What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official realignment thread - SEC formally invites OU and Texas to join the conference in 2025

If the Big12 looks like it is going to fail without Texas and OU, I think this alliance will come in to "save the day".
Based on Philips' comments, I'm doubling down on my take. XII leftovers getting hung to dry.

Also, sounds like 8 conference game schedules are a definite possibility.

Formal agreement is incoming. No doubt in my mind.
All of this would be pointless without a formal agreement, so of course there will be signatures and contracts.
8 game conference schedule incoming. At least until the alliance can lock down its scheduling structure.
What was said about this? I had to turn it off. It would make sense to have 8 conference games and then 3-4 cross conference P5 games

All of this would be pointless without a formal agreement, so of course there will be signatures and contracts.

What was said about this? I had to turn it off. It would make sense to have 8 conference games and then 3-4 cross conference P5 games
Big 10 has no GoR so they are examing a reduction of conference games to increase scheduling flexibility until current contracts are completed.

Pac12 has a GoR through 2025 and is obligated to play 9 conference games. However under the proposed scenario, Pac12 feels like it could fill the void with matchups that would be just as valuable to Fox and ESPN

B1G's media rights expire after next year. Pac-12's media rights expire the year after that. ACC will not expire for another 12 years or something like that.

It is now Fox's turn to decide what TV markets they want in the B1G even including P12 markets.

Big 10 has no GoR so they are examing a reduction of conference games to increase scheduling flexibility until current contracts are completed.

Pac12 has a GoR through 2025 and is obligated to play 9 conference games. However under the proposed scenario, Pac12 feels like it could fill the void with matchups that would be just as valuable to Fox and ESPN
Yeah, I'm sure Fox and ESPN would be fine with having cross conference matchups that are likely to generate far better ratings than another conference game in a footprint that doesn't generate ratings.

Yeah, I'm sure Fox and ESPN would be fine with having cross conference matchups that are likely to generate far better ratings than another conference game in a footprint that doesn't generate ratings.
Conference games are money makers. Especially with your tier three tv rights.

Because if they open a slot that used to be a conference game, they don't have to cancel any games.
Good point. But schools cancel and move games all the time. It’s really not that big of an issue. GK also said this alliance doesn’t mean they won’t play SEC schools.

Ideally you have the three conferences work over the next year or two to develop a structure that works for the 42 schools (including ND). Have an agreement in hand to use in negotiations with the TV partners and proceed forward with basically a 42 team mega conference.

I think there is far more intrigue for the networks in 3rd cross conference P5 game than there is for a 9th conference game, particularly the Pac 12.
You’re probably right. The big 10 is the biggest loser in all of this because they are trading a conference game with high ratings that they have full control over for out of conference games that won’t rate as high. Pac 12 and ACC would both benefit from home games against big 10 teams that pull in massive numbers.

Honestly wonder if the three conferences have been working together to decide if/how the remaining Big 12 programs should be split up among the three conferences. Probably a long shot, but then, I feel like this is a very strange answer from GK

comedy central scoundrels GIF by Drunk History

I just hope they get something done with Directv since they're coming up for contract negotiations. Every bar has Directv so they all miss the CU games that are on PAC12 network....unfortunately I have it at home too but pay to stream it through my laptop.

You’re probably right. The big 10 is the biggest loser in all of this because they are trading a conference game with high ratings that they have full control over for out of conference games that won’t rate as high. Pac 12 and ACC would both benefit from home games against big 10 teams that pull in massive numbers.
But the B1G can look at each team's worst rated matchup and basically just pull that game and add a Pac 12 or ACC game that will likely rate higher.

I envision something like Wisconsin dropping Maryland or Rutgers and adding ASU or UCLA for example. I could be way off, but this feels like they are trying to put together a schedule that creates ~60 new, intriguing P5 matchups each year

Back