What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Spring Practices Thread

If you think #2 is anywhere near making a point, I don't know what to tell you.

This isn't some narrative I alone have created, lol.

Its fairly widely accepted that the running back position isn't important anymore because their success is past entirely dependent on the O line.

I think you misrepresent the overall outlook on the RB position here. It is much more muddled than you let on.

I think you misrepresent the overall outlook on the RB position here. It is much more muddled than you let on.
Maybe in college, but not in the league.

Like I said, The Steelers had "the best back in the NFL" sit out, and James Connor put up very comparable numbers to him. Then when Connor got hurt, they turned to a guy who didn't play a snap at running back in college, and he continued to put up great numbers.

I hope someone can step up and take the job, it's there. If that's Mangham, so be it. He was recruited as a back, yes?

Maybe in college, but not in the league.

Like I said, The Steelers had "the best back in the NFL" sit out, and James Connor put up very comparable numbers to him. Then when Connor got hurt, they turned to a guy who didn't play a snap at running back in college, and he continued to put up great numbers.

Actually, it is not that clear in the league either. The universal narrative of the RB position dying has not exactly held true the last few years.

I don't care so much who it is, somebody needs to take it. I hope one of these young men prove us wrong.

If you think #2 is anywhere near making a point, I don't know what to tell you.

This isn't some narrative I alone have created, lol.

Its fairly widely accepted that the running back position isn't important anymore because their success is almost entirely dependent on the O line.

Your argumentation skills are lacking. You haven’t proven anything. If it were true that RB were irrelevant in college, RBs would produce exactly the same way behind the same line. At Colorado, that didn’t happen. I haven’t read the stats of all other teams, but I would suspect the same is true at most schools. There’s a reason why some players get more carries than others (i.e. they are more productive with their carries).

Carry on with your dumb takes.

Your argumentation skills are lacking. You haven’t proven anything. If it were true that RB were irrelevant in college, RBs would produce exactly the same way behind the same line. At Colorado, that didn’t happen. I haven’t read the stats of all other teams, but I would suspect the same is true at most schools. There’s a reason why some players get more carries than others (i.e. they are more productive with their carries).

2018 Buffs

RB1 Travon McMillian -- 5.0 yards per carry
RB2 Kyle Evans -- 2.9 yards per carry

I think it mattered that we didn't have depth.

That is kindergarten level reasoning. You can say I haven't proven anything, but neither have you.

You can't even use that argument unless the number of carries are similar.

A good line can make an average back look great.

A RB with great vision and burst can find holes even in a mediocre line.

Insert meme...why not both?

I could, but that would be dumb. "Hey, he really didn't have that good of a game if you take away those 2 touchdown runs that totaled 150 yards." Who would even consider looking at it that way? o_O
Its like saying damn that guy hit 40 homers...and ignoring that when he didnt hit a home run he struck out 200 times and barely batted above .200.

Its like saying damn that guy hit 40 homers...and ignoring that when he didnt hit a home run he struck out 200 times and barely batted above .200.
I don't care about the long runs, I want to know did he keep the chains moving when the defense didn't suffer a total break down.

That is kindergarten level reasoning. You can say I haven't proven anything, but neither have you.

You can't even use that argument unless the number of carries are similar.

Carry volume wouldn’t matter. Every RB should produce at the same rate if your position that RBs are irrelevant were true. I’m the only respondent who’s given a reason why some RBs get more carries than others (i.e. they’re more productive). You just keep rolling with the “this is a well accepted theory.” You’re the only one advancing this theory as it pertains to college football at Colorado.

Not really. Not at all, actually. It's a matter of a guy turning nothing into big plays or hitting it when there actually was an opportunity. I have no idea what that has to do with baseball. But it does make me think you're one of those guys who gets frustrated when a home run hitter doesn't try to serve a single into the gap against the shift.

I could, but that would be dumb. "Hey, he really didn't have that good of a game if you take away those 2 touchdown runs that totaled 150 yards." Who would even consider looking at it that way? o_O
I get the argument, statistically speaking, to look at the mean and not focus on outliers. Then again Travon was the only RB that could break the big one behind that **** offensive line. If Kyle Evans or Bisharat broke a few big runs then the argument might have merit. Neither did. Ever. Travon made chicken salad out of chicken **** when no one else could. Kid was a damn good college back.

I get the argument, statistically speaking, to look at the mean and not focus on outliers. Then again Travon was the only RB that could break the big one behind that **** offensive line. If Kyle Evans or Bisharat broke a few big runs then the argument might have merit. Neither did. Ever. Travon made chicken salad out of chicken **** when no one else could. Kid was a damn good college back.
Yes. I get it from the standpoint of if we were having a Barry Sanders vs Emmitt Smith argument for best RB of that era. Barry gave you some negative plays and a lot of unpredictability while Emmitt kept the chains moving with fewer highlight reel plays. Both great. But that's not what I think this conversation is.

Not really. Not at all, actually. It's a matter of a guy turning nothing into big plays or hitting it when there actually was an opportunity. I have no idea what that has to do with baseball. But it does make me think you're one of those guys who gets frustrated when a home run hitter doesn't try to serve a single into the gap against the shift.
I'm actually a guy who thinks the shift is bush league, and if you don't want guys to beat you, pitch better.

Yes. I get it from the standpoint of if we were having a Barry Sanders vs Emmitt Smith argument for best RB of that era. Barry gave you some negative plays and a lot of unpredictability while Emmitt kept the chains moving with fewer highlight reel plays. Both great. But that's not what I think this conversation is.

Med thinks that Reggie Rivers was just as good as Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith. The other guys just had better offensive lines.

Teams have much more control over carries for a RB than at-bats for a hitter in baseball. Plus that RB is presumably mostly facing the same defense in the 4th quarter while a batter may end up facing multiple pitchers.

Med thinks that Reggie Rivers was just as good as Barry Sanders and Emmitt Smith. The other guys just had better offensive lines.
Enmity Smith is a bad example since he's actually a guy who a lot of people say benefitted from playing behind an all time O-line.

Barry was one of the few backs who had something special.

Teams have much more control over carries for a RB than at-bats for a hitter in baseball. Plus that RB is presumably mostly facing the same defense in the 4th quarter while a batter may end up facing multiple pitchers.
That guy I'm talking about is Joey Gallo, and despite his homers (long carries) he's considered a below league average player.

Look at the statistical mean. What's he doing when he's not hitting the home run (breaking the big run).

That guy I'm talking about is Joey Gallo, and despite his homers (long carries) he's considered a below league average player.

Look at the statistical mean. What's he doing when he's not hitting the home run (breaking the big run).

But again, volume carries are easy to control. A RB breaking longer runs in the 4th quarter is indicative of a clear strategy.

Enmity Smith is a bad example since he's actually a guy who a lot of people say benefitted from playing behind an all time O-line.

Barry was one of the few backs who had something special.

“A lot of people”. The dude had 5.5 ypc in college and a shade over 4 for a 13 year career. I’m sure Reggie Rivers would’ve done the same.

“A lot of people”. The dude had 5.5 ypc in college and a shade over 4 for a 13 year career. I’m sure Reggie Rivers would’ve done the same.
You must not read much about football. Emmitt Smith was a product of his line with Dallas.

Not some opinion I invented. Again.

Back