What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

I think it depends on how interested the streaming/tech companies are in getting into sports and how the conferences decide to schedule. Would Hulu, Amazon, Netflix, YouTube, etc try to get in on the bidding? What if the B1G and Pac 12 decided to reach a scheduling agreement where they play 11 or 12 P5 games and 3-4 of them are cross conference?

Increasing the marquee game inventory is probably the only way to meaningfully increase revenue. Granted, it creates a lot of tough schedules and no body bag games, but I think this is probably the way CFB is heading anyways.
Hulu is majority owned by Disney following the 20th century Fox aquisition. I dont see disney funding a competitor to ESPN for content.

Florida
I really don't understand why you keep posting these "rankings" by percentage. Any metric that ranks Utah and Hawaii ahead of Texas in recruiting importance is full on stupid.

I read that and see TX = best recruiting state, CA = 2nd best,and everything else is noise.
I like the noise coming from FL and GA.

As California slowly falls behind on the football recruit production, you're probably right about Texas. That adding Tx schools is IF and only IF we are able to realistically pick up a significant chunk of recruits.

The challenge in these times is that now that ALL of the SEC programs will be shopping in Texas weekly with high visibility they will be sopping up more recruits than they used to. Were likely fighting for the leftovers with those leftovers. So is it worth it to divide by 16 or 14 (TCU, TT, UH, X) instead of 12? My point is the conference might only get a marginal number of additional recruits relative to what we are paying to be there. Texas philosophically aligns better with the SEC than it does with the more liberal west which might contribute to a recruits decision. I think, as others have noted, it's the NFL potential and coach/recruiters that have the most impact on a commits decision.

Anyway, you can see why all these schools that have geographic proximity want into the SEC.

STATES RANKED BY PERCENTAGE OF FBS SIGNEES

StateFBS SigneesPlayersRatio
1. Florida38940,6061 in 104
2. Georgia24832,9791 in 133
3. Louisiana13220,0871 in 152
4. Hawaii224,2581 in 194
5. Utah358,6381 in 247
6. Alabama8922,8411 in 257
7. Mississippi8322,3001 in 269
8. Maryland/D.C.5515,6621 in 285
9. Ohio13544,4311 in 329
1o. Tennessee6723,0031 in 343
11. California289103,4741 in 358
12. Texas459164,5541 in 359

(click me)
View attachment 45819

Nice job CO. Even Delaware,
Connecticut, and WV have 1.

bowlsby isn't coming to visit to secure a place for some of the left behind 8, of course. he is hoping for something that will save the whole crew in some way.

the p12 is smart to listen and evaluate whatever he has to say. but, i personally do not place value in adding a bunch of dog **** academic and athletic programs that don't draw eyeballs.

what the p12 ought to be most focused on is (1) keeping everyone in the boat and (2) figuring a way to do something meaningful with the b10.

i do not *think* the b10 is sec ruthless and therefore they are somewhat less likely to poach usc, uw, etc. but it is not impossible. if that were to happen, then our circumstances are going to be materially worse. at that point, we should listen to a combination of the leftover 8 and the leftover pac teams. it will suck, it won't draw enough eyeballs and tv money. but, it is somewhat likely to remain a cough-cough "power" conference.

i really don't know who/what to hate the most. texaasssss, the okies, the sec, or our own self inflicted miseries.
You forgot a hate target.

Yeah, I can see this actually working against the SEC if they keep applying their premier egos to it, killing everything that was unique and fan-based out of cfb. Maybe they keep the $ and dopamine flowing until they sort of self-inflict some setbacks unique to them. Not likely at all, but one can hope to gain ground on them in this way, both for cfb and CU.
In a Machiavellian (callback post) sort of way, I hope with all the new money, Sarkisian, higher profile opponents, etc; that Texas rolls into the SEC and starts dominating, Vince Young-style.

They can team up without merging.
Yeah, team up (maybe with ACC), refuse to play SEC teams and the CFP based on unfair trade practice incurred at the hands of ESPN.*

* the basis of this is not that the SEC is soooo good that is not fair. It’s that ESPN artificially (insidiously) inflates SEC team rankings by talking about them/highlighting them/having their own poll much in the manner of a monopoly, thus getting more SEC teams in a position for the CFP and high profile bowl games.

Yeah, team up (maybe with ACC), refuse to play SEC teams and the CFP based on unfair trade practice incurred at the hands of ESPN.*

* the basis of this is not that the SEC is soooo good that is not fair. It’s that ESPN artificially (insidiously) inflates SEC team rankings by talking about them/highlighting them/having their own poll much in the manner of a monopoly, thus getting more SEC teams in a position for the CFP and high profile bowl games.
Yes. Everyone outside Sec country dislikes Sec. And most big markets are still outside Sec. Team up and use that.

Saw a headline in the Athletic this morning that said Bowlsby and Kliavkoff are meeting to discuss, something. It’s a safe bet that Bowlsby is in crisis mode now doing everything he can to keep what’s left of his conference together. I don’t know what he could do at this point, though. He has no negotiating leverage whatsoever.

Nice job CO. Even Delaware,
Connecticut, and WV have 1.
To be fair I think there are 3 elements to producing a 5 star athlete. Genetics is one factor, the freak factor (Universal). The other factor is surrounding talent that creates a high intensity environment which pushes up the freak factor (Colorado doesnt have that). The third is permission to participate which is dropping in the west but is strong in the east and southeast (Florida, Georgia).

i think ku to the b10 would be a good sign. it would show that the b10 and p12 care at least a little about fit, culture, geography, etc. if the p12 and b10 can hold together and not lose anyone, they are together a force against the sec death star, whether they form a super conference right away or not.

i got super spooked by the b12 ratings breakdown. but so far there is some early evidence that the b10 and p12 are looking at the whole picture not just tv money.

one possibility is you move ku to b10, and maybe wvu to the acc. then you take the remaining leftover 6 and add 6 g5 teams to create another "power" conference. then you do scheduling agreements among everyone but the sec. that would pretty much solidify the rest of college football.

That tweet was put out yesterday, which is what prompted the Mandel response I posted that pointed out how it doesn't move the needle financially and is highly unlikely. Obviously, Mandel could be wrong, but if the B1G takes KU, then we should throw out everything we think about what conferences are looking for ($$$$) in realignment.

Don’t discount the attractiveness of the KU hoops brand. The B1G was bitchslapped in the tournament this year. There’s conference prestige on the line here, too.

That tweet was put out yesterday, which is what prompted the Mandel response I posted that pointed out how it doesn't move the needle financially and is highly unlikely. Obviously, Mandel could be wrong, but if the B1G takes KU, then we should throw out everything we think about what conferences are looking for ($$$$) in realignment.

i hope you are underestimating the perceived value of academics, culture, and geography/fit to the university presidents in the p12 and b10. i hope so anyhow.

suppose they issue a mutual statement of solidarity (b10, p12, and acc, and new leftover conference). and they announce a scheduling alliance among those conference and not including the sec. and suppose they announce their own playoffs that including everyone but the sec and include all the g5 in some way.

that is cumulatively worth a lot of tv dollars and it nods its head to the traditional college football hierarchies.

and it ignores the ****ing sec and gives the non-espn tv distributors, traditional and streaming, a valuable counter asset.

i can dream can't i?

I can only imagine the desperation coming from KU fans. Judging by how much football makes up those media rights deals, you have to think that their rivals to the west in Manhattan would be viewed more favorably as a result.
Their realignment thread on their 247 board is up to nearly 400 pages already.

i hope you are underestimating the perceived value of academics, culture, and geography/fit to the university presidents in the p12 and b10. i hope so anyhow.

suppose they issue a mutual statement of solidarity (b10, p12, and acc, and new leftover conference). and they announce a scheduling alliance among those conference and not including the sec. and suppose they announce their own playoffs that including everyone but the sec and include all the g5 in some way.

that is cumulatively worth a lot of tv dollars and it nods its head to the traditional college football hierarchies.

and it ignores the ****ing sec and gives the non-espn tv distributors, traditional and streaming, a valuable counter asset.

i can dream can't i?
Oh I think that stuff matters, but not at the expense of per school revenue, which adding KU is almost assuredly going to drive down now and certainly in the new deal

Back