What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Official Spring Practices Thread

Montez has NEVER run zone read. We've shown zone read, but it isn't zone read if your QB never pulls it. Everyone and their brother knew 98% of time we were going to give it to the back. That's not zone read. Just sayin'...
He has ran it before, but very limited. The last staff didn't really run any zone read, but when they did, CU got good production.

He has ran it before, but very limited. The last staff didn't really run any zone read, but when they did, CU got good production.
The last staff SHOWED Zone Read, but never really ran it the way it was intended. I swear they didn't know what to do with it. I got the feeling the times Montez did pull it was because he was told to, not necessarily because he made a read. That's not on him, that's on the coaches. Hoping to see some TRUE Zone Read this season.

The last staff SHOWED Zone Read, but never really ran it the way it was intended. I swear they didn't know what to do with it. I got the feeling the times Montez did pull it was because he was told to, not necessarily because he made a read. That's not on him, that's on the coaches. Hoping to see some TRUE Zone Read this season.
Not sure what games you watch. The offense didn't run it much, and Steven only kept it when it was wide open. But he kept it enough to make it effective and make the D respect it. When they didn't, he generally galloped.

CU probably did, he just changed the press release or something . . .
images

Attachments

• upload_2019-3-25_15-36-1.jpeg
    upload_2019-3-25_15-36-1.jpeg
    12.1 KB · Views: 9
i like the early emphasis on getting bigger and tougher. i don't really have a strong opinion on an offense we haven't seen yet, but i do know our best teams historically have been able to run the ball and have been tough upfront. i hope we still see a lot of hurry up and go-fast stuff-- i think it gives us an advantage at altitude.
This so much this! I'm excited to see with my own eyes at the spring game the shape of both lines. Coach Kap being able to develop the young men we have is the key to this season as I see it. Speaking of on the field results only, with coach Tucker, I'm not worried about the mental side of the players.

yes. a lot of pistol, at least historically. That lets you do a lot of funky play action stuff. That should be great for our QBs, especially montez. Get him rolling out and good things happen. He's got the arm to do some crazy stuff running right.

You don't have the sustained offensive success with mediocre talent that Johnson has had without being able to understand how to counter adjust as the season goes on. Chev understood a playbook. The evidence tells us Johnson understands the playbook is just about implementing your strategy. Entirely different way of approaching the game. While the offense will undoubtedly have its struggles, I am confident they will not be the same as last year.
Agreed. The real main issue was Chev not knowing how to counter adjust like you said with a weak offensive line. But I get the feeling Johnson has enough experience to know exactly what you do with a weaker offensive line, like using the middle of the field for starters. Using the tight end to open up the seams, backs to run angle routes out of the backfield. Montez never rolled out of the pocket in a designed play and that's yet another option to disguise a weak offensive line. I think you're 100% correct that the offense will struggle, but in ways that every offense struggles. Not in a "we've been found out and can't change" type of way.

Watching highlights and parts of Minnesota and ULL games when Johnson was OC you can see he runs a lot of of everything. Including QB read option, misdirection stuff, like fake fly sweeps and counters. He also ran some smashmouth straight ahead plays. His offenses seemed unpredictable and kept the other team off-balance most of the time, which helped them run the ball. It should be a big upgrade.

Really disappointed that Stanley is looking like the starting slot.. not that I think he won't do well but that means KD is going to be an X or Z depending on the formation. Makes you wonder if he just doesn't want to play from the slot since he's clearly a good physical fit for the slot and you'd think this staff would see that.

Really disappointed that Stanley is looking like the starting slot.. not that I think he won't do well but that means KD is going to be an X or Z depending on the formation. Makes you wonder if he just doesn't want to play from the slot since he's clearly a good physical fit for the slot and you'd think this staff would see that.
I think there are enough footballs to go around that we can have two guys at slot. Gotta get Arias and Brown some touches as well. Obviously Viska, too.

Outside of Viska, I haven't seen much separation and wouldn't be surprised if any of the guys who are here this spring solidified PT in this new offense.

I agree that Nixon does seem like a better fit in the slot but he is still practicing on the outside. They had Stanley with the ones and Jaylon Jackson with the twos at slot receiver during the practice that was open to the media.

KDs size is why people see him in the slot. I'm not sure he's as well suited for slot as Stanley and Jackson. They both show more elusiveness.

Would actually like to see KD used more like Leach used Borghi. Small, compact, tough guy with speed and the ability to motion out and run screens etc.

I agree that Nixon does seem like a better fit in the slot but he is still practicing on the outside. They had Stanley with the ones and Jaylon Jackson with the twos at slot receiver during the practice that was open to the media.
Who do you see starting on the outside opposite Viska? Arias or Nixon?

KDs size is why people see him in the slot. I'm not sure he's as well suited for slot as Stanley and Jackson. They both show more elusiveness.

Would actually like to see KD used more like Leach used Borghi. Small, compact, tough guy with speed and the ability to motion out and run screens etc.
Agreed. Size is the only reason KD is being discussed as a slot. He’s more straight line fast than he is elusive, which allows him to win more over the top than across the middle. The coaches aren’t stupid, contrary to popular belief.

Viska, Nixon, Brown, Arias, Stanley, Jackson, Bell, Thomas.....I feel like we can easily redshirt our incoming Freshman receivers this year.

I think the receiver position is pretty open for playing time. I doubt all of the freshmen redshirt.

Who do you see starting on the outside opposite Viska? Arias or Nixon?

Arias is the next superstar in a different way than Viska is now. Arias is more of a Randy Moss kind of guy, and has a seriously smooth stride and can really take the top off the defense. KD is awesome, but does seem to be a guy out of position. Could not stand the Fades and Jump Balls sent his way. Arias and Viska are jump ball guys. It will be hard to keep Arias off the field!

I think the receiver position is pretty open for playing time. I doubt all of the freshmen redshirt.
Between Little dropping out of the 1st round and our freshman wrs redshirting, sounds like we have some wagers on the line Duff. 4 pack of El Jefe on the line? At this point it could be a split decision but I am sure we'll find something else to disagree on.

Between Little dropping out of the 1st round and our freshman wrs redshirting, sounds like we have some wagers on the line Duff. 4 pack of El Jefe on the line? At this point it could be a split decision but I am sure we'll find something else to disagree on.

I kinda get the Arias hype, but people talking up Brown... has he really done much to warrant a lot of playing time?

Down with the bet either way.

I was just asking for what info Adam had on the WR#2 battle. I fully expect Arias to take the job and shuffle off to the NFL when he's done here, but obviously we dont know yet what kind of strides he's taken.

That AM piece got me a little excited...have been cold on football until CU MBB was done.

Back