What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

OL recruiting - a big problem

Threads like this are why every once in a while I stop reading AB. Interesting for about the first 5 posts, then just... whatever.

Edit: Then there are threads like this - Darrell Scott's unicorn - which make me value the inspired wit and creativity that inevitably emerge from supporting a program that has suffered like CU's.

Last edited:
Threads like this are why every once in a while I stop reading AB. Interesting for about the first 5 posts, then just... whatever.

Edit: Then there are threads like this - Darrell Scott's unicorn - which make me value the inspired wit and creativity that inevitably emerge from supporting a program that has suffered like CU's.
:stupid:

This thread seems like a huge over reaction to us not getting one in state kid. I mean, I know its a little more than that going back to last year. But, jeez. Why not wait until we see how things pan out this year? Of course, I don't know jack **** about recruiting like the rest of you.

:stupid:

This thread seems like a huge over reaction to us not getting one in state kid. I mean, I know its a little more than that going back to last year. But, jeez. Why not wait until we see how things pan out this year? Of course, I don't know jack **** about recruiting like the rest of you.

Not to be a dick, but this is not about missing out on one kid. It's about missing out on five kids while not getting any in-state guys. Not one. If that's not a trend, then I don't know what a trend is. We're not just missing out on a kid here or there - we're missing out on all of them.

25-large.jpg

I agree, this trend is concerning. What is even more concerning is that it doesn't sound like we're even really in consideration for most of these OL guys out of Colorado.

If Fox's case, it's hard to consider him an in-state prospect. His dad has already moved to Chicago and mom has stayed in Colorado only so Chris can finish his senior year with his friends. The whole family is moving to Chicago once he graduates. So when it comes to family being able to see a majority of games, Michigan is more of the local school for him than CU is.

(Pretty sure this was info from the Rivals board.)

If Fox's case, it's hard to consider him an in-state prospect. His dad has already moved to Chicago and mom has stayed in Colorado only so Chris can finish his senior year with his friends. The whole family is moving to Chicago once he graduates. So when it comes to family being able to see a majority of games, Michigan is more of the local school for him than CU is.

(Pretty sure this was info from the Rivals board.)

Nik, please do not let facts or reason get in the way of a good meltdown. This guy has spent more than five days within the borders of colorful Colorado, therefore he must be ours. Anything less is abject failure.

Not to be a dick, but this is not about missing out on one kid. It's about missing out on five kids while not getting any in-state guys. Not one. If that's not a trend, then I don't know what a trend is. We're not just missing out on a kid here or there - we're missing out on all of them.
Not dickish at all, :lol: I understand where you are coming from. I just think its a bit premature to make judgements. Fox's family is not a Colorado family. As for last year, I'd argue that Embry's staff paid the price for the previous regime's lack of effort in state. Plus, a couple of those kids had recently moved here and didn't really have strong Colorado ties. We'll see. I believe in this staff's ability to recruit.

We missed out on 4 in state prospects. Of those 4 does anyone know their story? Seems like more OL are starting to commit earlier and earlier which means that Embree had last spring to get in on these guys. A lot of OL guys are starting to be recruited earlier as well given that it's easy to spot who is going to be a big guy (at least for the top guys who are kind of athletic freaks at that stage by 16).

Historically when this team has won there has been a strong Colorado presence on the OL. The best players produced in this state have dispropportionately been O-linemen. The rep for the state been not a lot of skill guys but some big guys who could hit.

We have also historically lost a lot of the top guys to out of state schools, Tony Boselli to USC, Jeff Byers to USC, some kids to Texas, Michigan, OU, and a number to Nebraska.

We have also managed to keep a lot of the best ones home. Last year may have been an anomaly. Coming off the Hawk years kids weren't interested. Some were clearly already set on leaving before Embree even got here.

I'll give a mulligan for last year and even for Fox this year since he seems as well to have been a closed book. What I will say though is that if this team is going to be successful it will start on the O-line and for CU that O-line isn't happening without at least some top Colorado kids. This class needs to include quality OL talent from Colorado or we can say a trend is established and decisions will have to be made to change it. Maybe moreso than any other position O-linemen seem to commit based on relationship with the position coaches. This makes sense since it is tough thankless job where often the only real feedback you get is from that coach and your teammates. If Marshal can't inspire kids to believe that he is the guy with whom to have this relationship then his technical coaching skills don't matter.

The only way this issue goes away is with either results or a change.

I will just point out that the Team's biggest needs going forward were on defense especially in the defensive backfield, plus Tight End was a priority along with fullback. The staff did an excellent job of filling those needs. I am sure that Oline will get more focus this recruiting cycle. I would like to get some of the top players out of Colorado, but I also know that a lot of good CU players have come from other places - Andre Gurode, Chris Naole, Victor Rogers, etc. I guess I will wait until Feb. 2013 before I get too excited.

I am going to list the OOS state prospects (again) that we failed to close on in the 2012 class:

-Max Tuerk
-Zach Hemmila
-Nick Davidson
-Colby Cyburt
-Walker Williams
-Travis Averill
-Garrett Weinreich
-Stephon McCray
-Shane Brostek
-Steven Moore
-Jordan Williams
-Jordan Roos

All of these players either visited Boulder (unofficial or official) or listed us in their "favorites" group at one time or another. Most of them reside in states we want to be landing players from, particularly California and Texas. Some in the above list were always longshots with several offers and elite ratings. However, most on that list were rated solid 3* players by the services and had a handful of BCS offers.

But yes, it is simply an overreaction to Fox committing to Michigan.

I am going to list the OOS state prospects (again) that we failed to close on in the 2012 class:

-Max Tuerk
-Zach Hemmila
-Nick Davidson
-Colby Cyburt
-Walker Williams
-Travis Averill
-Garrett Weinreich
-Stephon McCray
-Shane Brostek
-Steven Moore
-Jordan Williams
-Jordan Roos

All of these players either visited Boulder (unofficial or official) or listed us in their "favorites" group at one time or another. Most of them reside in states we want to be landing players from, particularly California and Texas. Some in the above list were always longshots with several offers and elite ratings. However, most on that list were rated solid 3* players by the services and had a handful of BCS offers.

But yes, it is simply an overreaction to Fox committing to Michigan.
don't forget arthur flores

Also, of the 5 "in-state" guys (quotations because I don't know the family histories of any of them), Thurston, Callahan, Kozan, O'Connor, Fox, only the last two were dead set on leaving the state as far as I know. Callahan left for Grimes, and while it's hard to blame him, that means our coaching staff didn't compete (in his eyes). I don't know exactly why the other two left, but evidently Kozan has it hard for Michigan, too. But even if we had a legit shot at only two of them, we flopped on those two.

We're swinging and missing at these guys mainly because the Buffs have had two winning seasons in the past nine. If it had been reversed, we get probably four of those five. The last time the Buffs were in a bowl, most of these kids were in middle school. I know:
Beating-a-dead-horse.gif

5 guys with incomplete recruiting cycles is too small a sample to call it a trend. When can coaches first contact kids? Not saying it's not concerning, but the sky is not falling.

When we get into the recruiting cycle heavy.

Crazy, because I could swear I heard the exact same thing last year.

We whiffed on a big crop of OL last year, and the excuses flowed like a river - "he was always looking out of state", "we never had a chance", "he wanted to play for a particular coach", and my favorite of all time "it's still early, we can still flip him". Well guess what? we never flipped any of them. Now, it's starting all over again and I'm hearing a lot of the same excuses.

But hey, I'm overreacting. Got it. Obviously, our OL recruiting is just fine. Or it will be. Or something. I'm not really sure, but one thing I seem to be very sure of is that I'm definitely overreacting.

Considering that Michigan just snapped up 3 quality OL already, I'd say the recruiting cycle is already pretty "heavy."

Colorado is kind of a unique state in that there are a lot of transplants that can see past our borders. Most if the west is also this way. Just a fact we have to deal with while we build a solid team that becomes too good a situation to ignore for instate talent

Crazy, because I could swear I heard the exact same thing last year.

We whiffed on a big crop of OL last year, and the excuses flowed like a river - "he was always looking out of state", "we never had a chance", "he wanted to play for a particular coach", and my favorite of all time "it's still early, we can still flip him". Well guess what? we never flipped any of them. Now, it's starting all over again and I'm hearing a lot of the same excuses.

But hey, I'm overreacting. Got it. Obviously, our OL recruiting is just fine. Or it will be. Or something. I'm not really sure, but one thing I seem to be very sure of is that I'm definitely overreacting.
The bolded part was true for O'Connor, Fox, Kozan, and to a lesser extent Callahan (followed Grimes to Auburn). The biggest loss was Thurston. We need some help from the coaches here. Thurston's OL coach IIRC is a Nebraska guy and was pushing him to Nebraska, Fox's coach is a Michigan man and as Nik said we never had a shot with his family moving. Embree addressed the OL in his recruiting press conference and said they are happy with it for the 2012 class and it wasn't a big need, but it is this year. Right now we have nine known OL offers out there and the only one committed is Chris Fox. This cycle has just started so let's see how it shapes up over the summer heading into fall, then we will know if we should panic or not.

Same **** as always its early, don't worry we'll get some recruits yada,yada,yada.

At this point its tough to really care anymore about CU Football. If you can't get the best players in your own backyard I don't know how you are going to convince guys living 1,000 miles away.

I'm at the point of just show me. Tired of the excuses, tired of hearing about his family is moving there, his coach is a XXXXXX man, he liked the OL coach from XXXXXX, etc, etc. Bottom line: this staff is getting their ass kicked in state and its up to them to turn it around.

Last edited:
Same **** as always its early, don't worry we'll get some recruits yada,yada,yada.

At this point its tough to really care anymore about CU Football. You can't get the best players in your own backyard I don't know how you are going to convince guys living 1,000 miles away.

did CU sign one good player last cycle?

I do love the offseason.

I think half the posters on here have ulcers and need to be put on mood stabilizers. I guess that would make this place kind of ******. But damn people chill. Smoke something, have a beer, or a wank. I couldn't live this life of constant negativity.

Back