What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Phillip Lindsay Really is the first undrafted rookie in the ProBowl Thread

I want Lindsey too have a full NFL retirement package. So, longevity before my self interest of more touches. Like Mtn., I hope his utilization and effectiveness continue at this rate.
I agree with the desire for longevity and health. While the risk goes up with more touches, that's true for any NFL player. He's not physically built much different than Barry Sanders who had an ok run for 10 years. So there's at least one case where a RB of slight(er) build was successful (and reasonably healthy) as the primary back.

I agree with the desire for longevity and health. While the risk goes up with more touches, that's true for any NFL player. He's not physically built much different than Barry Sanders who had an ok run for 10 years. So there's at least one case where a RB of slight(er) build was successful (and reasonably healthy) as the primary back.

No question he has shown he is tough. There were games at CU when he got beat up and came back for more.

Reality is though that RBs wear out physically with an accumulation of hits. Each is different but they do wear out.

As big an issue though for me is that his effectiveness with the Broncos is in part due to how they are using him. The fact that he is gaining over 5 yards per touch at say 15 touches a game doesn't mean he will get 5 yards per touch on an additional 10 per game.

I love seeing him come in after the defense has had to tackle Freeman a few times with their hands on their hips breathing hard and here comes a fresh Phil ready to blow past them, through them, and/or around them. If Phil was all we had then yes use him more but what they are doing is working with both guys.

No question he has shown he is tough. There were games at CU when he got beat up and came back for more.

Reality is though that RBs wear out physically with an accumulation of hits. Each is different but they do wear out.

As big an issue though for me is that his effectiveness with the Broncos is in part due to how they are using him. The fact that he is gaining over 5 yards per touch at say 15 touches a game doesn't mean he will get 5 yards per touch on an additional 10 per game.

I love seeing him come in after the defense has had to tackle Freeman a few times with their hands on their hips breathing hard and here comes a fresh Phil ready to blow past them, through them, and/or around them. If Phil was all we had then yes use him more but what they are doing is working with both guys.
Not a huge amount of argument from me...Although it seems like Phil's performance to this point is significantly better (5.8 YPC vs 4.4 for Freemen, 15 receptions for 119 vs 4 for 21). I don't think that difference is based on how their using them. I'd like to see PL get more PT and gauge how he holds up. If he gets banged up or his performance decreases, then we know the answer. But if he can sustain it and stay healthy, why would you split? All I'm saying is that I'd like to see them game plan more touches for Phillip vs Freemen and see how it goes. We have no idea what the outcome would be since we haven't seen anything other than equal opportunities between the two.

I compare him to Darren Sproles and Reggie Bush. Guys who are great change of pace guys and present real problems for defenses but aren’t every down backs. I think the Broncos are utilizing him perfectly.

Not a huge amount of argument from me...Although it seems like Phil's performance to this point is significantly better (5.8 YPC vs 4.4 for Freemen, 15 receptions for 119 vs 4 for 21). I don't think that difference is based on how their using them. I'd like to see PL get more PT and gauge how he holds up. If he gets banged up or his performance decreases, then we know the answer. But if he can sustain it and stay healthy, why would you split? All I'm saying is that I'd like to see them game plan more touches for Phillip vs Freemen and see how it goes. We have no idea what the outcome would be since we haven't seen anything other than equal opportunities between the two.

Because if he gets banged up, the Broncos are down to one back they can count on. 2>>>>1

I compare him to Darren Sproles and Reggie Bush. Guys who are great change of pace guys and present real problems for defenses but aren’t every down backs. I think the Broncos are utilizing him perfectly.

Bush carried a significantly higher load than Sproles ever did.

Sproles (5-6, 190) 172 games, 691 carries (4.0 per game), 3376 yards, 4.9 YPC, 536 receptions (2.8 per game)
Bush (6-0, 200) 134 games, 1286 carries (9.6 per game), 5490 yards, 4.3 YPC, 477 receptions (3.55 per game)
Dunn (5-9, 180) 181 games, 2669 carries (14.7 per), 10697 yards, 4.1 YPC, 510 receptions (2.81 per game)
Lindsay (5-8, 190) 6.5 games, 75 carries (11.5 per), 436 yards, 5.8 YPC, 15 receptions (2.3 per game)

Sproles only got 4 carries per game?

Huh. Seemed like he got closer to 10, but stats don’t lie.

In any event, the comparison remains: not every down backs but guys who present a challenge for the defenses when they’re in the game. I think Phil is very effective in this role and should be effective for a long time.
For whatever reason, I never really saw Warrick Dunn play much in the NFL. I’m just comparing Phil to players I saw more regularly.

Because if he gets banged up, the Broncos are down to one back they can count on. 2>>>>1
True - but either of them can get banged up on any given play. There are a fixed number of offensive plays in any given game. The probability of injury to either RB doesn't change whether PH plays 55% of the snaps or 45% of the snaps. Now that goes out the window if a player is more susceptible injury if they play more because they are out of shape or something, but that's not the case here.

True - but either of them can get banged up on any given play. There are a fixed number of offensive plays in any given game. The probability of injury to either RB doesn't change whether PH plays 55% of the snaps or 45% of the snaps. Now that goes out the window if a player is more susceptible injury if they play more because they are out of shape or something, but that's not the case here.

I just do not see any reason to significantly alter the current situation. Both are playing well.

Sproles only got 4 carries per game?

Huh. Seemed like he got closer to 10, but stats don’t lie.

In any event, the comparison remains: not every down backs but guys who present a challenge for the defenses when they’re in the game. I think Phil is very effective in this role and should be effective for a long time.
For whatever reason, I never really saw Warrick Dunn play much in the NFL. I’m just comparing Phil to players I saw more regularly.

I used to think Sproles was the best comparison as well until I had a closer look at the numbers and he only has 13 career games with 10+ carries and 4 with 15+. His career high for a season is 94.

Sproles is the name that pops into mind when you think longevity for undersized RBs, but I think a very light workload helps here.

Freeman's ankle sprain may very well affect the split between the two the next few weeks, if not the rest of the season. Ankle sprains can be a bitch and linger.

I just do not see any reason to significantly alter the current situation. Both are playing well.
I don't disagree with your second statement - but I question whether the Broncos would be even more effective with more PL PT. That's all.

Plus - I really like to watch him play!

EDIT: and based on what Jens1893 says, looks like we're going to see this play out anyway. At least for one game.

It seemed like the refs tried hard to give the chargers the game. Missed a Bronco's 1st down, a 2 point conversion, bad interference call, bad roughing call.
PL is my hero

What impresses me most about PL is his ability to setup his blocks. He reminds me of a video game with how he maneuvers to get the defensive player engaged with a blocker, then he bursts through.

PL is just an absolute breath of fresh air!!! I want him to have a long career, and the day he gets a legitimate contract with some real cash in his bank account, that will be a great day in America. That family will be forever changed. PL runs hard for his brother and his family, because he is the real chance to change their fate. One of the reasons I never cheered for Manziel, Rosen, or Darnold, as those families have already got it made.

Only thing I want PL to think about is getting up all fired up and talking crap to these big time Safeties and Linebackers that could come back and hit him so hard it could change his career. Maybe those guys appreciate his spirit, but do not say that to Burfict who would probably break his mom's leg if she talked smack to him.

Stay genuine Phil, we love you.

PL is just an absolute breath of fresh air!!! I want him to have a long career, and the day he gets a legitimate contract with some real cash in his bank account, that will be a great day in America. That family will be forever changed. PL runs hard for his brother and his family, because he is the real chance to change their fate. One of the reasons I never cheered for Manziel, Rosen, or Darnold, as those families have already got it made.

Only thing I want PL to think about is getting up all fired up and talking crap to these big time Safeties and Linebackers that could come back and hit him so hard it could change his career. Maybe those guys appreciate his spirit, but do not say that to Burfict who would probably break his mom's leg if she talked smack to him.

Stay genuine Phil, we love you.
Taz is afraid of no man.

SIAP, but am I crazy to think he might get a pro-bowl invite? Dude is having a great year.

SIAP, but am I crazy to think he might get a pro-bowl invite? Dude is having a great year.

I think he definitely ends up at the pro-bowl, at the very least as a replacement. James Conner, Kareem Hunt and Melvin Gordon all have more yards than he does right now, but Phil as we all know has the amazing average better than those guys. But those are clearly the 4 best backs in the AFC this year, and those first 3 will likely all be in the playoffs so it is pretty likely that one or more drops out of the game if they were to be selected.

Phil is going to get a nice chunk of change at the end of the year from the NFL's Performance Based Pay distribution. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets $250k at the end of the year.

Phil is going to get a nice chunk of change at the end of the year from the NFL's Performance Based Pay distribution. I wouldn't be surprised if he gets $250k at the end of the year.
Dang, that's near to a 50% bonus.

Back