What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Pac-12 hires MGM's George Kliavkoff to replace Larry Scott as commissioner

People withdrawing their names from consideration must mean a hire isn’t too far away.

Reactions: DBT
Wilner blows. But he is our only source for (dis) information, unfortunately.

I generally like Wilner, but he has helped feed the media narrative that the search is a **** show. Now he is non-committal on a positive rumor because everything is tight-lipped? Huh?

I generally like Wilner, but he has helped feed the media narrative that the search is a **** show. Now he is non-committal on a positive rumor because everything is tight-lipped? Huh?
Don’t think he has ever embraced CU’s move to the PAC. Can’t say I blame him.

At least a lot of the presidents have changed. Hard to have confidence in anyone who continued to think Larry was doing a good job.

I don’t know how this ends well. Wilmer is pretty in tune with what goes on in the PAC-12.

Eh, he's been driving this "incompetent search" narrative for a while now, with nothing to base it on. Maybe he ends up being right, but he doesn't know much about the search at this point.

Thamel's Tweet is ****ty, though. Luck would have been a great hire. We'll see

Eh, he's been driving this "incompetent search" narrative for a while now, with nothing to base it on. Maybe he ends up being right, but he doesn't know much about the search at this point.

Thamel's Tweet is ****ty, though. Luck would have been a great hire. We'll see
He know more than anyone else so I'm going to trust him. I'm guessing he's been "driving the narrative" because what have the presidents shown to prove us otherwise?

He know more than anyone else so I'm going to trust him. I'm guessing he's been "driving the narrative" because what have the presidents shown to prove us otherwise?
But when it comes to this search, he doesn't know more than anyone else (no one seems to know anything). If you follow his comments over the last few weeks, he doesn't have any kind of actual information, he just hedges everything with "they could make a great hire, but the Presidents are also idiots so I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bad hire"

But when it comes to this search, he doesn't know more than anyone else (no one seems to know anything). If you follow his comments over the last few weeks, he doesn't have any kind of actual information, he just hedges everything with "they could make a great hire, but the Presidents are also idiots so I wouldn't be surprised if it was a bad hire"
Okay. I can see your point from WIlner's takes.

What's your personal opinion? Do you think the presidents make a good hire in the end? I would go 20% chance of a great hire. 40% chance of an okay hire. 40% chance of a colossal **** up.

Okay. I can see your point from WIlner's takes.

What's your personal opinion? Do you think the presidents make a good hire in the end? I would go 20% chance of a great hire. 40% chance of an okay hire. 40% chance of a colossal **** up.
I have no idea. I tend to err on the side of optimism, but I'm probably in the minority on that when it comes to the Pac 12.

Generally, I think people tend to learn from mistakes and do a better job the second time around. I think the Presidents are intelligent individuals who have seen their athletic conference fall well behind and become less competitive on a national stage. I think they are very capable of making a really good hire...

...IF they prioritize football. I'm not confident they are willing to go "all in" with the sausage factory that is college football, though. If they don't prioritize it as collective group, then the hire will likely seem uninspired.

Surprise live reveal seems like a strange approach does it not? Why wouldn't they just have a normal press release and then bring him in like any normal announcement. Either they think they hit a home run, or have no idea what they are doing. I guess those aren't mutually exclusive.

Surprise live reveal seems like a strange approach does it not? Why wouldn't they just have a normal press release and then bring him in like any normal announcement. Either they think they hit a home run, or have no idea what they are doing. I guess those aren't mutually exclusive.
I was going to say the same thing. With how close to the vest this search has been played and this scheduled announcement, I feel like we are either going to be elated or depressed

No Luck. This hire better not be anyone weird or the P12 is going to get smashed, and rightfully so.

My guess is it is Gene Smith. Some worry from that side that an announcement is coming on some unknown topic. Could be completely unrelated as well.

Back