What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac-12 expansion is now inevitable

Honestly Duff, what's your solution? What schools are we going to bring in? You like to whine a lot about this, but I can't for the life of me ever remember you coming up with a plan for what to do about it. I hear "We have to expand", but never who we are going to expand with or why those schools would be interested in joining the PAC 12.
Whomever they bring in, they damn well better be accretive. Amirite?

I'm pretty sure the 160 million encompasses the athletes village, new operations and practice facility for both football and basketball.
You are correct, thanks for the clarification. Still, this is a big facility after spending around $300 million on a brand new stadium.

The ones you are 100% sure are not interested. Come on, I have pretty consistent here.

Texas, OU, and two other schools. I know it a "non-starter" for you, but that does not mean it the wrong answer.
So, how do you propose we get Texas, OU, and two random other schools that remain nameless to join our conference?

So, how do you propose we get Texas, OU, and two random other schools that remain nameless to join our conference?

Pretty much whatever it takes. I certainly would not be turning them away out of spite.

This discussion is pretty much done since you have no intention entertaining the notion those schools will ever leave the Big 12.

I think you have to wait it out at the current moment. The Pac-12 is still the only conference that can take the package of OU, OSU and UT if they want to stick together. They offer the best or 2nd best place from a competitive standpoint (maybe UT and OU joining the Big-10 west would be better) since them joining the SEC would be an absolute blood bath and with the bundling issue going on at the moment who knows how the network deals will look like in 2025 so the Pac-12 could be in great position when that comes around since they own their rights 100%.

Pretty much whatever it takes. I certainly would not be turning them away out of spite.

This discussion is pretty much done since you have no intention entertaining the notion those schools will ever leave the Big 12.
The discussion is not done.

What's it going to take to get those schools here?

Are we seriously going to have this conversation again 10 days later?
We've never actually had this conversation. It's always been "oh S.H.I.T., everybody is passing us by. We need to expand or die". All I'm asking is how do we actually pull that expansion off? It's turning out to be a pretty difficult question to answer.

If you are Texas an OU there are a couple factors to consider:
1) money
2) academics (OU is actually trying to improve this a lot)
3) geography
4) competition

In the Big-10, they would get good academics, great money, and probably be in a good spot competitively being in the Big-10 west with all the powers in the East but the geographic balance would be terrible and they would have to leave OSU and another Texas school.

In the SEC, the get good money and a geographic fit but are in a terrible spot competitively and academically and also have to leave OSU and another Texas school behind.

In the ACC, GREAT academics and likely good money but terrible fit geographically and only one of OU and UT could go. Competitively it would be a good fit though.

In the Pac-12, they would likely bridge the money gap between the conference and the Big-10/SEC, the academics are as good as the can get research wise, competitively would be a great fit with their own 4-team pod or even an eastern conference with CU, Utah, ASU and UA. The downsides are about geography being a lot further away in the Pac and potential for late night games (which I don't see OU and UT having these issues).

Here is what you would have to overcome if you want to entice UT into the Pac12...

1. Starting in 2011, the parties are bound for 20 years, Texas receives $10,980,000 per year, with an annual increase of three percent.
  2. Once ESPN recovers its initial $295 million investment, Texas receives 70 percent of the profit.
  3. Texas can force ESPN to fire any employee who “does not reflect the quality and reputation desired by UT.” This is a network by Texas and for Texas.
  4. If Texas leaves the Big 12, the school must keep the terms of the present agreement, provide ESPN an exclusive 60-day window to negotiate for the other rights and allow ESPN a 48-hour window to match any offer.
  5. A prohibition on licensing content to third parties, prevents Texas from participation in a potential Big XII network
  6. Sports Illustrated's Andy Staples did the bar napkin math and estimates the SEC Network delivered around $6.5 million to each school. That means Texas has a richer third-party TV deal. Texas is making more money off TV than Texas A&M is in the SEC.
Link Link

I'll guess that part 4 of the above is particularly thorny obstacle as I would assume, but cant find, if its tied to a break up clause that has UT paying ESPN if they leave. Unless UT joins a conference that is already mostly owned and controlled by ESPN like the SEC with its ESPN owned and operated SEC network. Or a conference like the ACC that doesnt yet have its own network.

Texas is obviously the big fish. What if you took Oklahoma, OU, Texas Tech, and TCU or Houston? You now would have a pretty good presence in the Central time zone, specifically in Texas. But just not the ideal situation.

Last edited:
I think there is a chance that ESPN would bail on the LHN with the corporate bloodletting they are going through right now if given the opportunity. It would give them more working capitol to prop up the SEC Network. As much as many of us dislike the Horn's one thing that is indisputable is the fact, Good CU teams equal a strong presence in Texas. It is true historically, and is starting to show its face once again.

So, "whatever it takes" is gonna be hard?

Damn.

What if they took UT out of the equation? What would it take to get OU and KU, or OU and OSU if they couldn’t be split?

The State of Texas has several schools that get the Pac into Texas without having to kiss the ring of Tex-ass.

I don’t want that headache again.

Taking UT out of the equation wouldn't provide the kind of revenue bump we would need.

There is talk that UT might be willing to extend the Big 12's GoR until 2030 when its LHN deal is expiring. But UT doesn't give anything unless it gets at least as much in return. So I think that's the leverage they're going to use to get the networks to accept paying up on adding 4 teams.

So, the very earliest we could realistically hope to get UT into the PAC 12 would be 2030?

Is our only chance at staying relevant dependent upon adding UT to the conference? It's UT or we collapse into irrelevancy and second class status?

So, the very earliest we could realistically hope to get UT into the PAC 12 would be 2030?

Is our only chance at staying relevant dependent upon adding UT to the conference? It's UT or we collapse into irrelevancy and second class status?
No, ESPN would likely give up the longhorn network anytime UT wanted to and the conference could fall apart with KU, OU, OSU, UT, TTU, TCU deciding to leave for other conferences at any time. Just because a grant of rights is extended doesn't mean the existing members can't decide to disband. It's all fliud and dependent on what these schools want for the long-term.

No, ESPN would likely give up the longhorn network anytime UT wanted to and the conference could fall apart with KU, OU, OSU, UT, TTU, TCU deciding to leave for other conferences at any time. Just because a grant of rights is extended doesn't mean the existing members can't decide to disband. It's all fliud and dependent on what these schools want for the long-term.
So what can we do to push that process along?

Back