What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

OL recruiting - a big problem

Marshall may well be our 1st fired coach if recruiting and performance doesn't improve. He isn't inspiring kids to come play at CU like Greg Brown, EB or Rip have.
I agree. I seem to recall Cal fans/boosters not being impressed with him either. We have some great ex-players...maybe one of them would like to coach?

I agree. I seem to recall Cal fans/boosters not being impressed with him either. We have some great ex-players...maybe one of them would like to coach?
Why do we need more ex-players? How about we just go get a damn good OL coach that can recruit?

I'm not exactly sure what you are just sayin. We have whiffed on OL recruits from several regions and we've closed on other recruits in those regions. Unless you're suggesting that the staff as a whole isn't putting any priority on OL it's hard not to point the finger at the position coach.

Pointing fingers is always useful. So I'm asking who the primary recruiting responsibility lies with - position coach or area recruiter? It would seem like where he's both he has full responsibility, but maybe not so much for other kids. What the staff has to do is root cause analysis - why did some of these kids like our position coach but commit elsewhere? They have to be doing that, or they can't improve as a staff.

Pointing fingers is always useful. So I'm asking who the primary recruiting responsibility lies with - position coach or area recruiter? It would seem like where he's both he has full responsibility, but maybe not so much for other kids. What the staff has to do is root cause analysis - why did some of these kids like our position coach but commit elsewhere? They have to be doing that, or they can't improve as a staff.

Certain developmental positions like QB and OL require a position coach who can close IMO. More than most positions, you rely on those assistants to do evaluations and build your board from there. I think the QB and OL boards would look dramatically different from school to school. The coach assigned to that area needs to help get recruits to campus for visits, but it will not mean much with a position coach who is a mediocre to poor closer.

I think this staff has been good at getting 90% of the way there with several OL prospects, but obviously close is not good enough.

We need to step up money for coach salaries. I'd pay a fortune to steal Adrian Klemm from UCLA.

We need to step up money for coach salaries. I'd pay a fortune to steal Adrian Klemm from UCLA.

On my phone, so no link... but you would be surprised to see where Marshall's salary ranked in the PAC-12 this past season. May be a completely different story now with all of the new hires, but pay for Marshall is not the issue here IMO.

Marshall may well be our 1st fired coach if recruiting and performance doesn't improve. He isn't inspiring kids to come play at CU like Greg Brown, EB or Rip have.

I agree that coaching is the most important aspect of OL development. That said, remember that last year was Year One with this staff. We should give Marshall a reasonable amount of time. OL training and development is time and rep intensive. It doesn't happen overnight. If we do not see a great deal of improvement this season, however, we need to start looking at Marshall.

On my phone, so no link... but you would be surprised to see where Marshall's salary ranked in the PAC-12 this past season. May be a completely different story now with all of the new hires, but pay for Marshall is not the issue here IMO.

I have it in my head that we gave him one of the multi-year contracts, but I didn't realize we paid a premium for him too.

I don't have a Scout sub but trust the source from Buffscoop that commented on it and said it was on Twitter as well.
Missed the joke, there's a recruiting thread dedicated to him that should be near the top when you click "What's New".

No it is I was just being sarcastic by saying "For real?" because his recruiting thread should have been near the top of the page.

Joke understood - back to main topic - CU just scored an above average OL recruit and I'm posting it in the OL recruiting is a problem thread. I promise I have a sense of humor - I just don't give a crap about whether or not you think I pointed this out in the right thread or not.

Joke understood - back to main topic - CU just scored an above average OL recruit and I'm posting it in the OL recruiting is a problem thread. I promise I have a sense of humor - I just don't give a crap about whether or not you think I pointed this out in the right thread or not.
Damn man no need to get worked up.

Certain developmental positions like QB and OL require a position coach who can close IMO. More than most positions, you rely on those assistants to do evaluations and build your board from there. I think the QB and OL boards would look dramatically different from school to school. The coach assigned to that area needs to help get recruits to campus for visits, but it will not mean much with a position coach who is a mediocre to poor closer.

I think this staff has been good at getting 90% of the way there with several OL prospects, but obviously close is not good enough.

Thanks. And no question the OL coach is huge, but considering a lot of recruits have said they loved Marshall, maybe more is on the area coach. Isn't he the guy who keeps in constant contact, at least sees the kid more often? I don't want to beat this to death, but isn't that relationship more important than just getting a visit?

Last edited:
As pleasing as the commitment from Sutton is, we still need some legit tackle prospects this year. Here's hoping we get that done.

As pleasing as the commitment from Sutton is, we still need some legit tackle prospects this year. Here's hoping we get that done.
Agreed. In the interim, I won't be negative nancy/wringing my hands about it as it is a long way to February signing day.

Sutton is definitely a good start. We still have a lot of work to do, though. My hand isn't jamming down the panic button any more, but it hasn't moved far, either.

I wouldn't get too worried about this. Regarding recruiting, out of all the positions on either side of the ball, OL is really an imperfect science. It is rare for a 16-18 year old to be physically or mentally developed enough to contribute on the OL right away. Even if he is 6'7", 310, it is generally a much differenct 310 than a 21-22 year old. Although I have not done the research, I would speculate that most of Wisconsin's OL over the last 10 years were not 4-5 star high school OL recruits. I also think you could apply this to Nebraska in the 80's and 90's when they were churning out OL in Milt Tenopir's "pipeline." Equally true, however, is the fact that OL development is heavily dependent on continuity in a system and good coaching. I have said for a while that Embree is a system coach. This should help us develop offensive lineman in a "pipeline" type approach. Don't get too worked up folks. We should be able to create Offensive Lineman.

Rep

What he said

I wouldn't get too worried about this. Regarding recruiting, out of all the positions on either side of the ball, OL is really an imperfect science. It is rare for a 16-18 year old to be physically or mentally developed enough to contribute on the OL right away. Even if he is 6'7", 310, it is generally a much differenct 310 than a 21-22 year old. Although I have not done the research, I would speculate that most of Wisconsin's OL over the last 10 years were not 4-5 star high school OL recruits. I also think you could apply this to Nebraska in the 80's and 90's when they were churning out OL in Milt Tenopir's "pipeline." Equally true, however, is the fact that OL development is heavily dependent on continuity in a system and good coaching. I have said for a while that Embree is a system coach. This should help us develop offensive lineman in a "pipeline" type approach. Don't get too worked up folks. We should be able to create Offensive Lineman.

Thanks for the insightful perspective. Rep sent.

I heard the same thing. Not sure about this guy, but he was the OL coach for the 2001 Big XII Championship Team, wasn't he?

Yes. There's no question that he's a quality coach on the field who develops his players and system. The question I think we're all having is whether he's dynamic enough as a recruiter. I think we'd be smart to at least bring in a young person for one of those extra grad assistant positions the NCAA now allows (4 instead of 2) to assist on the OL and be able to play Xbox with the recruits when they're on campus, relate to them more directly, etc.

Glad Sutton is on board. I'd like to see us take another 4 OL to have a complete line in this class. Hopefully there will be one or two 4 star prospects.

I don't want to sound like a Wendy's commercial in March asking "where's the beef?"

Back