What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac 12 Coaching Carousel

I would never argue that a team from the WAC should be playing in a BCS bowl game unless it filled its non-conference schedule with ranked BCS teams and beat them.

That's a different argument, though.

We're talking about June Jones' coaching job. Hawaii's program did not have more resources or a greater ability to attract talented recruits than the other members of the WAC. It wasn't like TCU being based in Dallas. It was a heck of a coaching job to go undefeated there.

Going from 0-12 to 9-3 in year 1 is more impressive than anything else he did there.

What I find interesting is the PAC is getting so many of what I call "system guys" - Rich Rod, Mike Leach, maybe June Jones, My own bias is that I do not really care that much for that approach but these coaches have had success with their systems - I just believe there is a ceiling if you don't emphasize defense.

This.

Although I wouldn't necessarily put RichRod in the category, the "system" thing has limits. It seems to work in the sense coaches at oddball places can take less-talented (or at least hyped) players and overachieve, turn programs around and establish solid foundations. But the undefeated seasons and BCS bids are outliers. I think that describes JJ and the Pirate perfectly.

This.

Although I wouldn't necessarily put RichRod in the category, the "system" thing has limits. It seems to work in the sense coaches at oddball places can take less-talented (or at least hyped) players and overachieve, turn programs around and establish solid foundations. But the undefeated seasons and BCS bids are outliers. I think that describes JJ and the Pirate perfectly.

Why wouldn't you put RichRod in that category? He's got his zone read spread offense that everyone has stolen elements from at this point. He pairs that with a 3-3-5 defense. Both are outside the mainstream and he's not willing to change things up to play with the existing talent on the roster. Instead, he'll gut the roster and build a team for his system.

Cozzeto, the OL coach at UW is on ASU's radar, as is Helfrich and the Tennessee DC Justin Wilcox. Wow, not a very impressive list IMO. Jim Leavitt mentioned too...

Mora Jr. still the name bouncing around fUCLA....

Last edited:
Cozzeto, the OL coach at UW is on ASU's radar, as is Helfrich and the Tennessee Justin Wilcox. Wow, not a very impressive list IMO. Jim Leavitt mentioned too...

That's a very underwhelming list of candidates for what should be a pretty attractive job.

Cozzeto, the OL coach at UW is on ASU's radar, as is Helfrich and the Tennessee DC Justin Wilcox. Wow, not a very impressive list IMO. Jim Leavitt mentioned too...

Hopefully they hire one of those guys.

Rumors on the fUCLA board that UCLA is trying vet what additional NCAA sanctions Tressel would face if they tried to hire him. Unfortunately (fortunately for us) the guy posting that thought it was likely to be a 2 or 3 year coaching ban.

Also...is ASU really serious about Helfrich? Everyone know's that is Chip's offense. We certainly didn't light up any scoreboards when he was here, though I know he was pretty popular when he was at ASU and likely knows the school and it's idiosyncrasies.

Rumors on the fUCLA board that UCLA is trying vet what additional NCAA sanctions Tressel would face if they tried to hire him. Unfortunately (fortunately for us) the guy posting that thought it was likely to be a 2 or 3 year coaching ban.

Also...is ASU really serious about Helfrich? Everyone know's that is Chip's offense. We certainly didn't light up any scoreboards when he was here, though I know he was pretty popular when he was at ASU and likely knows the school and it's idiosyncrasies.

I would be very interested to see what kind of offenses Helfrich, and Kiesau for that matter, would run without AssHat Hawkins grubby little finger prints mucking everything up.

All I can say is that the classic carnival music is playing full force right now at ASsU and fUCLA.

I would be very interested to see what kind of offenses Helfrich, and Kiesau for that matter, would run without AssHat Hawkins grubby little finger prints mucking everything up.
Why do I have an image of D II finger painting when I read this post?

Why wouldn't you put RichRod in that category? He's got his zone read spread offense that everyone has stolen elements from at this point. He pairs that with a 3-3-5 defense. Both are outside the mainstream and he's not willing to change things up to play with the existing talent on the roster. Instead, he'll gut the roster and build a team for his system.

Very true. But I guess by "system" I'm thinking more that ongoing, positive results are the product of the "system," not the talent, and that it applies to weird, out-of-the-way programs that arguably rely on it to be competitive. RR runs a system, as you point out, but he generally does it with high-profile players at programs that are big time... Michigan, WVU... and were successful well before the "system" arrived. Jones, in particular, I think of as a turn-around artist whose system can resurrect a limited program but not take it to the top.

Leavitt would scare me...his teams will be hard-nosed and fundamentally sound. I thought he got the shaft at USF...it was another ESPN led inquisition. He is also a good recruiter.

Hold on to your hats...fUCLA interested in Art Briles. I always thought AB would bail as soon as RGIII was done, but I figured aTm, TT or some other TX influenced area school would be his choice.

Dunno, but fUCLA is looking to toss around huge numbers (rumored to be $4mm/yr.) and is getting desperate with Sumlin, Petey and Golden turning them down. Scuttlebutt on fUCLA boards is that the fUCLA AD thought he had Petey inhis back pocket and was surprised when Petey said no thanks and panic has now ensued.

Paying Briles $4MM is overpaying. He's a solid coach, but not a $4MM/Year coach. It will be interesting to see if the ASU, UA, UCLA and Wazzu hires provide adequate ROI. The new media contract is providing schools with money they never thought possible, and they're spending it. Some will spend it very stupidly, I suspect.

ASU boards lighting up about Kyle Wittingham. I am not sure why they think this would happen. A coach who was going toe-to-to with ASU in recruiting while a non-AQ school who is now in the same conference and division. I would think UU would step-up to retain him.

^^^Well you can drink in AZ easier than you can in Mormon land, so they have that going for them....

It sounds like UCLA is floating any and every name they can think of in the hopes that somebody will call and say "Ummm, yeah, OK, I'll coach there".

Dan Guerrero pins his career on Jim Mora Jr. This should be an entertaining meltdown

Now if only ASU would hire Mike Martz, it would be perfect. It's a very good thing that Arizona and Wazzu got the two better hires while ASU and UCLA have completely botched it

I think this is a pretty good hire for them. He'll be good in the living room and knows how to coach. Recruiting will take care of itself if he can start to win some games with the talent Slick is leaving him,

Back