What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Other Games 10/31 - 11/4

on the BBQ thing, as you move from west to east, from Texas to North Carolina......the acidity base to help tenderize the meat or sauce or whatever moves from tomato to vinegar. now, also, we live in an era of dry rubs....which is cool. but, BBQ anywhere is smoking meat for a long time at low heat.....not grilling. or just cooking outside.

I am a huge fan of all of it.

when I was a kid we had a meat smoker, low heat thing you soaked mesquite or apple or cherry or combo chips in a pan of water..... my dad hunted pheasant and quail and we had freezer in the garage full of that. and my mom made great ribs, lots of black pepper and she made her own sauce with tomato, apple butter (!) and a touch of vinegar. so that was awesome. walking home from school, you could smell that from blocks away....

that said: best BBQ i've had in a while, is Ray's in Norman Oklahoma.....Darrol Ray was a legit DB for OU and the NY Jets. got his own place in a old pizza hut, the classic old school architecture.....weird windows and top hat roof. he claims to being doing St. Louis style ribs and the chopped brisket is excellent too. falling apart tender. Ribs are so good, foolishness. don't care what style it is.....they are great.

fried okra is kinda so so, my only objection but minor.

my step dad, was an OU guy my mom remarried, really good dude.....he died cancer this summer. I was there for the hospice. If you ever in Norman, Ray's.

edit: I've lived in Norman in high school and Nashville, had a gf from Memphis, my sister lives in Durham NC.....she worked at SMU for a while in Dallas....i've had some regional BBQ. like I say, we had that meat smoker, part of growing up.
The variety is part of what makes it interesting, and delicious.

Logical that people who have grown up with a certain BBQ tradition will argue that theirs is the "right" way or the best but if you approach it with an open mind (and mouth) it can be different and very good.

The school where I taught had a smaller student body (60-90 depending on when) and we did a lot to build community. Each year we had an end of year cookout, usually burgers and dogs and chicken.

One year we had a family that was highly appreciative of what our school had done for their kids, one of whom was graduating that year. They called and told us they had a catering business and wanted to provide the lunch for our end of year cookout which we gladly accepted.

The family was Guamanian and spent the entire night roasting a pig for us as well as sides in the style that they did on Guam. All I can say is if you ever get a chance to eat Guamanian BBQ don't even hesitate. The flavors are distinctly different than what we have in the US but it is delicious. The meat was fall apart on the plate tender and the flavor went through all of it.

Almost any slow cooked meat dish can be delicious, and they're generally hard to ruin.

Unless you're Lincoln Riley. (I mean, this is football thread after all).

Almost any slow cooked meat dish can be delicious, and they're generally hard to ruin.

Unless you're Lincoln Riley. (I mean, this is football thread after all).
Oh, I've found almost every possible way to ruin slow cooked meat and I'm just a few years into this effort.

Just imagine the havoc I can wreak with more practice!

Southside Market in Elgin, Tx. is really hard to beat.
Except maybe - Blacks Barbecue in Austin, Tx

Best I've ever had.

Back