What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

******Official RMS Game Thread******

Wazzu, that's just sad.
They are located in the middle of nowhere and it takes an effort to get there. Even if I were a fan and had tickets I wouldn't get excited enough to make the effort to get there to see them play New Mexico State who they ended up beating 58-7. Isn't going to get any better this weekend when they play Northern Colorado.

That average isn't going to go up much after UNC leaves. Their stadium only seats a little less than 33,000 so even a string of sellouts won't move them up a lot.

I rewatched the game. A couple of defensive observations:

Colin Hill is a good, accurate QB. CSU hasn't had one of those in a while. Historically, when they do, they're capable of putting up a lot of points and winning games. We'll see about the rest of the year, but aside from some bad decisions that we made him pay for, he had a good game.

We weren't prepared for Wright. It was obvious in the first half. I don't know if we adjusted well or Bobo didn't use him as much, but he was a non-entity in the second half.

The DL wasn't impressive. They weren't bad, either, but created little pressure and did give up a couple of runs. Most of the runs were outside, though.

Our LBs are concerning. Wells, Van Diest, and even Landman looked slow and out of position against a G5 team. They were slightly better later in the game, but that was when CSU was becoming more one-dimensional.

The DBs were all around shaky in the first half, better in the second. As I said, Hill isn't the typical **** CSU QB that they've had for years, and he had some nice throws. There were some blown assignments that got cleaned up in the second half, and the tackling was pretty good. Guys did get beaten by G5 receivers though - that's a concern.

All in all, after a non-emotional rewatch, I don't think things were as bad as they seemed Friday night. CSU has a good offense, they will probably put up a lot of points this year, and Wright can be a difference maker if they use him right and he stays healthy. 165 lbs is a problem.

Our opportunism and ball-hawking was impressive. Our defensive improvement from half to half was nice to see. The DL has room to improve, they were stout but need to get penetration. Our DBs are not as bad as I feared, were aggressive and got takeaways, but I'm still nervous about more talented competition. Our LBs are the weakest link, which is scary. My only hope is that there was a new scheme/overthinking issue, and it will improve from week one to week two. Otherwise, we're screwed.

I expect Stanford to struggle.

ASU is one of the largest schools in the country in a large metro area and cannot break 50K? That is weird.
Aside from the heat (it was over 100 degrees), it was a Thursday night game against Kent State. Playing a non-P5 opponent at 8:00 pm on a weeknight is a recipe for a poor turnout.

Stanford was a 1:00 Saturday game - what more can you ask for?

10,000+ student ticket holders on campus? I'm just sayin' that our numbers wouldn't look too good if we played 3 weeks before dorms open.
Assuming zero students showed (unlikely) and all 10,000 would have attended a couple weeks later (also unlikely), that’s still less turnout than ASU had playing a G5 team on a Thursday night. Terrible.

Washington is going to play their first 3 home games before school starts and they still drew 65k.

Assuming zero students showed (unlikely) and all 10,000 would have attended a couple weeks later (also unlikely), that’s still less turnout than ASU had playing a G5 team on a Thursday night. Terrible.

Washington is going to play their first 3 home games before school starts and they still drew 65k.

Meh, we're not the ones to be throwing stones after the last few seasons.

Meh, we're not the ones to be throwing stones after the last few seasons.
Our program has been garbage for most of the last decade - they have the winningest coach in program history and have won 3 conference titles under him and still can’t draw.

That’s what you get for scheduling NMSU.
They are located in the middle of nowhere and it takes an effort to get there. Even if I were a fan and had tickets I wouldn't get excited enough to make the effort to get there to see them play New Mexico State who they ended up beating 58-7. Isn't going to get any better this weekend when they play Northern Colorado.

That average isn't going to go up much after UNC leaves. Their stadium only seats a little less than 33,000 so even a string of sellouts won't move them up a lot.
Martin only seats 33K

I think there are 33k in our office, sometimes.

Replies noted.

Moving on, everyone on that list sucks except my Buffs.

Udub is one of the few major sports draws in a major US city. Stanford is in a small, sleepy, and very wealthy suburb with many nerds. I wouldn’t really call it even.

Udub is one of the few major sports draws in a major US city. Stanford is in a small, sleepy, and very wealthy suburb with many nerds. I wouldn’t really call it even.
Stanford is in an area that is neither sleepy, nor small. It’s in one of the most affluent areas in the country in a dense metro area more populated than the Seattle-Tacoma metro.

I don’t expect Stanford to draw like UW (I only brought them up in response to the “students haven’t moved in yet” argument) but drawing 37k to your home opener as a top 25 program against a P5 opponent at 1:00 on a Saturday is pathetic.

Back