What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac-12 hires MGM's George Kliavkoff to replace Larry Scott as commissioner

As the article stated, they run multi billion dollar businesses that are disguised as higher education, where the AD is more of a nuisance than anything. They aren’t dumb. Do they care about sports enough to allocate more resources is the question.
I can agree with that and that is what scares me. Other P5 conferences have made that distinction quite easily and the results are very positive.

Dude.

Mark_Kennedy2019a.jpg
Kennedy has kept a low profile the last year after his missteps at the start of COVID. I bet he will have nothing but a rubber stamp on the hire and Rick G. and Phil D. will be the decision makers.

Kennedy has kept a low profile the last year after his missteps at the start of COVID. I bet he will have nothing but a rubber stamp on the hire and Rick G. and Phil D. will be the decision makers.
Kennedy has a hard time getting out of his own way. If it’s possible to **** something up, he will figure out a way.

Good, but kind of a long read. The 5 points are below, but he dives into each one pretty extensively.

1. Admit that football is important​

2. Sell recruits on the advantages of the West Coast​

3. Lead the push to expand the College Football Playoff​

4. Pac-12 TV rights should embrace the streaming market​

5. Make the LA schools great again​

Good, but kind of a long read. The 5 points are below, but he dives into each one pretty extensively.

Hmmm. My version of the article has #5 as “Make Colorado great again.” You must’ve read an outdated edition.

The annoying thing about this is that it isn't rocket science. Very basic stuff.

I get USC, but the notion that the Pac 12 needs to rely on UCLA as a football power is dumb
Ucla being good goes a long way in keeping california talent in the conference though. They don’t need to be amazing or anything but when they are bad it really hurts the conference.

It would help Pac-12 schools retain So Cal talent if they would hire distinguished So Cal recruiters like Demetrice Martin.

The Presidents seem conflicted. But revenue. And media ind experience. Thats probably good.

not all the presidents believe that a background in college sports, and college football specifically, is of paramount importance.

In fact, four sources briefed on the process told the Hotline that strong consideration is being given to executives from the sports business world — either professional sports leagues or the sports media industry.

In every case, the emphasis is on candidates with expertise in revenue generation.

That headline did not really match the article at all.
Valuing revenue creation and strong leadership while not caring about (or even disliking) Pac-12 ties sounds good to me.

I would value college sports background since I do think it's important the commissioner knows the landscape, but Wilner thinks that's the most important thing. Ummm, if you can hire a consultant for media and revenue as Wilner says... doesn't it also stand to reason that the commish can hire advisors on NCAA and campus issues?

I mean, which area of the job does an elite performance justify the salary? (Hint: it's not lobbying committees on NCAA rules changes or making ADs feel included.)

Valuing revenue creation and strong leadership while not caring about (or even disliking) Pac-12 ties sounds good to me.

I would value college sports background since I do think it's important the commissioner knows the landscape, but Wilner thinks that's the most important thing. Ummm, if you can hire a consultant for media and revenue as Wilner says... doesn't it also stand to reason that the commish can hire advisors on NCAA and campus issues?

I mean, which area of the job does an elite performance justify the salary? (Hint: it's not lobbying committees on NCAA rules changes or making ADs feel included.)
money kid GIF by indigenous-media

The Presidents seem conflicted. But revenue. And media ind experience. Thats probably good.

not all the presidents believe that a background in college sports, and college football specifically, is of paramount importance.

In fact, four sources briefed on the process told the Hotline that strong consideration is being given to executives from the sports business world — either professional sports leagues or the sports media industry.

In every case, the emphasis is on candidates with expertise in revenue generation.
I thought there was a previous post that stated the presidents weren’t dumb and they would do what’s best for the conference. This is, indeed, very conflicted.
:unsure:

That headline did not really match the article at all.
I also don’t think Nevarez was a serious candidate and was only floated by media types who liked her narrative. She’s a competent commissioner of a conference that doesn’t have football and has an 800 lb gorilla raking in all the conference’s basketball revenue. The secondary tv deal for the WCC is with the Mormon church. What exactly about that qualifies her Pac-12 commissioner?

I'm no fan of the way the Pac 12 Presidents have run this conference into the ground, but there seems to be a huge agenda by prominent media members to put out clickbait headlines and **** on the conference with essentially nothing but random speculation from anonymous sources to back it up.

Isn’t DiStefano technically the “President” of the university as it relates to issues with the conference? I know I bagged on Kennedy earlier, but I actually think it’s DiStefano who represents the school with the PAC 12.
Always inspiring confidence, Phil.

I'm no fan of the way the Pac 12 Presidents have run this conference into the ground, but there seems to be a huge agenda by prominent media members to put out clickbait headlines and **** on the conference with essentially nothing but random speculation from anonymous sources to back it up.

And who is leaking that info to the media?

I am scratching my head at how these latest updates are bad news.

Just what the doctor ordered for 12 presidents/chancellors.

‘Have run it into the ground’ is a little harsh

As a nationally competitive football conference, on and off the field, there's really no other way to describe it
is it tho?

The math suggests not the bottom but a mixed picture. The Pac12 was 3rd in revenue and 4th in payout amount per member (below). Thats while also having the oldest rights agreement among all P5 conferences. And this is a conference that only had 1 team in a NYD bowl or higher (Oregon) while all the other conferences had multiple teams (PSU Wisc tOSU; UF UGA LSU; OU Baylor; Clemson Virginia)

Tax year 2019 released summer 2020:
  1. The Big Ten brought in $781.5 million in total revenue
  2. The SEC had $720.6 million in total revenue
  3. The Pac-12 reported $530.4 million
  4. The Atlantic Coast reported $455.4 million
  5. The Big 12 reported $439 million

1. The Big Ten(14 teams) had payouts of about $55.6 million to each
  2. The SEC(14) had average payouts of nearly $45.3 million each
  3. The Big 12 (10) reported payouts ranging from $38.2 million to $42 million
  4. The Pac-12 reported payouts of about $32.2 million per school*
  5. The Atlantic Coast(14+1) reported payouts averaging from $27.6 million to $34 million ($6 million to ND)
*That figure does not take into account the equity value of the Pac-12 Networks, the conference’s fully self-owned television and video content provider whose expenses help result in the conference passing less money to its member schools than the other conferences.

Selling the Pac12 Network (or shutting it down) in the next rights agreement would probably move us up significantly.

Where youre both right is the ability to hire and retain big name coaches Because revenue is lacking.

Back