What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Phillip Lindsay Really is the first undrafted rookie in the ProBowl Thread

Stop looking for a way to blame everything on CU.

In fact, I would say CU deserves props for keeping their commitment to Phil after he tore his ACL in high school. From there the school gave Phil a great venue to showcase his skill set, a college degree, and world class athletic training. Phil loves being a buffalo and we are all proud of the young man’s accomplishments. His dreams are coming true before our eyes. This is not a situation that needs finger pointing.

He will be getting paid this offseason, trust me.

Not blaming everything on CU, just the offensive ineptitude

Not 100% sure on this but I don't think Lindsay can renegotiatehis contract until after the 3rd game of his 3rd season. If they couldn't extendh he would be a RFA at the end of the season, so the Broncos could get another cheapish year out of him if they don't extend.

(k) Renegotiations.
(i) A Rookie Contract for a Drafted Rookie may not be renegotiated, amended or altered in any way until after the final regular season game of the player’s third contract year.
(ii) A Rookie Contract for an Undrafted Rookie may not be renegotiated, amended or altered in any way until after the final regular season game of the player’s second contract year.
(iii) For the avoidance of doubt, any permissible renegotiated or extended Player Contract shall not be considered a Rookie Contract, and shall not be subject to the rules that limit Rookie Contracts.

So Lindsay can renegotiate after next year ends and will no longer be held to the rules governing rookie contract lengths or salaries. Hopefully the Broncos do that for him.

Phil has really good footwork. It even looks like it's improved since college. I remember watching TD growing up and he said something along the lines of, relax when you sprint and you'll be faster. I don't know how accurate it is but, Phil looks faster these days.

I think it has literally taken PL this long to get his knee fully recovered and trained up. His burst and speed are obvious and special. I do need to mention that it is possible that PL did not get good coaching from Hagan related to patience, moves, and reading blocking. PL just runs with so much passion he essentially got all his yards with his toughness in college! Now with NFL coaching and more film and maturity, he has more vision, more experience, and makes good decisions. He will be a Bronco for a long time.
Offensive Rookie of the Year and Broncos Team MVP

Last edited:
I think it has literally taken PL this long to get his knee fully recovered and trained up. His burst and speed are obvious and special. I do need to mention that it is possible that PL did not get good coaching from Hagan related to patience, moves, and reading blocking. PL just runs with so much passion he essentially got all his yards with his toughness in college! Now with NFL coaching and more film and maturity, he has more vision, more experience, and makes good decisions. He will he a Bronco for a long time.

He isn’t beating Barkley unfortunately.

I say that because i don’t believe anyone would allow that to happen, they’d much rather have Barkley, he’s the new golden boy. But Barkley has 1268 APY and Lindsay has 857 and 10 TD’s to 6. So he’s a lot further behind.

I'm so happy for Phil. I don't really watch much of the NFL, but I noticed the donks were going to be broadcast nationality so I tuned in this afternoon to see how Phil was doing. The dude is a humble beast. So proud of him as a native son and Buff. Fame is coming, Phil. Use it, but don't let it change you.

I'm so happy for Phil. I don't really watch much of the NFL, but I noticed the donks were going to be broadcast nationality so I tuned in this afternoon to see how Phil was doing. The dude is a humble beast. So proud of him as a native son and Buff. Fame is coming, Phil. Use it, but don't let it change you.

In general, I think PL is humble. When he’s on the field, he likes to talk. As my wife said, “Lindsay sure does love to talk shyte”.

I am so proud of Phillip and REALLY proud he is a Buff. Everytime he does good (which is often) announcers talk about how he is from CU.

I think it has literally taken PL this long to get his knee fully recovered and trained up. His burst and speed are obvious and special. I do need to mention that it is possible that PL did not get good coaching from Hagan related to patience, moves, and reading blocking. PL just runs with so much passion he essentially got all his yards with his toughness in college! Now with NFL coaching and more film and maturity, he has more vision, more experience, and makes good decisions. He will be a Bronco for a long time.

OK. So... you are taking a shot at Hagan because Phil is doing so well this year? Give me a break. Hagan is one of the lowest paid assistants and has had several good to great running backs under him. It's ridiculous to keep taking shots at him. Granted, he's my friend and I am likely biased but I don't care.

OK. So... you are taking a shot at Hagan because Phil is doing so well this year? Give me a break. Hagan is one of the lowest paid assistants and has had several good to great running backs under him. It's ridiculous to keep taking shots at him. Granted, he's my friend and I am likely biased but I don't care.
Outside of Phil, I'm struggling to think of many...

Outside of Phil, I'm struggling to think of many...

He's been RB coach 2006 -2010 and then from 2016 - 2018 (6 years total?). Apologies for being lazy but this is from his Bio. I think, given the poor offenses and lack of overall talent during his time as RB coach the following is pretty good:

'A popular coach with his players yet with a stern touch, he was coaching true freshman Rodney Stewart on the way to a 1,000-yard season in 2008 until a season-ending injury at Texas A&M sidelined him in the ninth game of the year. Stewart’s 622 yards were the third most by a CU freshman in school history. In 2010, Stewart hit the plateau and then some, rushing for 1,318 yards and in position to threaten many of the school’s all-time rushing marks. In 2007, Hagan tutored Hugh Charles to a 1,000-yard year including the Independence Bowl; he went on to have a successful career in the Canadian Football League.

He coached his third thousand-yard rusher for the Buffaloes in 2016, when Phillip Lindsay recorded 1,189 yards in the regular season, the first to reach the mark since Stewart did so six years earlier. When Lindsay rushed for 1,474 yards in 2017, he became the first player in CU history to run for 1,000 or more yards in consecutive seasons.

He's been RB coach 2006 -2010 and then from 2016 - 2018 (6 years total?). Apologies for being lazy but this is from his Bio. I think, given the poor offenses and lack of overall talent during his time as RB coach the following is pretty good:

'A popular coach with his players yet with a stern touch, he was coaching true freshman Rodney Stewart on the way to a 1,000-yard season in 2008 until a season-ending injury at Texas A&M sidelined him in the ninth game of the year. Stewart’s 622 yards were the third most by a CU freshman in school history. In 2010, Stewart hit the plateau and then some, rushing for 1,318 yards and in position to threaten many of the school’s all-time rushing marks. In 2007, Hagan tutored Hugh Charles to a 1,000-yard year including the Independence Bowl; he went on to have a successful career in the Canadian Football League.

He coached his third thousand-yard rusher for the Buffaloes in 2016, when Phillip Lindsay recorded 1,189 yards in the regular season, the first to reach the mark since Stewart did so six years earlier. When Lindsay rushed for 1,474 yards in 2017, he became the first player in CU history to run for 1,000 or more yards in consecutive seasons.
I think his coaching tenure is 8 years. Five under Hawkins and wrapping up his third under MacIntyre.
Hagan, 48, spent the first three seasons on Mike MacIntyre’s staff as the director of player development for the Buffaloes (2013-15), as he shifted into that role from one as the director of player personnel (2011-12) under head coach Jon Embree. He worked five seasons (2006-10) as running backs coach for head coach Dan Hawkins, as he was one of two assistant coaches retained by Hawkins when he was named to the position in December 2005.
So, in 8 seasons as RB coach, he's coached up three 1,000 yard rushers (4 when you include McMillian this year). I don't know how that compares to other RB coaches in the conference, but it doesn't really jump out to me, and the mere fact that the RB position needed a grad transfer this year is an indictment in and of itself.

I think his coaching tenure is 8 years. Five under Hawkins and wrapping up his third under MacIntyre.

So, in 8 seasons as RB coach, he's coached up three 1,000 yard rushers (4 when you include McMillian this year). I don't know how that compares to other RB coaches in the conference, but it doesn't really jump out to me, and the mere fact that the RB position needed a grad transfer this year is an indictment in and of itself.

I hear you but I would take this in the context of where this program has been the last 15 years.

WTF are you talking about? Lindsay learned how to pick up a blitz on his own? Just figured it out in mini camp and training camp? He just learned how to hit holes and read blocks in the NFL? He is a 5 ypc guy for his college career (over 700 attempts) with what most would characterize as below average (at best) offensive line play all four years he was here. He has over 1,000 career receiving yards. 39 career touchdowns. Are you saying that he would have done more in college with a better position coach? That he would be even better in the NFL if he had a better college RB coach? Eye roll emoji . . .

I don't even understand the criticism. Hagan may not be a world beater, but position by position is RB really the biggest problem the Buffs have? Not even the third or fourth worst problem. Maybe take a few shots at OL and DL. Lots more to work with there.

It is an unpopular opinion here, but PL is in a perfect situation in an RBBC setup with the Broncos. He can carry the load with 25-30 touches per game, but loses explosiveness because he’s playing hurt/borderline injured. PL with 14-15 touches per game lights the world on fire.
Agreed, although I’d like to see that number be around 20/game. They need to use him more in the passing game. It seems like they feel bad for Booker and feel like they owe him something, so they give him 3rd down and obvious passing situations. Phil is a complete back in the same mold as McCaffrey, albeit a little smaller.

WTF are you talking about? Lindsay learned how to pick up a blitz on his own? Just figured it out in mini camp and training camp? He just learned how to hit holes and read blocks in the NFL? He is a 5 ypc guy for his college career (over 700 attempts) with what most would characterize as below average (at best) offensive line play all four years he was here. He has over 1,000 career receiving yards. 39 career touchdowns. Are you saying that he would have done more in college with a better position coach? That he would be even better in the NFL if he had a better college RB coach? Eye roll emoji . . .

I don't even understand the criticism. Hagan may not be a world beater, but position by position is RB really the biggest problem the Buffs have? Not even the third or fourth worst problem. Maybe take a few shots at OL and DL. Lots more to work with there.

I have always been a Hagan fan as a player, as a true Buff, and as a coach, but.....

I was usually pretty amazed at the lack of patience and vision that PL had in college.
Hagan is likely responsible for making him a good pass pro blocker, and yes he was a 5 ypc guy, but Phillip looks amazing in the NFL with blazing speed and way more patience and vision. Could it be play design? Sure, getting the ball handed off to you from a QB under center with pro linemen could help vision, timing, and blocks, but overall he just seems smoother.

I did not mean to dig on Hagan in a mean way, and Hagan deserves credit no doubt, just felt there was more meat on the bone for Phillip in college despite his obvious brilliant career.

Agreed, although I’d like to see that number be around 20/game. They need to use him more in the passing game. It seems like they feel bad for Booker and feel like they owe him something, so they give him 3rd down and obvious passing situations. Phil is a complete back in the same mold as McCaffrey, albeit a little smaller.
McCaffrey had three fumbles in his monster game this weekend; he got lucky that they managed to get them back. He may have bigger numbers in the passing game, but so far Phil's ball security has been....
W1CKfRx.gif

I have always been a Hagan fan as a player, as a true Buff, and as a coach, but.....

I was usually pretty amazed at the lack of patience and vision that PL had in college.
Hagan is likely responsible for making him a good pass pro blocker, and yes he was a 5 ypc guy, but Phillip looks amazing in the NFL with blazing speed and way more patience and vision. Could it be play design? Sure, getting the ball handed off to you from a QB under center with pro linemen could help vision, timing, and blocks, but overall he just seems smoother.

I did not mean to dig on Hagan in a mean way, and Hagan deserves credit no doubt, just felt there was more meat on the bone for Phillip in college despite his obvious brilliant career.
Huh!! ?

Lindsey from his pro day thru the season has just seemed to have more explosiveness and speed.then I observed in college. Although he had plenty of big plays in college. One difference I perceive is that Lindsey seemed to at times initiate contact with defenders in college too often. In the pros he seems to explodes into the open space and not initiate contact. Lindsey was always good at CU and in the NFL in finding the holes between the tackles.

In the NFL he seems to have a very explosive change of direction step that I do not remember at CU.

I don't think there is any blame for anything. He had a great CU career and is starting strong in the pros. We should just enjoy it.

Back