What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Oregon State, Gary Andersen mutually part ways with immediate effect

Hmmmm......curious-A couple initial takes here: Doesn't seem like there's some sort of NCAA scandal going on to me. Reality is Gary Andersen is took a bad situation (I think that job is the worst job in the power 5) and somehow managed to make it worse. He probably gave up that money so it wouldn't be another problem for Oregon State in their coach search......he's probably going to land a P5 DC gig, or he might wind up at BYU in some capacity (he's Mormon IIRC, and head coaches in Provo must be Mormons)
As far as a post-firing bounce.......maybe. We've gotta start fast. If we jump on them like we did last year, we'll be fine. First quarter is critical.
On their search......They're going to have to give whoever they hire 6-7 years......and it won't be Jonathan Smith. He's got a better job right now, and if UW gets to the CFP title game, he'll get a crack at better jobs than OSU. They'll call Alex Grinch (he might have a better gig right now too), Todd Orlando (the AD there is Scott Barnes....who was at Utah State when Orlando was there), and I think Beau Baldwin might be of some interest to them as well......Best option there in my mind is Paul Petrino. The record isn't sexy, but he's had some success at what might be the worst FBS job in the country in Idaho (won 9 games LY). Idaho also moves down a level after this year, and I would think there is some clause in his contract that would lessen his buyout or eliminate it altogether as a result of that.

Agree with Jens

Playing them this week.

Wonder if they are already talking to Riley's agent (through channels of course.) He may be available before the end of the season.

Anderson is a strange case. Could be a skeleton or it could just be that he got fed up with the situation, had an argument with the AD, and it ended in this.

Other potential interesting name for the job, Leavitt. Ducks fans would freak but I think he is dying to get back into a HC gig.
Finally, leavitt to Beavers!

He resigned at the same time as the coke-snorting Dolphins coach. Coincidence? I think not.

I am confident Coach Andersen left with no scandals in the closet. What I suspect happened is he was tired of losing and the squabbling among some of his assistant coaches. I was never enamored with his hires. Oregon State is not such a difficult place to recruit to. It's a beautiful campus about an hour and 20 minutes south of Portland and about 50 minutes north of Eugene. It would be better if they could expand the airport for direct commercial flights into Corvallis.

Given everything we know publicly about GA, chances are it was purely a principled decision.

But damn, that's a lot of money.

I respect Andersen for doing what he did. $ is not what it is all about and glad he showed his peers. Cheers to you Coach Andersen.
Do you even know the details of what happened outside of the "Oregon State and Gary Anderson Mutually Part Ways" headlines?

Do you even know the details of what happened outside of the "Oregon State and Gary Anderson Mutually Part Ways" headlines?
pretty confident guy to give up a $12 million payday. I admire that. (LIFE) is not all about the $. The leavitt's of the world should be ashamed.

pretty confident guy to give up a $12 million payday. I admire that. (LIFE) is not all about the $. The leavitt's of the world should be ashamed.
So just because he wanted out of that coaching situation badly enough to waive $12m, he's a beacon of admiration? What about kids he recruited to OSU and bailed on? What about his staff members and families who now have to look for work and probably move their entire lives around the country? Do you even know why he decided to give up that money, or are you just assuming he was out right fired and out of the goodness of his heart decided the University didn't need to pay him the rest of his money?

As my buddy Joe would say: Stephen Hawking would have defended better than we did in Saturday night.

As someone who had their parent die from ALS I never really find making fun of Stephen hawking particularly amusing. Especially considering how ****ing awful that disease is for anyone involved. Would you make jokes about tying your shoes better than Michael J Fox or telling your friends your wife has better tits than a breast cancer amputee? Not to be overly sensitive on that but never understood family guy doing it either.

So just because he wanted out of that coaching situation badly enough to waive $12m, he's a beacon of admiration? What about kids he recruited to OSU and bailed on? What about his staff members and families who now have to look for work and probably move their entire lives around the country? Do you even know why he decided to give up that money, or are you just assuming he was out right fired and out of the goodness of his heart decided the University didn't need to pay him the rest of his money?
actually NO. I read the article that states he came to an agreement with the AD. If he could not win at osu, he would walk away without holding osu hostage by expecting a payday. Did I strike a nerve? I am not a materialistic person, and commend those that also live by that.

As someone who had their parent die from ALS I never really find making fun of Stephen hawking particularly amusing. Especially considering how ****ing awful that disease is for anyone involved. Would you make jokes about tying your shoes better than Michael J Fox or telling your friends your wife has better tits than a breast cancer amputee? Not to be overly sensitive on that but never understood family guy doing it either.
Hell yes I'd make fun of Michael J Fox. Political correctness and I aren't exactly close. I don't take offense easily and I expect others to do the same. Life is too short to get upset over a joke.

actually NO. I read the article that states he came to an agreement with the AD. If he could not win at osu, he would walk away without holding osu hostage by expecting a payday. Did I strike a nerve? I am not a materialistic person, and commend those that also live by that.
If everything is purely as it seems, and he did in fact just walk away from $12M because he's "principled," he sacrificed to help out the OSU AD- a (relatively) huge entity that would have been ok either way.

However, his "sacrifice" screwed a lot of college kids and his assistant coaches.

So, if you think it's really noble that he helped out OSU while screwing kids and coaches, then I guess that's just like your opinion, man.

Whether Gary A. took all the money due to him or not, that fact has nothing to due with leaving his recruits and assistants "High and Dry". Quitting is quitting. Arguably, he has helped his recruits/players by leaving more $$ in the OSU AD war chest.

It’s really interesting to hear the spin on it in Utah. It’s he did this as part of a deal to make sure his assistants were taken care of. Well, is there a better place for me to take care of my staff than in the role of head coach? I really don’t get this one. He didn’t get a real shot at this, and now it looks like a tough job where they will fire you a couple years in, or in the alternative that the Coach doesn’t believe the administration will allow for wins. For me, there is no win here for anyone. Glad it’s not CU!!

If it was a purely magnanimous gesture, he could have waited 8 weeks for the season to end.

You have implied a few times that you know why he left. Care to share?

If it was a purely magnanimous gesture, he could have waited 8 weeks for the season to end.
There are different ways to look at it. If he knew he was leaving then it could be argued that it is dishonest for him to pretend like he is staying. This gives both the staff and players time to plan for the future. I remember when Coach Mac did the same thing on the day that Salaam went over 2000 yards - I thought it detracted from Salaam's moment. I actually had the opportunity to discuss that with Coach Mac a few years down the line and he was adamant that once he had made the decision he had to announce it. He said he was recruiting a QB and the prospect asked him how long he was going to be at CU, and he gave the pat answer but had been considering leaving the job to focus on other things (his family). He knew he had to make a decision and once made he had to be honest with everyone. Anderson has some of the same religious zeal as McCartney and I imagine things were hard enough without living a lie.

You have implied a few times that you know why he left. Care to share?
I didn't mean to imply that at all. Was just commenting on the idea that he is so admirable because he didn't take the $12m. Maybe he is, but have specifics even come out about this?

Edit: After reading the article, sounds like an interesting guy, to say the least. Good on him, I guess.

I didn't mean to imply that at all. Was just commenting on the idea that he is so admirable because he didn't take the $12m. Maybe he is, but have specifics even come out about this?

Edit: After reading the article, sounds like an interesting guy, to say the least. Good on him, I guess.
Gotcha. Thought you were suggesting that you knew the real reason. Just read the piece posted by hawg. Interesting guy for sure. You don't see many coaches tear up $12M contracts.

That's a weird article. As much as people want to praise him for a noble gesture... are we sure he was in the right frame of mind to be making such big decisions?

Didn't one of those articles say he was upset that funding for a $1M locker room upgrade was put on hold? If he was so ambivalent about money, why not fund those improvements with the money he didn't really need? Weird situation.

Back