those strategies in a wednesday night game that is not televised against a team from a non power conference on the west coast by any chance?

Back