What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

******Official RMS Game Thread******

Stanford is in an area that is neither sleepy, nor small. It’s in one of the most affluent areas in the country in a dense metro area more populated than the Seattle-Tacoma metro.

I don’t expect Stanford to draw like UW (I only brought them up in response to the “students haven’t moved in yet” argument) but drawing 37k to your home opener as a top 25 program against a P5 opponent at 1:00 on a Saturday is pathetic.

Palo Alto has a population of under 75,000. San Jose is not exactly known as a major sports town and San Francisco is a pretty significant trek for folks who don’t necessarily have a connection to Stanford (especially in traffic).

Udub is a major state university located directly in a huge population center. The bulk of udub graduates are nearby. Approximately 60% of the students are from washington state.

Stanford is a small school with many students who DGAF about sports. Udub has nearly 3x the number of students and a much more centrally located campus/alumni base. It’s not a good comparison. At all.

Palo Alto has a population of under 75,000. San Jose is not exactly known as a major sports town and San Francisco is a pretty significant trek for folks who don’t necessarily have a connection to Stanford (especially in traffic).

Udub is a major state university located directly in a huge population center. The bulk of udub graduates are nearby. Approximately 60% of the students are from washington state.

Stanford is a small school with many students who DGAF about sports. Udub has nearly 3x the number of students and a much more centrally located campus/alumni base. It’s not a good comparison. At all.

Put it even more simply: Seattle residents are crazy about their local sports (see Seahawks, Mariners, and Sounders attendance numbers). Palo Alto residents are wine and cheesers more likely to want to go to a gallery opening than a college football game.

Again, I’m not comparing them. At all. I ONLY brought UW up when someone tried to excuse Stanford attendance numbers because school hadn’t started yet. I agree that Stanford’s fan base largely DGAF about football and that was my original point. That fan base is weak.

Again, I’m not comparing them. At all. I ONLY brought UW up when someone tried to excuse Stanford attendance numbers because school hadn’t started yet. I agree that Stanford’s fan base largely DGAF about football and that was my original point. That fan base is weak.

At Stanford, students not being in school likely means that they’re nowhere near Palo Alto.
At udub, students not being in school likely means that they’re within relatively close driving distance to Seattle.

In addition to the nearly 30K current udub students who reside in the state, there are hundreds of thousands of udub alumni in Seattle and the surrounding suburbs.

Relative to a humongous state school, a small/elite private school in a sleepy town will never win out.

I genuinely find it amusing that Stanford has a good football team and low attendance. Much like their band exists to troll all other marching bands, I feel as though their team exists to troll all of college football.

Hey man. We're a bunch of smart nerds and look, I guess we have a good football team too. I don't really care about all that, because I'm too busy making zillions, but I guess if you have nothing else going on in your life, you might care a lot about college football.

It's gotta drive Cal nuts.

At Stanford, students not being in school likely means that they’re nowhere near Palo Alto.
At udub, students not being in school likely means that they’re within relatively close driving distance to Seattle.

In addition to the nearly 30K current udub students who reside in the state, there are hundreds of thousands of udub alumni in Seattle and the surrounding suburbs.

Relative to a humongous state school, a small/elite private school in a sleepy town will never win out.
Lot of assumptions there about where students are before school starts, nevertheless even if all of Stanford’s 7,000 undergrads had shown up that attendance number is still bad for a program that good.

They built a brand new 50,000 seat stadium in 2006 and despite being one of the best programs in the conference they averaged 38,000 in attendance in 2018 (that’s a full season, not one game before school starts).

Lot of assumptions there about where students are before school starts, nevertheless even if all of Stanford’s 7,000 undergrads had shown up that attendance number is still bad for a program that good.

They built a brand new 50,000 seat stadium in 2006 and despite being one of the best programs in the conference they averaged 38,000 in attendance in 2018 (that’s a full season, not one game before school starts).

My kid attends Stanford. He was in Cancun last weekend. It's not an assumption, I'm telling you that the vast majority of Stanford's undergraduate population isn't near Palo Alto until school starts. Have you heard about housing costs in the Bay Area?

My kid attends Stanford. He was in Cancun last weekend. It's not an assumption, I'm telling you that the vast majority of Stanford's undergraduate population isn't near Palo Alto until school starts. Have you heard about housing costs in the Bay Area?
True, it would be a lot easier if they lived somewhere affordable like Seattle.:rolleyes:

The 50k was a downsize of the old stadium. I spent a year at Stanford on fellowship for scientific research. The place has zero football culture. They were in the midst of their best seasons while I was there and the stadium was never full, not even for USC.

The 50k was a downsize of the old stadium. I spent a year at Stanford on fellowship for scientific research. The place has zero football culture. They were in the midst of their best seasons while I was there and the stadium was never full, not even for USC.
Exactly. They have a historically weak, apathetic fan base. People are trying to defend their attendance because school hasn’t started and that has very little (if anything) to do with their low turnout.

Exactly. They have a historically weak, apathetic fan base. People are trying to defend their attendance because school hasn’t started and that has very little (if anything) to do with their low turnout.

Their low turnout is a combination of many factors I’ve repeatedly pointed out that you continue to ignore:

1. The town where the school is located is small.
2. The school doesn’t have hundreds of thousands of its alumni literally in the city where the school is located or suburbs within close driving distance.
3. There are 3x the number of students who attend and reside near one school (udub) while the other (Stanford) draws kids from all over, most of whom don’t live within one hour of campus.

Without large populations of alumni/community and/or student support in or very near the town where the school’s located, it is very difficult to have a football culture. There’s a reason why only 3 of the current AP top 25 are private schools. Aside from Stanford, Syracuse has more students and more local support. Notre Dame continues to be a football institution with rabid alumni/community support across the nation.

This is the most Berkeley post ever.

So close!
Berkely isn't much better - if at all - in football culture, which is why I hardly follows the Bears. Cal's attendance is usually higher but they have nearly 4X the enrollment. Both schools care about the Big Game and just about nothing else. Cal fans get a little jazzed up for USC.

Their low turnout is a combination of many factors I’ve repeatedly pointed out that you continue to ignore:

1. The town where the school is located is small.
2. The school doesn’t have hundreds of thousands of its alumni literally in the city where the school is located or suburbs within close driving distance.
3. There are 3x the number of students who attend and reside near one school (udub) while the other (Stanford) draws kids from all over, most of whom don’t live within one hour of campus.

Without large populations of alumni/community and/or student support in or very near the town where the school’s located, it is very difficult to have a football culture. There’s a reason why only 3 of the current AP top 25 are private schools. Aside from Stanford, Syracuse has more students and more local support. Notre Dame continues to be a football institution with rabid alumni/community support across the nation.
Thanks guy, I know all that, not sure what you are trying to convince me of? What am I ignoring? Stanford doesn’t draw, and yes there are many reason for it. They had an opening day against a P5 opponent at the ideal day/time and attendance wasn’t good. All I said was that classes not starting wasn’t a big reason for their low turnout because they have a small student population, other schools draw fine before school starts, and their attendance sucks even during the school year.

ASU should draw a lot better than they do. They had to reduce the capacity of their stadium just to make it look better for the crowds that do show up.

I’m not a fan, but if I lived in the Phoenix area, I’d have season tickets. It’s a decent atmosphere. Not great, but not Nebraska level desperation, either.

Berkely isn't much better - if at all - in football culture, which is why I hardly follows the Bears. Cal's attendance is usually higher but they have nearly 4X the enrollment. Both schools care about the Big Game and just about nothing else. Cal fans get a little jazzed up for USC.

Cal seems to have a big opportunity to increase attendance with the Raiders moving to Vegas and the 9ers playing down in the Santa Clara burbs...but again, people out west have better things to do than be college football fanatics

ASU should draw a lot better than they do. They had to reduce the capacity of their stadium just to make it look better for the crowds that do show up.

I’m not a fan, but if I lived in the Phoenix area, I’d have season tickets. It’s a decent atmosphere. Not great, but not Nebraska level desperation, either.

Its also like 100 down there until the end of this month.

Cal seems to have a big opportunity to increase attendance with the Raiders moving to Vegas and the 9ers playing down in the Santa Clara burbs...but again, people out west have better things to do than be college football fanatics
I thought about that, and it may come to pass. There are a decent number of locals unnafiliated with the university at every game. Time will tell. Cal needs to consistently make some bowl games for that to work out.

Back