What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

OL recruiting - a big problem

Nembot was a very good get by the staff.

That does not mean they get a pass for missing out on several other players. The vast majority of the players that played yesterday were recruited by the last staff. So yes, there is a serious difference between what you saw yesterday (which is a bit optimistic as it is) and what we will see on the field 2-3 seasons from now (where this staff's OL recruiting will really come into play).

Maybe 2 or 3 prospects at best, the rest were overrated. The coaches tried and kids wanted to go out of state. I see you are ignoring my opinions. which is perfectly fine. The title of this thread is OL recruiting is a big problem. I responed by saying it is not bad at least not yet. If CU doesn't recruit 4-5 stud players this cycle then it will be concern And i am not talking about some overrate instate players. Get the best players regardless of which state they come from. They have good players at each position and are about 13 man deep. Nembot, Kelly, Cotner, Lewis, Mustoe are developing well. If Asiata didn't leave school, I would have given them a B-. It is not great, but it is not a big problem either atleast not yet.

This thread is very serious, the OL is looking good, The staff did a good job recruiting and developing Nembot. Obviously they didn't get some instate players in recruiting, which is not the end of the world. OL recruiting is not a big problem atleast not yet.

so just to be clear, just because we had some guys that looked good in a limited scrimmage against a depleted defensive line, we do not need to worry about recruiting that position, especially when we had a very large class this past recruiting year and a lot of highly touted in state prospects?

Not sure if you should be throwing a DE convert to OL in everyone's face right now. Marshall had no idea he was going to even be an OL at CU.

It's also bit early to be placing any expectations on Nembot. He didn't even start playing football until '08. Every coach on the staff knows he's a project. Rushing this would be a big mistake.

Maybe 2 or 3 prospects at best, the rest were overrated. The coaches tried and kids wanted to go out of state. I see you are ignoring my opinions. which is perfectly fine. The title of this thread is OL recruiting is a big problem. I responed by saying it is not bad at least not yet. If CU doesn't recruit 4-5 stud players this cycle then it will be concern And i am not talking about some overrate instate players. Get the best players regardless of which state they come from. They have good players at each position and are about 13 man deep. Nembot, Kelly, Cotner, Lewis, Mustoe are developing well. If Asiata didn't leave school, I would have given them a B-. It is not great, but it is not a big problem either atleast not yet.

I see you ignored most of my posts in this thread as well. The in-state misses are not the issue. We missed on several good OOS prospects last year:

-Max Tuerk
-Zach Hemmila
-Nick Davidson
-Colby Cyburt
-Walker Williams
-Travis Averill
-Garrett Weinreich
-Stephon McCray
-Shane Brostek
-Steven Moore
-Jordan Williams
-Jordan Roos

(I am sure every one of these guys was overrated)

And just so you understand, attrition (Asiata) is a given, so it should not be used as an excuse.

Not sure if you should be throwing a DE convert to OL in everyone's face right now. Marshall had no idea he was going to even be an OL at CU.

It's also bit early to be placing any expectations on Nembot. He didn't even start playing football until '08. Every coach on the staff knows he's a project. Rushing this would be a big mistake.

Again not reading or ignoring my opinion. OL recuriting is not a big problem. Where did i write CU should not worry about recruiting the position ?

I see you ignored most of my posts in this thread as well. The in-state misses are not the issue. We missed on several good OOS prospects last year:

-Max Tuerk
-Zach Hemmila
-Nick Davidson
-Colby Cyburt
-Walker Williams
-Travis Averill
-Garrett Weinreich
-Stephon McCray
-Shane Brostek
-Steven Moore
-Jordan Williams
-Jordan Roos

(I am sure every one of these guys was overrated)

Read through all the thread again. Embree focus was the DL this cycle. Yes they missed on those players. If you read my response and not disregard my opinon and expect people to respect yours. You will see that I said OL recruiting is not a big problem atleast not yet. It is a concern, but not a big problem.

Read through all the thread again. Embree focus was the DL this cycle. Yes they missed on those players. If you read my response and not disregard my opinon and expect people to respect yours. OL recruiting is not a big problem atleast not yet. It is a concern, but not a big problem.

Your post does not explain why we brought in so many of those players in for unofficial or official visits.

When you acknowledge that recruiting is so much more about the players you actually sign versus just signing numbers (among other things in recruiting), I might actually be more inclined to respect your opinion.

Your opinions are irrational.

You bumped a thread about OL recruiting being a problem (which it has been) and say the O-Line "looks good to me".

Ignoring the fact that the OL was beating up on Division II talent, what does the spring game performance have to do with our failure to recruit well the last year or two at O-Line? Uh, well, nothing.

Other disconnected musings:

I would speculate that Marshall and Embree thought it was at least 50/50 that Nembot ended up on the O-Line. He's really tall for a D-Linemen. The conclusion from the debate above in February still stands. 2 guys was way light and we need to find at least 4 solid kids minimum who will develop into key contributors.

We have two commitments for this years' class. Neither is an OL, although I suppose Parsons is sort of like an OL at times. A good TE can cover for deficiencies at tackle. I suspect that's not the reason we are recruiting him, though.

I hope it looks good when you play against the DLine we have right now.
:lol:

You can't really take away anything from this game other than seeing how Wood throws the ball and how he checks down, bigbang. If our OL didn't look very good yesterday, we would be in big trouble.

Other disconnected musings:

I would speculate that Marshall and Embree thought it was at least 50/50 that Nembot ended up on the O-Line. He's really tall for a D-Linemen. The conclusion from the debate above in February still stands. 2 guys was way light and we need to find at least 4 solid kids minimum who will develop into key contributors.
You're probably correct. Not sure why they let him start practicing on the DL. Not a huge deal though. I hope he turns out well for us. He'd be a great replacement for Bahk.

Bumping this again. The next few months are crucial. We appear to be in the leader group for Dane Crane, Cameron Hunt, and Sean Harlow. All have now visited Boulder and should be deciding this summer. Landing at least 1 out of the 3 is essential IMO.

Then you have newer offers out in Texas that seem to have a favorable impression of us, but hard to tell how more offers would change those situations.

Overall, not time to panic quite yet, but we could be reaching the tipping point pretty soon. Thoughts?

Bumping this again. The next few months are crucial. We appear to be in the leader group for Dane Crane, Cameron Hunt, and Sean Harlow. All have now visited Boulder and should be deciding this summer. Landing at least 1 out of the 3 is essential IMO.

Then you have newer offers out in Texas that seem to have a favorable impression of us, but hard to tell how more offers would change those situations.

Overall, not time to panic quite yet, but we could be reaching the tipping point pretty soon. Thoughts?
sounds about right. I would prefer to land 2/3. Buffscoop's news that a) Jeremy Irwin is perhaps probable to get playing time this year; and b) that his brother may grow into an OL could change our #s here...

But with Asiata bailing on football, I don't think it does. I think we need to get 2 or 3 commits this summer on the OL for me to ease off the panic accelerator. That puts around halfway to where we need to be.

Agree on the Crane, Hunt, and Harlow. Wiffing on all 3 after having the lead would be a tough pill to swallow. Of the round 2 Texas offers, I like a few of them quite a bit. Some of them appear to be projects that need at least 3 years to develop. As successful as we've been recruiting other positions lately, if we don't get a good O-line commitment by mid-summer, we'll be in full on panic mode.

I definitely think we need at least one solid, quality BCS level o-line commit by this summer.

Bumping this again. The next few months are crucial. We appear to be in the leader group for Dane Crane, Cameron Hunt, and Sean Harlow. All have now visited Boulder and should be deciding this summer. Landing at least 1 out of the 3 is essential IMO. Then you have newer offers out in Texas that seem to have a favorable impression of us, but hard to tell how more offers would change those situations. Overall, not time to panic quite yet, but we could be reaching the tipping point pretty soon. Thoughts?
Boise State fan here. We're in on Hunt and Harlow as well, and I actually think we might be the team to beat for Hunt based on http://boisestate.scout.com/2/1178292.html this article, but anytime someone is taking their time and planning on taking all their trips that can certainly change. I think you guys have a better chance of landing Harlow than we do, but I wouldn't count us out of that race entirely either.

I'm gonna give it till mid May then go from there but I do feel good about the three BB listed.

OL Recruiting by Year (Rivals ratings)

Ryan Dannewitz (3*; #49 OT)
[strike]Bryce Givens (4*; #12 OT)[/strike]
[strike]Max Tuioti-Mariner (4*; #7 OG)[/strike]

David Bakhtiari (2*; unranked OT)
Gus Handler (2*; unranked OG)
Jack Harris (4*; #19 OT)
[strike]Shaun Simon (2*; unranked C)[/strike]

Kaiwi Crabb (3*; #42 OG)
Alex Lewis (3*; unranked OT)
Daniel Munyer (3*; unranked OG)
[strike]Eric Richter - JUCO (3*; unranked OG)[/strike]

[strike]Paulay Asiata (3*; unranked OG)[/strike]
Brad Cotner (unrated; unranked C)
Alex Kelley (3*; unranked C) - grayshirt
Marc Mustoe (3*; #51 OT)
Stephan Nembot (3*; #51 SDE)

Jeromy Irwin (3*; unranked OT)
Gerrad Kough (2*; unranked OG)
Sean Irwin (3*; unranked TE) - possible position switch to OL
Kory Rasmussen (2*; unranked DT) - possible position switch to OL

In short, this isn't going to get it done. There's nothing wrong with taking a lower rated guy or two in a class. In fact, if coaches are doing their jobs on the recruiting trail I expect some players to be discovered that they fall in love with but others miss. But the entire class can't be those guys. We definitely need to step it up this year.

Last edited by a moderator:
A lot of the reports so far have been promising, but just like last year, I've got a feeling we may be the runner-up on a lot of these kids. We really need one or two good early commitments to get things moving. And, at least in the early rankings, it looks pretty unlikely we'll land even one 4* this year, with Lopez the only real possibility right now. I do like the looks of some of the Texas kids though, and Crane would be a huge get.

We can't afford to whiff on two of the three guys BB mentioned. It would be the continuation of a horrible trend.

Seattle weather is supposed to be rain and a high in the 50s this weekend. A lot of recruits we are after will be at their Spring Game on Saturday. I hope it's miserable.

Meh. Guess I just do not see it with Sorensen. Crane and Tuerk were far away the best linemen on that team IMO.

Agreed. I'm not overly good at evaluating OL, but Sorenson just looks really big, that's about it. Crane manhandles people and Tuerk was a heck of an athletic big guy. Sorenson: big.

Back