What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Spring Practice Thread

I don't get this focusing by the "fans" on practices being closed. For awhile, almost all the practices were open and I went to a few. Boring. Very sparsely attended. So the only people that would go then may be the ones that want to scout for information. Having open practices is not going to increase attendance to games or add more interest and investment in the team. Conversely, are you not going to go the games because you feel left out of the practice?!?! Makes more sense to me not to allow access and keep information, personnel, plays and strategy within. What other industry or business would open their doors and meetings to outside interests?
Ding, ding, ding, ding!

We have a winner!

I don't get this focusing by the "fans" on practices being closed. For awhile, almost all the practices were open and I went to a few. Boring. Very sparsely attended. So the only people that would go then may be the ones that want to scout for information. Having open practices is not going to increase attendance to games or add more interest and investment in the team. Conversely, are you not going to go the games because you feel left out of the practice?!?! Makes more sense to me not to allow access and keep information, personnel, plays and strategy within. What other industry or business would open their doors and meetings to outside interests?

Most fans have conceded that closing practices to fans is fine. But what exactly is the point of freezing out credentialed media members? If you think that does not adversely affect the coverage the team receives, I would love to hear the reasoning. CU has to fight for everything in this market and solution appears to be to actively discourage coverage. Does that make any sense?

Even the one real public event surrounding spring practices has been treated as mostly a nuisance which the team will get through and move on. Do you think that helps grow the fanbase?

Last edited:

I'm not that wrapped up in having open practices but having a few can help to keep the conversation going in the core fan base and generate some excitement.

I do believe though that they should have a real spring game and that they should focus on putting on a show and generating excitement for the fans.

The idea that they are protecting anything by closing practices and not having a springs show is ridiculous. It's spring football. multiple guys who will be significant players during the season aren't even in pads. They aren't practicing game plans, they are working on things that likely won't be a significant part of game plans.

Other than the newcomers the returning players are on tape from last year, teams can see and know pretty much what they can do. The coaches aren't suddenly going to be different coaches and change from what they know and believe.

Any benefit gained by trying to be super secret isn't worth what they lose in potential fan interest.

It's that they're closed to the beat writers that has bothered me. Fans need 1 or 2 open days and we got that. But the media has to be able to cover the team or they really lack for insights. They barely know more than any fan who watches the youtube interviews every day.

When I was at Cu in the early 80s the spring game was a lot of fun. IIRC, alums would come back and play. One year there was a couple of twins that taped traffic cones to their helmets during the alum scrimmage. It was entertaining if anything. As to the press being locked out of practice...what is the policy at a places like Bama, Clemson, USC and other top tier programs?

He is definitely saying that, but not sure I understand the reasoning.
Rick George should be focused on how to best market and MM on how to win.

That is my reasoning. The crock of **** hiring of Denver Post guys to edge out real press is by far the biggest issue. I don't care that a string game that draws 2500 happens. This isn't Lincoln.

CU Football

Only allowed to exist from Sept-November

Write it MM's grave when we can him
CgDqoZ5UAAA6jy5.jpg

It's that they're closed to the beat writers that has bothered me. Fans need 1 or 2 open days and we got that. But the media has to be able to cover the team or they really lack for insights. They barely know more than any fan who watches the youtube interviews every day.
What beat writers?

First reactions: OL looks like a mess, but defense actually looks pretty decent outside of safety depth.

Little surprised on Wigley. 3rd?

Do not put any stock in this depth chart.

There are a couple "well duh" but thats about it.

No way is our starting CB tandem, Udoffia and Miller.

I would not say no way they end up the starters, but moreso the main takeaway is to expect Udoffia, Miller, Abrams, and Wigley to all play quite a bit this season. Blackmon might be the odd man out at the moment.

Seems pretty true to form to me for other positions. I know Miller had had a good spring. Just thought Wigley would at least be on two deep after PT last year.

Should be an interesting game.

Chris Miller, Delrick Abrams, Taylor, Tyler Lytle, Sam Noyer, Terrance Lang, Isiah Lewis, Mustafa Johnson, Sami, Fentonot(sp), Will Sherman,Jones, Tony Bown, Winfree, KD Nixon, Shenault(sp), Mauice Bell, Ento, Callier

Miller & Udoffia would not be shocking at all. Small surprise, but not a big one.

When I was at Cu in the early 80s the spring game was a lot of fun. IIRC, alums would come back and play. One year there was a couple of twins that taped traffic cones to their helmets during the alum scrimmage. It was entertaining if anything. As to the press being locked out of practice...what is the policy at a places like Bama, Clemson, USC and other top tier programs?
I believe that was the Cone brothers. Not twins, though.

Back