What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Spring Practices Thread

Yes. I get it from the standpoint of if we were having a Barry Sanders vs Emmitt Smith argument for best RB of that era. Barry gave you some negative plays and a lot of unpredictability while Emmitt kept the chains moving with fewer highlight reel plays. Both great. But that's not what I think this conversation is.
How dare you. Barry would still be running if he had Emmitt’s line / team balance.

How dare you. Barry would still be running if he had Emmitt’s line / team balance.
I forget who it was because it was so long ago, but I remember a prominent player talking about the Lions firing their coach for missing the playoffs. He said something along the lines of it being a very justified firing because Barry is worth 8 wins by himself when added to an NFL roster.

Adam seemed pretty upbeat about the offense. Not sure if that is just being able to see a practice, but he is usually pretty reserved.

Adam seemed pretty upbeat about the offense. Not sure if that is just being able to see a practice, but he is usually pretty reserved.
Yeah. He wasn't crazy about the 2nd team defense, but did say that some guys are limited right now and that there's a reason so many reinforcements are slated to arrive this summer. He seemed very encouraged about the OL, which was great to hear.

Yeah. He wasn't crazy about the 2nd team defense, but did say that some guys are limited right now and that there's a reason so many reinforcements are slated to arrive this summer. He seemed very encouraged about the OL, which was great to hear.

I think the secondary is kinda of a big unspoken issue. They mentioned the injuries, but it is a suspect group right now. Can Miller stay healthy? Udoffia at safety?

I actually think the O line is going to surprise this year. Hambright comes in and was good for Okie Lite. Sherman has gained 30 lbs, the interior O line will be big and mean.

I think the new style will help these guys.

I'm curious as to who the 2nd team defense is exactly?

The 2nd team d line obviously leaves a lot to be desired until reinforcements arrive.

Who is Landman's 1st team running mate at middle backer right now? JVD?

Doesn't help when three guys expected to compete for starting spots in the D backfield are no contact (Miller, Maddox, Hypolite).

Oline has a chance to be the best in a very long time. The whole issue will be if they can get and stay healthy. Depth is still an issue at the tackle position. I like the make-up of the offense if they can turn around the oline issues.

Oline has a chance to be the best in a very long time. The whole issue will be if they can get and stay healthy. Depth is still an issue at the tackle position. I like the make-up of the offense if they can turn around the oline issues.
The reason I'm optimistic about improvement on the O line is the over arching theme of players and Drew Wilson essentially slamming (in the nicest way possible) MM's weight room program.

MT is obviously looking for much different things in regards to the SC program.

Rakestraw, IMO, is a stiff. Isaiah Lewis is apparently a stiff. The three aforementioned guys I think all have some talent, but Maddox just doesn't look a safety to me. Is Ray Robinson a safety? Is he a stiff too?

I kinda like Rakestraw as a depth guy. I had forgotten about Robinson, so good question.

Hypolite being healthy would probably solve a lot of issues.

I think this goes back to the point of allowing media some more time at practices. The small tidbits we are getting to talk about is more than we've had in 2 years. I think everyone can work within the limits, but to completely cut off everyone doesn't really make any sense.

2018 Buffs

RB1 Travon McMillian -- 5.0 yards per carry
RB2 Kyle Evans -- 2.9 yards per carry

I think it mattered that we didn't have depth.

I doubt those stats tell a full story any more than Beau Bisharat's team leading 6.81 yards tells the story.

Baseball Statisticians will tell you that a pitchers ERA or a batters BA will vary in a given season by a fair amount, by just bad luck. Hitters tend to hit just as many solid contacts year to year, but their BA drops 40 points, simply because they had a bad-luck year where they hit it right at the fielder more often. Over several seasons, this averages out.

Evans had 60 some carries. It's possible that when he was in, we just simply weren't clicking on offense. That the holes weren't there. I rewatch just about every game on TV, and I rarely saw gaffs in the RB game, I saw major gaffs in blocking though.

I don't happen to believe the RB is #2 behind QB in importance. I think an elite LT or WR have more value. For years, I have seen UFAs, later round draft choices, or other no-names take over the spot and be very productive, often as productive as the much more famous guy he replaced. This seems MUCH more frequent than any other skill position on offense, almost like it happens frequently.
But no, I'm not going to argue there's not differentiation at the position, mostly because I'm not going on an island with Medford! But I think it's behind QB/WR/LT and lumped in with the rest.

Sounds like Smith and Broussard are showing something, which is perhaps a surprise as we tend to overlook them. Hagan and crew took them in 2018 over Jermar Jefferson (freshman All-PAC 12 frosh of the year offense) and Max Borghi (Honorable mention All-PAC12 frosh of the year offense)..... We're loaded at RB!!!!

Sherman has completely transformed.
54523411_2737615996264976_1369988193968979968_o.jpg

Can everyone take the slap fight to casa Bonita so I can read what duff and nick say and decide to be optimistic or sad!
I'm very optimistic about the offense after adding Hambright as our LT and Harris as our TE. We'll have guys emerge at RB, we just might be playing a lot of youth there.

Defensively, I think Landman gives us the best player on the field most games and that Mustafa is an all-conference level guy on the line. What we need is to see the corners and a safety develop so that Taylor has the freedom to be a wildcard along with Sami to be a wall in the middle of the line. If those things happen, we'll put a good defense on the field. If they don't, we've got some serious holes.

I really like where we are on special teams this year across the board.

Can everyone take the slap fight to casa Bonita so I can read what duff and nick say and decide to be optimistic or sad!

My ice cold take is this is a 5-7 win team. Not enough depth to be a real contender in the South, but enough talent (including some elite players) to be a bowl team. Can we win some swing games?

Obviously, coaching staff is an unknown here.

Back