What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

It’s dilutive.

What value would the Big 12's Left-Behind 8 bring to a new conference?

I combed through every Big 12 TV game from 2018 and '19 not involving Texas or Oklahoma.

It's ... humbling.

New subscribers: Sign up for 50% off.

If that is the case, take TT, Okie Lite, TCU, and UH and offer them a seat at the kiddie table for the P12 TV contract bonanza.

bowlsby isn't coming to visit to secure a place for some of the left behind 8, of course. he is hoping for something that will save the whole crew in some way.

the p12 is smart to listen and evaluate whatever he has to say. but, i personally do not place value in adding a bunch of dog **** academic and athletic programs that don't draw eyeballs.

what the p12 ought to be most focused on is (1) keeping everyone in the boat and (2) figuring a way to do something meaningful with the b10.

i do not *think* the b10 is sec ruthless and therefore they are somewhat less likely to poach usc, uw, etc. but it is not impossible. if that were to happen, then our circumstances are going to be materially worse. at that point, we should listen to a combination of the leftover 8 and the leftover pac teams. it will suck, it won't draw enough eyeballs and tv money. but, it is somewhat likely to remain a cough-cough "power" conference.

i really don't know who/what to hate the most. texaasssss, the okies, the sec, or our own self inflicted miseries.

bowlsby isn't coming to visit to secure a place for some of the left behind 8, of course. he is hoping for something that will save the whole crew in some way.

the p12 is smart to listen and evaluate whatever he has to say. but, i personally do not place value in adding a bunch of dog **** academic and athletic programs that don't draw eyeballs.

what the p12 ought to be most focused on is (1) keeping everyone in the boat and (2) figuring a way to do something meaningful with the b10.

i do not *think* the b10 is sec ruthless and therefore they are somewhat less likely to poach usc, uw, etc. but it is not impossible. if that were to happen, then our circumstances are going to be materially worse. at that point, we should listen to a combination of the leftover 8 and the leftover pac teams. it will suck, it won't draw enough eyeballs and tv money. but, it is somewhat likely to remain a cough-cough "power" conference.

i really don't know who/what to hate the most. texaasssss, the okies, the sec, or our own self inflicted miseries.
B1G and PAC 12 should merge honestly. That is really the only way either conference will be able to stay even with SEC revenue after OU and UT are added.

Again, it only makes sense if the SEC is playing a long game to try to re-make college football in such a way that they control it completely.
I don’t think the OU/UT additions are having the impact they expected. Their calculus on this was flawed. The SEC tends to believe the college football world revolves around them. To a certain extent, it does - but they don’t control it all. The parts they don’t control are kind of pissed off at them at the moment.
Yeah, I can see this actually working against the SEC if they keep applying their premier egos to it, killing everything that was unique and fan-based out of cfb. Maybe they keep the $ and dopamine flowing until they sort of self-inflict some setbacks unique to them. Not likely at all, but one can hope to gain ground on them in this way, both for cfb and CU.

UH is swaying me with their views on bailer.

That article makes me think there are some bailer players hitting the portal...and that is where CU FB makes its living recruiting. Plus, I approve the use of the term schadenfreude, wherever possible.

Is the Red Dog Saloon still open? Next time I am in HTown, I will give notice and I am buying.

That article makes me think there are some bailer players hitting the portal...and that is where CU FB makes its living recruiting. Plus, I approve the use of the term schadenfreude, wherever possible.

Is the Red Dog Saloon still open? Next time I am in HTown, I will give notice and I am buying.
The only Red Dog Saloon I know of is in Juneau, Alaska. We “borrowed” a life preserver from our frigate back in 1990, and at last check, the life preserver is still on the wall there.

The only Red Dog Saloon I know of is in Juneau, Alaska. We “borrowed” a life preserver from our frigate back in 1990, and at last check, the life preserver is still on the wall there.
The Red Dog used to be a place near the UH campus. I guess college bars come and go with some frequency. Oh well.

Anyone remember Frank the Tank writing in his blogs to think more like an university president instead of a media executive? He's not sold that the B1G, PAC, or ACC is expanding anytime soon. He allegedly has close contacts to the University of Illinois administration and at the time they housed the AAU. He still sees CU as having a seat at the P5 table and the B1G could target CU if they wanted to.

B1G and PAC 12 should merge honestly. That is really the only way either conference will be able to stay even with SEC revenue after OU and UT are added.

That might not be good for the likes of Oregon State and Washington State. Those two have long been touted as being given the boot from the PAC for years and a merger would be a good way to push them out. Baylor, Kansas State, and maybe West Virginia gets pushed out as well.

It seems like you haven't subscribed to ESPN+ at this point. They sell UFC PPVs on ESPN+.

Also, the monthly price of ESPN+ is going up to $6.99 per month in a couple of weeks. It's only a matter of time before it surpasses what cable is paying them (about $9 per month). I'd say that happens before 2025.

Like @MiamiBuffs said, ESPN+ is the place for most of the soccer out there. The MWC seems to be the only G5 conference that does not have a contract with ESPN and ESPN+. ESPN+ has 22 D1 conferences and only the MWC, ACC, B1G, and P12 aren't covered by that ESPN+ umbrella. I'm now seeing what is "SEC+" in some of the SEC football games this fall and I am wondering if that means I can watch SEC sports behind the ESPN+ paywall.

You might want to be ready for a day like this because it is something that the Pac-12 could do after this current media rights deal expires. That is why I'm hoping the P12 nukes their current media rights deal as soon as possible.
Do you work for ESPN+?

As California slowly falls behind on the football recruit production, you're probably right about Texas. That adding Tx schools is IF and only IF we are able to realistically pick up a significant chunk of recruits.

The challenge in these times is that now that ALL of the SEC programs will be shopping in Texas weekly with high visibility they will be sopping up more recruits than they used to. Were likely fighting for the leftovers with those leftovers. So is it worth it to divide by 16 or 14 (TCU, TT, UH, X) instead of 12? My point is the conference might only get a marginal number of additional recruits relative to what we are paying to be there. Texas philosophically aligns better with the SEC than it does with the more liberal west which might contribute to a recruits decision. I think, as others have noted, it's the NFL potential and coach/recruiters that have the most impact on a commits decision.

Anyway, you can see why all these schools that have geographic proximity want into the SEC.

STATES RANKED BY PERCENTAGE OF FBS SIGNEES

StateFBS SigneesPlayersRatio
1. Florida38940,6061 in 104
2. Georgia24832,9791 in 133
3. Louisiana13220,0871 in 152
4. Hawaii224,2581 in 194
5. Utah358,6381 in 247
6. Alabama8922,8411 in 257
7. Mississippi8322,3001 in 269
8. Maryland/D.C.5515,6621 in 285
9. Ohio13544,4311 in 329
1o. Tennessee6723,0031 in 343
11. California289103,4741 in 358
12. Texas459164,5541 in 359

(click me)
View attachment 45819

I really don't understand why you keep posting these "rankings" by percentage. Any metric that ranks Utah and Hawaii ahead of Texas in recruiting importance is full on stupid.

I read that and see TX = best recruiting state, CA = 2nd best,and everything else is noise.

That might not be good for the likes of Oregon State and Washington State. Those two have long been touted as being given the boot from the PAC for years and a merger would be a good way to push them out. Baylor, Kansas State, and maybe West Virginia gets pushed out as well.
Of course those schools would be out. He was talking about a merger with the Big 10 not the Big 12.

Actually with what the SEC is doing it may be that the only way for the PAC12 to stay relevant long term is if they are fully merged with the Big 10.

And yes you it wouldn't be surprising to see that combination shed the Beavs and Cougs. They also may be looking to drop a couple of bottom end (financially) schools.

And in the process they may skim some B12 teams while leaving behind the excess.

Whole idea would be to have a challenger for the media dollars to the SEC and be strong enough to claim that their champion is a legitimate claimant to being the best in the nation.

I think our best chance is that the p12 holds together intact and merged with the b10 and adds some Texas schools. Otherwise I hope that footprint matters more than I think and we end up in the b10. There is no there there with most of the leftover 8. The most important thing we can do is work to not be in a leftover position if the p12 is successfully raided.

Mandel dumping some cold water on the “KU hoops makes them attractive” narrative

I can only imagine the desperation coming from KU fans. Judging by how much football makes up those media rights deals, you have to think that their rivals to the west in Manhattan would be viewed more favorably as a result.

the b10 i think is unlikely to take kjuco state, or really, any of the leftover 8. maybe some of the texas schools can make a case? if they won't take ku, they sure as hell aren't interested in kjuco state, okie state and the rest.

same appears to be also true of the p12 re: the leftover 8. there doesn't appear to be a lot of interest right now in adding academically challenged "schools" that also can't draw eyeballs. west virginia's academics are so suspect even the acc won't take them and the says a lot.

so, of the leftover 8, that leaves bailer, tcu, t tech, and iowa state. of that group, who has a clear case to get into the b10?

i don't know enough about bailer or tcu or t tech to know if they are on a path to meet the minimal standards of academics of ANY of the other power conferences (except the sec of course but they can go **** themselves and they aren't rev sharing with teams that can't draw).

IF the p12 can hold together, it will get a better tv deal than current without adding anyone. that will set the stage for the b10/p12 super conference that can pretty much stand on its own and ignore the sec and the acc and the g5 and whatever is left of the b12.

of course, just like those poor ku fans, i am blinded by my fan POV.

The P12 should get a better deal by virtue of the fact that the B12 just fell apart. Less competition and all that. But just getting a better deal isn’t enough anymore. The deal has to at least approach what the B1G and SEC are getting or we just fall further behind.

The more I read and the longer this goes on, the more I think that fans and media that keep thinking about what the Big Ten, ACC, and Pac-12 should be doing are basing that assumption on the idea that they HAVE to do something.

At the same time, anytime you hear from actual leaders in charge in those schools and conferences, you don't hear or sense that same urgency.

Also, whenever people go in depth, the numbers all say the same thing - there's not much left out there that moves the needle very much for the existing P4 conferences, especially when you factor in the ACC's 2036 situation.

The only thing that makes sense is a huge Big Ten/Pac-12 move, either via raid or merger. I think we would all prefer merger, because raid probably has us on the outside looking in. Still, the OU/UT move was to get the SEC on equal footing with the Big Ten, not surpass them. There's no onus on the Big Ten to do anything, which might be the most likely scenario of all.

The more I read and the longer this goes on, the more I think that fans and media that keep thinking about what the Big Ten, ACC, and Pac-12 should be doing are basing that assumption on the idea that they HAVE to do something.

At the same time, anytime you hear from actual leaders in charge in those schools and conferences, you don't hear or sense that same urgency.

Also, whenever people go in depth, the numbers all say the same thing - there's not much left out there that moves the needle very much for the existing P4 conferences, especially when you factor in the ACC's 2036 situation.

The only thing that makes sense is a huge Big Ten/Pac-12 move, either via raid or merger. I think we would all prefer merger, because raid probably has us on the outside looking in. Still, the OU/UT move was to get the SEC on equal footing with the Big Ten, not surpass them. There's no onus on the Big Ten to do anything, which might be the most likely scenario of all.
I think it depends on how interested the streaming/tech companies are in getting into sports and how the conferences decide to schedule. Would Hulu, Amazon, Netflix, YouTube, etc try to get in on the bidding? What if the B1G and Pac 12 decided to reach a scheduling agreement where they play 11 or 12 P5 games and 3-4 of them are cross conference?

Increasing the marquee game inventory is probably the only way to meaningfully increase revenue. Granted, it creates a lot of tough schedules and no body bag games, but I think this is probably the way CFB is heading anyways.

Back